Author Topic: TV Guide notice for Resurrection of Barnabus  (Read 979 times)

Offline jeffreywj777

• Junior Poster
  • A Story of Blood Relations.
    • View Profile
TV Guide notice for Resurrection of Barnabus
« on: May 12, 2008, 04:05:02 PM »
I have no doubt someone on this board knows this piece of trivia. TV Guide use to carry a section in the back of their weekly publication announcing upcoming video releases. It was from such an issue that I learned MPI was going to release the first edited Dark Shadows tape, The Resurrection of Barnabus. This would have been in I believe a 1988 edition, probably the second half of the year, because I am pretty sure MPI released the tape in October of '88.

Would anyone happen to know the weekly publication of TV Guide that had this notice, or can anyone recommend a site that I could research this information?

Thanks
Jeffrey
Jeffrey

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: TV Guide notice for Resurrection of Barnabus
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:50:50 PM »
You might be able to find a "lot" or a set of '88 TV Guides on eBay if you really want to find it and all else fails.

It's a common mistake, but when you're searching online, make sure to type "barnabas" rather than "barnabus," you should get better results -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:36:55 PM »
I'm not sure about the TV Guide announcement (though there's a library in my vicinity that has copies of every TV Guide going back at least as far as '76, so I *might* be able to get a definitive answer there should you not be able to get it anywhere else), but The Resurrection of Barnabas VHS (the first volume in MPI's regular DS tapes) originally came out in October '89 (along with volumes 2-4). The next four volumes didn't come out until January '90, with The Best of DS compilation soon following, and The Best of Barnabas compilation coming not too long afterward (I'd have to look up the exact dates for those  ;)).

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:15:13 AM »
I didn't want to say anything before because I wasn't sure that I'd saved the article (foollish, I know, because I seem to save *everything* I come across that's DS related  ;)), but I have a copy of the TV Guide article. However, oddly, I don't have any indication of the exact date of the issue because the page simply says November on it and apparently I didn't cut out the actual date (bad MB! :D). But if you need the actual date, I can probably find it in my old issues of ShadowGram...

Offline jeffreywj777

• Junior Poster
  • A Story of Blood Relations.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 02:03:07 AM »
OOPS. You would think after being a fan of the show for as long as I have, I would know how to spell the lead character's first name correctly. The only thing I could have done more stupid would be to spell Collins with only one L.

You are right MB, the tape did come out in '89. I got my old catalogs out last night and the 1990 catalog had February's release as volumes 9 through 12. So the article you have must have come from  a November issue of 1989. That will help narrow it down. I'll have to check with some local libraries and see if they stock the old TV Guides.

Thanks for your help.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey