Author Topic: Dark Shadows Music  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Dark Shadows Music
« on: September 14, 2002, 03:34:56 AM »

I was just talking on the phone to my little girl's father, and he said today when he made a phone call, he was placed on hold, and what did he hear? The Dark Shadows Theme! He thought that was a trip. I've never been lucky enough to hear that while waiting on hold.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
Re: Dark Shadows Music
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2002, 06:33:43 AM »
The repetitive nature of the DS incidential music is one of my favorite campy things about the show...  I mean they've got--what--600 hours of drama, and the same half-hour's worth of background suspense music playing thru the whole series...    As it is, you only have to watch for a week or two to have it all memorized...  I don't remember any other soap being as cheap with the original score...  They couldn't afford to commission a second LP of music?

I'd *love* to see a montage of famous scenes that all happen to use the exact same bits of music...  I'm sure there are plenty to choose from...

Just another one of those things that make it all such goofy fun...

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2002, 10:52:35 AM »
I was just talking on the phone to my little girl's father, and he said today when he made a phone call, he was placed on hold, and what did he hear? The Dark Shadows Theme! He thought that was a trip. I've never been lucky enough to hear that while waiting on hold.

Cheryl, I've never heard it either while being put on hold. Usually when Im put on hold all I hear is that boring elevator music playing in the backround. [sleep]

One time however I happen to wake up to the sound of the DS Theme blaring away on my daughter's alarm clock radio. She always has the station Z-100 on so I couldn't figure for the life of me why they had it on at that station!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2002, 02:46:39 PM »
It seems like in the episodes airing now DS got some new background music. During the scene between Vicki #2 and Jeff in their room after they were married, "Missy" (I think that's what it's called) played in the background. Also some musical ques (like someone discovering something) have been added from the sounds of it.

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2002, 06:15:41 PM »
I've heard the theme music several times on the radio, and "Quentin's theme" mucho times---a few years ago at an outdoors concert, it was played with variations. Beautiful!!

LOVE the DS music,  Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2002, 08:46:31 PM »

I have all of the Dark Shadows cd's, and also a couple of record albums that I won on ebay. Good listening! I hardly ever hear anything good while I'm on hold, once in a while, 70's music. While I'm out at a restaurant or in a store, I hear a lot of 70's and 80's music. That's cool! I always remember every one of em, and my little girl's father never knows what's on. He's 69 years old, I'm 38. Generation gap!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline HobbiesDS

• Junior Poster
  • It must be a full moon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2002, 06:36:08 PM »
I love the DS music too!  I have 4 CD's of the music and never tire of listening to it.  I think they did write new music for the Ghost of Quentin!

HobbiesDS
HobbiesDS

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2002, 07:34:42 PM »
I would like to find out the names of selections on the cuke box at TBW that were by different writers besides Cobert.  For instance, there is a real good one playing when Carolyn goes to TBW and Joe and Burke are there.  Burke tries to talk to her but she's not having any part of it.  

The music brings to mind late 50's(?) cool, verve, lounge lizard type moodiness.  I can almost picture Bob mixing up a martini.  It was totally different from the norm. It was just perfect for the scene.

There has been some prior discussion about Beatles and others but I don't think this particular one has been mentioned.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2002, 10:19:36 PM »
One of them was Francis Lai's theme to A MAN AND A WOMAN, which is sort of an old favorite of mine. There are quite a few versions of it around, though I think the one used in DS was Lai's original.

[shadow=black,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]