Author Topic: Biggest Pet Peeves  (Read 4744 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest Pet Peeves
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2002, 02:22:07 AM »
But, OF COURSE, Wyndcliff was far enough away that Barney could be safe from Angie there. In spite of the fact that she was in the habit of materializing wherever he was. ::)
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2002, 02:31:12 AM »
But, OF COURSE, Wyndcliff was far enough away that Barney could be safe from Angie there. In spite of the fact that she was in the habit of materializing wherever he was. ::)

And she also had the mirror to guide her in the right direction...Guess it needed new batteries...::)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2002, 03:21:08 AM »
Ah, so everyone does have pet peeves!! Love it!

Craig Slocum - We had a chiming grandfather clock when I was growing up too. I used to sneak down at night and turn the chimes off.

Gothick - If you use enough Aqua Net hairspray, you can have perfect hair all week long, morning, noon and night.

Terry306 - The Collins family has always kept odd hours. 4:00 am IS quite late for them; 3:00 am is their normal bedtime.

jthomas_123 - There are no customers in the Collinsport shops because they have all been eaten by the werewolf. They stay in business thru a grant from Diabolos providing they raise his satanic children.

Luciaphil - Perhaps there is a novelty alarm clock somewhere in the house that crows like a rooster. Kind of like those cat clocks with the eyes that go back and forth.

Connie - Willie's not the best with his hands and wasn't able to fix the wobbly bannister. I don't know who built the Old House but Barnabas' claim that it was built to "last" certainly doesn't extend to the bannister.

kuanyin - I noticed David's remark about the "one" wing closed off too. Wasnt it the EAST wing in which he locked up Victoria Winters in the early episodes? And I know it was the EAST wing that Elizabeth offered to open up for Vicki and Burke to live in.

Candlelighter - the candles are quite easy to explain. The various ghosts cannot see too well in the dark, so they go around lighting candles in closed off wings, mausoleum rooms, basements, etc. It's actually very convenient for the living and they don't mind.

Cassandra - I have often remarked that the town of Collinsport is in dire need of Animal Control. Sad to think of all those homeless doggies. But I wonder why nobody thinks of them after all the "mysterious" attacks that leave people with "animal-like" wounds on their necks. It's all the wild dogs, dummies!

scout75 - I think Julia's been at it with that medallion again, using it on David. Not only has he forgotten about Sarah, but he told Amy that living at Collinwood was just like "living at any other house." He's got to be kidding?

Bette - I was waiting for someone to mention that Wyndcliff thing. Apparently Maggie and little Amy were able to walk a hundred miles back to Collinsport. And how about the discrepency in distance between Collinwood and Eagle Hill cemetary? Sometimes people have to drive there, and sometimes it seems like it's about 20 feet away from the front door of Collinwood.

Raineypark - my mom watches As the World Turns too. I was raised on soaps!

tripwire - Perhaps there was only one gate maker in all of Collinsport for the last 200 years, hence the exact same squeaky sound whenever a gate is opened.

VAM - new batteries? Maybe that's why she smashed the mirror. I can just see Angelique throwing a little hissy fit when the reception starts to go.

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2002, 03:46:54 AM »
I have to mention, too, that people come and go at all hours in Collinwood. Who goes for a walk at midnight? a stroll to Widows Cliff at 2 am? Does nobody sleep in this house??  The front door is always open! In one recent episode, Vickie had both a vampire (Tom J.) and Joe Haskell in her bedroom the same night-------after which Julia asks her,"Are you having trouble sleeping?"  Nothing a little privacy wouldn't cure!!!

"I don't understand!"   Misty

" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2002, 03:55:30 AM »
I used to sneak down at night and turn the chimes off.

I wish I could have done that too, but my dad hid the key!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2002, 04:08:50 AM »
Perhaps there is a novelty alarm clock somewhere in the house that crows like a rooster.

That reminds me of something that happened years ago. In a Sunday school class I attended regularly, a lady always wore a watch that had a rooster crowing at the top of the hour, and it always went off when we were in the middle of our closing prayer!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2002, 06:26:54 AM »
One thing that bothers me is an occasional crew member caught in a scene!  I can put up with  the shadow of the mike crossing in front of Liz or Barnabas or Nicholas's face, but I feel pretty put out about the crew member in the blue shirt  who is caught on camera when Barnabas first finds out that he's a vampire and is ready to strangle Angelique.

***Spoilers***

The second biggest pet peeve is the werewolf stunt man they used for Chris and Quentin.  I can't stand it that he looks so small!  But having said that, I just love the scene where the werewolf jumps down from the landing at Collinwood into the foyer and chases Liz around the table in the foyer.  
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2002, 07:56:53 AM »
I'm peeved that everybody seems to have forgotten about Julia's side career as an author.  She was able to live at Collinwood for four years without ever having to show anyone so much as a page or an outline of her Collins Family History or The Life and Death of Dr. Eric Lang.

ProfStokes  

Nancy

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2002, 08:08:22 AM »
You forgot about the best selling classic volume

How To Live Well on No Cents A Day

I'm peeved that everybody seems to have forgotten about Julia's side career as an author.  She was able to live at Collinwood for four years without ever having to show anyone so much as a page or an outline of her Collins Family History or The Life and Death of Dr. Eric Lang.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2002, 09:20:44 AM »
The fact that they almost never lock their doors (I thought it quite funny today when Barnabas said the children couldn't be there because he had locked the doors when he went to bed!!).  Barnabas used to be in his coffin in the basement, or he and Julia were working on the experiment - all things you wouldn't want to risk someone coming in and seeing, yet the door was always unlocked so that anyone could - and often did - come in!!
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2002, 10:31:48 AM »
tripwire's
and another one, more funny than annoying, is whenever an old door, or gate, is being opened, its the same darn sound effect as when they open a coffin, and half the time, its not coordinated, as they have stopped the opening, the sounds just keep on coming.

That's funny you should mention this one because in yesterday's episode when they showed the cradle up in the West Wing rocking all by itself, the noise it made sounded just like a coffin opening up!!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2002, 04:16:12 PM »
...it was the EAST wing that Elizabeth offered to open up for Vicki and Burke to live in.

I'm currently watching those episodes on tape and it actually is the west wing that Liz offers to Vicki and Burke. :)
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas..you can nail me in your coffin anytime~!
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2002, 04:35:30 PM »
I'd have to say the sound effects are my biggest pet peeve..like when someone is screaming but the scream actually starts a few seconds later (Maggie did that once)..it kind of takes something away from the moment if the sounds aren't it sync with the action ....what a whiner I am ~ ::)
Happiness isnt having what you want..it's wanting what you have.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2002, 04:35:32 PM »
Hey gang,

One thing that particularly irks me (especially when the show went to "full, living color") is the all-too-apparent presence of scratch/scuff marks on the furniture (desks, chairs, pianos, etc.) and, also, on the wood paneling used in 99.9% of the sets.

I realize that Dan Curtis & company were on a tight, no-frills budget back then.  But, Jeez, couldn't Mr. Curtis have sprung for a relatively inexpensive bottle of Forman's Furniture Restorer and a can of End Dust over at the local Duane Reade's store?

Bob the Bartender, who considers Felix Unger to be one of the greatest men of the 1970's.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2002, 04:41:37 PM »
You notice the scuff marks?......Roberto, caro, how on earth are you following the story line if you're looking at the the scuff marks on the walls?!!

Oh, and remind me NEVER to invite you to MY house!!!!!
[lghy]

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas