Author Topic: Re: The ShadowGram Survey  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The ShadowGram Survey
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2005, 11:41:38 AM »
When did sexandviolence become one word?  That usage annoys me to death.

I can't stand watching violent content....everything from car chases to shoot-outs makes me change the channel, without hesitation.  It doesn't entertain me, it doesn't amuse me, and it very rarely moves the story along in any meaningful way.  Unfortuanately, it seems to show up most frequently on the evening news, and THAT I can't ignore, but that's a topic for a different forum.

Sexually explicit content is an entirely different thing.  It can be joyful, beautiful, funny, or sad.  No, it's not appropriate for children too young to really understand what they are looking at.  But not everything shown on TV has to be tailored for an audience of children.

Like it or not, Vampires are sexual symbols.  I'm hard pressed to think of a more blatent sexual symbol in literature.  And these being the times in which we live, a cable-produced, more explicit version of Dark Shadows should not come as a surprise to anyone.

If a new Dark Shadows was actually going to happen..... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2005, 04:22:38 PM »
I replied to the survey, but count me among those who are deeply skeptical that any new version of Dark Shadows will ever see light of day.

Guess I really feel like we DS fans got burnt by the whole fiasco with the WB.  And look what happened.  Both the dramas that the net picked up instead of DS - "The Mountain" and "Jack and Bobby" were unceremoniously dumped.  Things that make you go hmmm.

I can't see something like it getting on pay cable, for some reason. Something about it doesn't add up.  But given Dan Curtis's continued visibility, and the supposed interest of John Wells, it is tempting to think that maybe at least there is a sitdown with network suits in the offing.

Until then, I'll have to content myself with my precious dvds.  No matter what new version of the show happens (or doesn't happen), the original series will always reign supreme at my house.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2005, 04:47:20 PM »
     Like Gothick, I am not pining for a DS remake.  I agree with ProfStokes that any remake would look like an imposter DS.  I just want to see the original again so we can watch it together.
     I read an article that referred to WB's Barnabas as a "blue collar" Barnabas.  I shudder to think what they meant.  While Frid is not conventional leading man handsome, he was always courtly and refined.  What the heck was WB attempting to do with the new cast?   Black sheriff in a white Maine town, oriental beauty Dr. Hoffman, and "blue collar" Barnabas is not a DS that interests me.  Although, a black Angelique would have been interesting.
     I did watch the 91 DS and enjoyed it but I did not compare it to the original.  It was so different as to be more parallel time DS.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2005, 05:18:04 PM »
   Black sheriff in a white Maine town, oriental beauty Dr. Hoffman, and "blue collar" Barnabas is not a DS that interests me.  

The first two things didn't bother me whatsoever (though I was unsure of Kelly Hu's acting ability)....however, a "blue collar" Barnabas certainly does. No matter what the present day time period is (1967, 1991, 2004, 2006, 2040, etc), Barnabas isn't like other men. That's part of his appeal. Hes from a different time, his personality and traits should reflect that. "blue collar" Barnabas.....*shudders*

I answered yes to all three questions. If I had reason to believe a new DS would be good, then I'd pay for the channel to watch it as long as I could afford it. But I would hope it would end up on a regular channel. I would prefer a primetime series over a daytime series. Nothing could surpass the original for me (in the way of certain cast members, characters), but I would be interested in seeing a successful remake. If it was well written and well casted, I think it could be fun, especially if they came up with new directions & twists on the storylines.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2005, 06:19:41 PM »
"blue collar" Barnabas.....*shudders*

I remember gagging when I read that awhile back.  Yet another reason I'm kind of glad WB didn't do the series.  They don't understand DS.  And from the little I've seen of Kelly Hu (X-Men 2) - Ugh.  I suspect she would have made an awful Julia Hoffman.  For whatever flaws the '91 show may have had, at least they tried to stay somewhat true to the characters by casting classy actors like Jean Simmons and horror film icon Barbara Steele.

I really enjoy the idea of a continuation of the classic series with a grown-up David and a wise, matriarchal Carolyn.  That could lead to a whole new set of storylines, and flashbacks to relate some of the things which happened over the last 35 years.

~PennyDreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2005, 07:44:11 AM »
Black sheriff in a white Maine town, oriental beauty Dr. Hoffman, and "blue collar" Barnabas is not a DS that interests me. Although, a black Angelique would have been interesting.

I'm not what you find so uninteresting about persons of color.  The population of Maine is not 100% white.  It never has been from the first settlement of whites.  Thus, persons of color including African-American, Native American, Asian-American, Hispanic are not unheard of.  Doctors move in and out of state all the time.   I believe persons of color could only add to a rich canvas of Dark Shadows either as color blind characters (their race has no meaning and is not mentioned even if they are in an interracial relationship) or as subplots of the supernatural-time travel element of the show.

Native American, Asian, Hispanics all have a rich supernatural folklore.  That folklore can only add to a new Dark Shadows or any Dark Shadows for that matter, not detract. 

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2005, 04:05:49 PM »
Victoriawinters,

I did not mean to make this a statement about race but more about realistic casting.  The casting can be as colorful as any other show.  A black Professor Stokes or a black Angelique would have been very interesting with a rich backstory.  I thought an asian Dr Hoffman might work but she was very young and beautiful.  The same kind of woman Barnabas always pursues so his rejection of her as a love interest would have seemed odd.  Grayson Hall and Barbara Steele were both attractive and accomplished women that would seem intimidating to Barnabas.
     I am insulted that you read more into my opinion than was intended.  I have lived  in Maine for 16 years and lived 28 years in California.  As odd as it seems, small Maine towns are primarily white.  If racial diversity is the goal for DS casting, the venue needs to be changed to a more metropolitan area like Boston or New York.   
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2005, 11:36:31 PM »
I believe persons of color could only add to a rich canvas of Dark Shadows either as color blind characters (their race has no meaning and is not mentioned even if they are in an interracial relationship) or as subplots of the supernatural-time travel element of the show.

When the casting for the new DS was announced, I did wonder how it would affect the storytelling. That is, how would the character of Barnabas react a multiracial Collinsport?  I imagine we viewers are all enlightened men and women of the 21st Century, but the sad fact is that typical 18th Century upper-class New England males did not think very highly of women and people of color.  Barnabas may have courtly manners but he is still a product of his time, and I imagine he would have been stunned by the sociopolitical changes of the 21st Century.

How might he react upon climbing out of the coffin after 200 years to discover that a woman  :o  from the heathen Far East is serving as a physician and a Negro is enforcing the law?  How would the WB have addressed that, if at all?  Would they have bothered to portray Barnabas as confused, disbelieving, and stuck up?  Or would they have become too nervous over potential flack for being non-PC, decided their tweenage viewers weren't bright enough to catch onto the anachronisms, and glossed over the race issues altogether, showing Barnabas as merely passively accepting everything and everyone he encountered, from horseless carriages to pretty Asian-American female doctors?

I realize that these issues may seem distasteful but it's not my intention to step on any toes.  My point is that, in the interest of maintaining credibility, any new series should remain aware of how plausible its scenarios are.  onyx_treasure has pointed out that most small Maine towns are homogenous; hence, a multiracial cast is a bit unusual for that context.  I don't believe a "color-blind" Barnabas would be historically accurate, but acclimating Barnabas to the more diverse and tolerant 21st Century might end up being one of the sub-plots that victoriawinters mentioned.

ProfStokes

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2005, 12:24:42 AM »
Oh, I don't know. In 1796, Barn was pretty progressive. He didn't think like his contemporaries, that I recall. He showed this in his treatment of Ben. He even made sure Ben would be free before he "left for England". I think this is one of the reasons he was at such odds with his father and aunt. I think he would have made the transition with a bit more ease than one might expect. And honestly, I don't think he'd care; He'd have much bigger fish to fry.

And I can't imagine any of this being more than mentioned in passing in a revival, I don't think time would permit it.

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2005, 12:53:29 AM »
You know I don't remember Barnabas having any reaction to how the women in Collinsport dressed in short dresses in 1967 as compared to the long dresses they wore when he was sealed in the coffin in 1795.  Not to leave out the fact that people now drove cars instead of riding in horse drawn carriages.

Willie must have been some good explainer. Since Barnabas was well informed and wasn't shocked by anything he saw in 1967, as compared to what his experience was in 1795 when he last saw the world before being sealed in that coffin for well over a hundred and something years. The world sure did change alot in that time.

You would have thought he would have some type of reaction. Even though he'd have to cover his reaction fast.

FireRose

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2005, 08:30:36 PM »
You know I don't remember Barnabas having any reaction to how the women in Collinsport dressed in short dresses in 1967 as compared to the long dresses they wore when he was sealed in the coffin in 1795.

Excellent point, considering all the fuss that Abigail made over Vicki's non-1795 clothing and [spoiler]Edrward's reaction to Julia's hemline when she collapsed in Collinwood's doorway in 1897.[/spoiler] 

Not to leave out the fact that people now drove cars instead of riding in horse drawn carriages.

Cars that we eventually see Barnabas driving himself.  ::)  You're right, FireRose, we should have seen at least a couple of Barnabas v. Technology sequences.

You would have thought he would have some type of reaction. Even though he'd have to cover his reaction fast.

I can only recall one occasion when Barnabas looked clueless about something he didn't understand.  There's a scene during one of Barnabas's first episodes when he and Roger are sharing a drink.  Roger makes a reference to how the Collins family gave up their European vineyards during WWII and Barnabas's face goes beautifully blank.  You just know he must have rushed out to find a history book shortly thereafter.

ProfStokes

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: The ShadowGram Survey
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2005, 04:28:37 PM »
Barnabas didn't show shock at Vicki's appearance when he sees her outside the old house for the first time 1795. Naomi also doesnt' show it.  I just think of the both of them as being gracious and anxious to display good manners in the face of any oddity they might encounter.  Aunt Abigail was another matter though. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: The ShadowGram Survey
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2005, 12:05:41 AM »
I have lived  in Maine for 16 years and lived 28 years in California.  As odd as it seems, small Maine towns are primarily white.  If racial diversity is the goal for DS casting, the venue needs to be changed to a more metropolitan area like Boston or New York.

I don't live in Maine now but was born and lived there for sometime. I concur that it's true Maine, especially anything further north of Portland, is primarily white. A black sheriff is not likely to happen in rural Maine considering the redneck types that generally live in those communities. Maine does tend to be a bit racial and suspicious in general of outsiders. Casting should make some sense...like I don't see Morgan Freeman cast as Barnabas though I think he's a great actor.