Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #176  (Read 4290 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #176
« on: September 13, 2007, 01:55:10 PM »
ShadowGram Online Dark Shadows News Updates List
Marcy Robin's Cyberspace "Dark Shadows" News Update List
An Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM
< ShadowGram@aol.com >

Number 176.  September 12, 2007.

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news.

**** HOTEL ROOM RESERVATIONS NOW BEING ACCEPTED -
2008 DS FESTIVAL - BURBANK, CA - JULY 18-20, 2008

SG Online Update #175 (Sept. 3) announced early information about the 2008 DS Festival's "DS Resurrected" event at the Burbank Marriott Hotel & Convention Center, July 18-20, 2008.

The Burbank Airport Marriott Hotel & Convention Center is located at 2500 Hollywood Way, Burbank, California 91505. 1-818-843-6000.

The hotel is located directly across the street from the Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena (Bob Hope) Airport (BUR), which is served by major airlines that travel across the US and beyond.

SG will announce and Fest update programming, guests, membership rates, and other information as these plans are finalized.

--- SG Premiere Announcement:

The hotel now is taking sleeping room reservations for the event. There is a limited number of rooms at the special reduced rate of $129 (+ tax) per night. You may reserve via phone or online, but you must mention "Dark Shadows" to receive this rate. Fans are advised to make their complete hotel and travel arrangements well in advance.

PHONE Reservations: 1-818-843-6000 (Ask for Reservations Department).

ONLINE Reservations: "Cut and paste either of the links below and include with your electronic correspondence to facilitate the reservation process. You will be directed to the property's home page with the code already entered in the appropriate field. Then enter your arrival date to begin the reservation process." Remember you must mention "Dark Shadows" when making your reservation to receive the special room rate.

Burbank Airport Marriott Hotel & Convention Center:

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/burap?groupCode=dswdswa&app=resvlink&&http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/burap?groupCode=dswdswa&app=resvlink

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/burap?groupCode=dswdswa&app=resvlink

The hotel provides free shuttle service to and from Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena Airport (directly across the street).

On-site parking is available for $4 per hour or $14 per day.

--- Nearby scenic, historic, and tourist attractions include:
(Distance range up to approximately 15 miles):

Universal Studios Hollywood & Entertainment Center
Universal City Walk (featuring shopping, restaurants, and more)

Griffith Park - featuring, among other unique attractions:
Los Angeles Zoo
Gene Autry Western Heritage Museum
Los Angeles Equestrian Center
Travel Town

Hollywood & Highland Entertainment Complex

Hollywood Bowl Entertainment Center

Beverly Hills

Pasadena / Old Town Pasadena / Rose Bowl

Dodger Stadium (sporting venue)

LA Theater District - Staples Center - Downtown Los Angeles

Santa Monica Pier / Beach cities

--- Disneyland / Downtown Disney is approximately 45-50 miles to the southeast. Also within that vicinity are a number of Orange County attractions.

--- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is approximately 28 miles to the southwest. There are various long-range shuttle van/bus services, taxi cabs, and car rental facilities at LAX to provide transportation to Burbank.

--- Burbank Amtrak Train Station is less than a half-mile west of the Marriott Hotel. Additionally, local Metrolink trains connect with extended rail lines throughout the Southern California region..

--- The hotel has on-site restaurants, lounges, and other facilities and maintains a non-smoking environment.

SG #112 and subsequent print issues will highlight all confirmed plans and other information for the Festival event.

Fans may send a SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) to the Fest address. It will be used for the general mass mailing, to be sent after all event details are finalized.
Dark Shadows Festival, P.O. Box 92, Maplewood, NJ 07040.

**** DAVID SELBY ATTENDS OPENING NIGHT OF HIS PLAY "FINAL ASSAULT" - CANTON, OHIO - OCT. 19, 2008

SG #110 print issue announced David's dramatic play "Final Assault" would be staged in Canton, Ohio, this fall. David's wife Chip tells SG "he will meet and greet either before the play or after" the performance on Opening Night - Fri., Oct. 19 - only.

The production is part of the Players Guild Theatre's 76th season and runs through Oct. 27. Performances are on Fri. and Sat. evenings at 8:00 pm and Sunday matinees are at 2:30.

Publicity: "Famed for his leading roles on the daytime and nighttime soaps 'Dark Shadows' ((Quentin)) and 'Falcon Crest' ((Richard Channing)), actor David Selby will attend the Oct. 19 opening performance of his play, 'Final Assault,' at the Players Guild's Arena Stage.... Selby's script focuses on the conflict between a coal-mining company and local environmentalists."

SG #110 noted that "Final Assault" - written by David and directed by his son Jamison Todd - had its world premiere in Charleston, WV, in April, 2003. (See SGs #98-99 print issues.) It is an intense, reality-based story of actual coal-mining practices that remove entire mountaintops, destroying natural habitats, animal life, and other resources, and taking a toll on humans as well.

The Players Guild's Arena Stage is at the Players Guild Theatre, 1001 Market Avenue North, Canton, OH 44702. (Located in the Cultural Center for the Arts / next to the Civic Center)

Tickets are $15 for opening night and $10 for other performances. They may be ordered by calling the Box Office at (330) 453-7617 (Mon. - Sat. 10 am - 2 pm).

Website: http://www.playersguildtheatre.com/show_lineup.html

--- All fans attending "Final Assault" are invited to please share local publicity, articles, reviews, media materials, program books, and their photos and reports to help SG readers worldwide enjoy the production through your experience. A Contributor's Copy issue is given in thanks for major input. Please send all materials to SG's e- or postal- mail addresses later in this Update.

**** KATE JACKSON IN REPEAT GAME SHOW APPEARANCE

Kate (Daphne Harridge) plays "Match Game," airing weekdays at 2:30pm the week of Sept. 28 to Oct. 4 on the Game Show Network.

**** MARIE WALLACE SHARES THE 2007 DS FESTIVAL ON HER WEBSITE

SG Online Update #175 briefly reported the Aug. 17-18 Fest convention in Tarrytown, NY, celebrating the 40th Anniversary of JONATHAN FRID's first appearance as "Barnabas." Jonathan delighted our standing-room-only audience with his personal reminscences about DS, a Q&A session, and a riveting presentation of dramatic and humorous readings live onstage and on video. The upcoming SG #112 print issue will feature the convention with pictures and more details.

Marie (Eve, Mad Jenny, Megan Todd) was among our invited DS guests. She has posted some Fest pictures on her official website. She also continues the special offer for her personal memoir, "On Stage & In Shadows." The book features a Foreword by Jonathan and chronicles her fascinating acting career. She autographs the book and includes personally-signed photos for a special single price.

Marie Wallace, P.O. Box 421, Parkville, NY 12768-0421.

*** All the above news will be expanded and detailed in the coming published SG #112 Official DS Newsletter & News Source.

**** Subscription information for the ShadowGram Newsletter print issues follows. When your order arrives, I will send you the new SG #111 published issue to start your subscription. SG #112 and subsequent issues will be sent to postal-mail subscribers as they are published..

Thank you.
Marcy Robin

ShadowGram Editor / Publisher
Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766
E-mail: ShadowGram@aol.com

SHADOWGRAM (SG) is the * Official * "Dark Shadows" Newsletter. Much of its news is provided by the show's personnel and those involved in the 1966-71 TV series, 1991 TV series, and 2004 WB pilot. Established in 1979, SG works directly with individuals, companies, and others involved in DS' creation, distribution, promotion, merchandise, etc.

Regular SG print issues are published throughout the year, with free bonus complimentary breaking-news published updates as needed.

Brief Update bulletins are posted on this ShadowGram Online "Dark Shadows" News Updates List / Marcy Robin's ShadowGram "Dark Shadows" Cyberspace News Updates List. These posts are sent via e-mail between regularly-published issues to quickly notify fans of time-sensitive developments. Each e-mail Update is expanded and detailed in the subscription postal-mail print issues. You also can receive this identical SG Online Update by joining the ShadowGram Group at yahoogroups

SG postal-mail print issues are immediately available:
--- US & Canadian First Class subscriptions: $12.00 for 4 issues, $24.00 for 8 issues.
---Overseas Air Mail subscriptions: US $20.00 for 4 issues, US $40.00 for 8 issues.

Please send print issue subscription payment to:

Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766.

Online subscription payment can be made via Paypal to: ShadowGram@aol.com

For more information on the newsletter, please write with a SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) to the above postal-address or e-mail ShadowGram@aol.com

Whenever your e-mail address changes, please notify me immediately. Please include your old and new e-mail addresses. If you do not wish to remain on the Online "ShadowGram / Marcy Robin's Cyberspace Dark Shadows News Update List," please notify me directly via return e-mail. Thank you.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
Re: ShadowGram Update #176
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 04:36:53 PM »
Woo Hoo!!!!!  [cheer]

Next year in Burbank!!!!!   8)

Let's all do the DS wave!!!!
 [thewave]

Got Reservations???

We do!!!  ;D

Thanks, Adamsgirl!!!   [wavey]

Judy [angl]

P.S. Do we get the GALA back?  Pleaseohpleaseohplease!!!  [toothy10]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 04:41:39 PM »
Anyone know what their cancellation policy is? Is it the same as this past fest, where you can cancel up to 6 days before hand?
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:14:18 PM »
Anyone know what their cancellation policy is? Is it the same as this past fest, where you can cancel up to 6 days before hand?

You can always cancel, sometimes they only need 24 hours notice.  When you call just ask them.   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:55:26 PM »
Got Reservations???

We do!!!  ;D

Thanks, Adamsgirl!!!   [wavey]

P.S. Do we get the GALA back?  Pleaseohpleaseohplease!!!  [toothy10]

You're quite welcome, Judy! I made the reservation as soon as you let me know this a.m.! And, yes, the return of the costume gala will be most welcome. Because, as we all know, it's "knock, knock, knock upon those hallowed doors -- our English cousin's here!"

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 02:40:16 AM »
I have my reservation also for the 17th-21st. The 16th is sold out. :P
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 03:00:03 AM »
I'm surprised--and very impressed--that the details of how to reserve a room are being released so early.  The advance notice about the Festival is truly, truly appreciated!  I've already made reservations. :)

ProfStokes

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 03:01:48 AM »
How exciting - this has GOT to be the earliest I have ever seen this info available!!!  Just made our reservations - I'm IN!!!  Can't wait - woo hoo!!!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 04:09:15 AM »
Got my reservation too
Now all I need is approval from my boss for the time off.......LOL

LdyAnne

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 04:12:17 AM »
I hope that more rooms wll be made available soon, as I wound up calling than reserving online as I usually do.  I was got 3 nights at DSF rate, then, fortuantely, was able to add a Rewards night and a AAA night which will add up to almost the same.  The helpful (and I mean this sincerely, she was pretty cool) reservation associate commented that I was "another  of our Dark Shadows friends", so she (and others)  must have been kept hopping with our wild rush to reserve. ;)
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 04:41:28 AM »
If I make a reservation I'll definitely ask to be sure of what their cancellation policy is. Now I just have to find someone to go with me. Maybe I'll just come by myself? Hmm.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 09:33:16 AM »
I've made my reservation, too! [cheer] I'm so glad the Fest will be in my home state next year! [clap2] I'm also very happy that reservations can be made so soon. [cheesyg] It's a far cry from this year's Fest! [winkg]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 12:58:59 PM »
Brandon, when I made my reservation, I was told all they needed was a 24-hour notice of cancellation, which is the norm with the Marriotts. One caveat for those of you who haven't yet made a reservation: The $129 rate is only for a single/double room. If you have more people in your room, it goes up to $149, and for three or four, it's $169. Go figure!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 03:20:08 PM »
Maybe I'll just come by myself? Hmm.
Hey, I did that once when I failed to drum up interest.  It was actually kind of relaxing and I didn't have to consult with anyone as to what I wanted to do next, where to eat, etc. 
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »
Why not?  You know people from here; you only need to find a way to identify other cousins and meet up with people.  In all the years I have gone to a fest or any DS event, I've never gone with anyone and that includes boyfriends.   I want to talk to my friends and not have to worry about entertaining him too.

Nancy

Now I just have to find someone to go with me. Maybe I'll just come by myself? Hmm.