Author Topic: Worst Couplings/Would-Be Couplings  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
Worst Couplings/Would-Be Couplings
« on: March 20, 2005, 06:56:55 AM »
Seriously. Who did you hate to see together? What drove you to the point of fast forwarding YOUR tivo, dvd, vcr or just plain made you stomp out of the room? I know I'm gonna get it for this one, but Joe/Maggie. I love Joe. He's adorable. But the guy was dull. Plain and simple. My argument against them is that Joe never fought for her. To quote a line from my favorite movie, "I think a man should be strong... to protect the woman he loves... don't you?" By GOD yes! But he never seemed to lift a finger, as many other soap opera men for their ladies have, to find her or ride in on his great white steed when she was in danger. And I've gotta admit, I love the hero act. It just makes me melt.

I also think Maggie's too fiery for Joe. I don't know how this coupling worked out in the first place. Even Quentin would have been preferable in his place.

Now, another blah couple I refuse to watch are Jeff/Victoria. Vicky's awesome. Can't say she's invulnerable to my quips, but I like her. But Jeff... What was he trying to do when he kissed her? Suck the blackheads out of her skin? Maybe he was actually trying to taste the back of her throat. I don't know. But I do know that hoover couldn't have done it better.

Another one on the no-no list is Joshua/Naomi. Now they were a nice couple. I'll even say they were sweet together. But having seen those two actors play brother and sister beforehand, I just feel like I'm watching "Passions". The implications are just so incestuous. It's not bad enough to the point where I can't look past it, though. They're great actors.

K. Who do YOU despise together?? ~DJ

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Couplings/Would-Be Couplings
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 08:10:01 AM »
I tried to post this earlier and got an error; let's see if it goes through this time.

I despised Amanda and Quentin because I thought it was a betrayal of Beth.  I also couldn't understand what Carolyn saw in Jeb; she didn't like him much when they first met and I don't rememebr seeing anything that would have believably softened her feelings toward him before they did get married.

I've expressed my dislike for the pairing of Angelique and Barnabas elsewhere on the board, so I won't go into it again.

ProfStokes

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 08:59:59 AM »
I tried to post this earlier and got an error

That was probably when I was upoloading a script.  :)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 06:10:53 PM »
elizabeth and jason mcguire.the storyline was excellent...very tense...but liz was so unhappy during it that it was painful to watch.

vicki and jeff clark...china doll and bull.

carolyn and adam...she was beyond clueless during this story.at the very least she was harboring a murderer in her house with no regaurds to the safety of her own family.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 08:55:26 PM »
The first worst couple I think of is Cyrus Longworth and Sabrina Stewart these two were so antiseptic in their views of romance it was silly... in one scene Sabrina mentions after a conversation with Cyrus who was actually John Yager that he called her "darling" which is what Cyrus had never done, saying the only endearment ever expressed to her was my "dear", although this couple were well suited for lab mates as a romantic couple they are a far stretch for the imagination...

I picture their honeymoon as such...
shaking hands...Cyrus: was that good for you my dear? [rleyeb]
shaking hands...Sabrina: most satisfactory, thank you. [rleyeg]
~ ~
Another worse couple was definitely Judith Collins and Gregory Trask, with Trask being such a hypocrite in regard to serving the all mighty, when as he first walked into Collinwood his thoughts could be read in his face "I want this!" I wouldn't doubt that his plan to do away with his Minerva took seed at that moment!  Judith was so visibly bitter and lonely that Trask was a shoe in for his con game... although I don't understand why Judith hadn't thought that perhaps she had become appealing to the eye the "Reverend Trask" once she had been named Mistress of Collinwood.

Considering  all the pain Judith endured her reward and Trask's justice was at last given in the end.  [peepwall]
~ ~
One other couple stands out as a worst couple, that being Adam and Eve, considering that these two were in part  Adam from Barnabas' Vampire self who is evil, lusting after blood and killing to survive, wouldn't Adam have these same qualities of killing to survive and lusting after that which he desired? [diablo]
And Eve... her essence derived from the pure evilness of Danielle Roget, wouldn't Eve also take those traits and so become just as evil?  [eviltongue]

if any couple was a match made in hell this was it.  The one had to, in time destroy the other.   [deadg]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 10:25:16 PM »
carolyn and adam...she was beyond clueless during this story.at the very least she was harboring a murderer in her house with no regaurds to the safety of her own family.

I'm pretty sure this is b/c she was the only one who was supposed to understand him. It was kind of like beauty and the beast, in a way. I guess that was supposed to be its appeal. I just didn't see it, either. Didn't much care for them together. ~DJ

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 11:18:25 PM »
The Carolyn/Adam thing totally turned me off.  But then, the whole Adam storyline turned me off.  Ironically, during that same story, we had Roger and Cassangelique.  Now I know Angelique probably hexed him a bit to turn him into Darren Stevens, but one would think that stodgy Roger would've been embarassed to rob the cradle and bring home a college student as his new wife.

Gerard

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 11:24:07 PM »
It was kind of like beauty and the beast, in a way.

...or perhaps, Madelyn Kahn and Peter Boyle.   ;D [9341]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 11:24:43 PM »
the roger/cassandra coupling had interesting potential but i don't think that thier relationship was explored enough.cassandra was great but they hardly shared any scenes together.thier marriage seemed like a plot-device to get cassandra in the house.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 12:07:17 AM »
Barnabas and Angelique. She did far too much too him personally and to others I believe he truly loved for me to buy into them as a couple.

Quentin and Amanda, mainly for the same reason ProfStokes stated. Otherwise, I wouldn't dislike the character so much. I just didn't buy that she and Quentin had "true love".

Jeff and Victoria. I wish he had never shown up in the present time. I don't like the character and I do like Victoria. They could've paired her with someone better and given her a better storyline. I hate how her character deteriorates over time and it's just an added insult that she gets stuck with him, IMO.

Nicholas and Maggie, mainly because I just hated the Nicholas Blair storyline all together. With her and Joe separated, they could've given some time to a far better couple - like Willie and Maggie for instance. ;) Nicholas and Maggie as a couple was just creepy to me.

Adam and Eve, because I hated the storyline. I don't hate Adam and Carolyn as much, but I don't particularly like them either.

I don't think Joe and Maggie were a bad enough couple to be considered "worst", they just bored me.

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 02:09:45 AM »
Quentin and Amanda? Without spoiling anything, can someone tell me when this took place?

I don't think Joe and Maggie were a bad enough couple to be considered "worst", they just bored me.

BB, have you ever seen Carolyn and Joe together? I thought they had real chemistry. When I saw those two together in one of my mom's older tapes, I couldn't believe the writers decided to part them. It was like they weren't even acting! It's too bad they didn't last... hell, they could have been another great obsession of mine. Then again, they still can be. ;) Anyone against the idea of Carolyn/Joe? For it? What do you think.. ~DJ

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 02:37:54 AM »
I'm watching the early episodes right now and I dunno. Joe's not that much older physically, but he knows who he is and where he's going. And it ain't the same place Carolyn has in mind. Carolyn is all over the place emotionally. She wants excitement and a Byronic hero to sweep her off her feet and take her away from Collinwood. I also think she's got some interesting issues with Mama.

Hated Amanda and Quentin with the passion of a thousand burning suns. Also hated the Angelique and Quentin pairing because it was just so, so pointless. What can I say, I was a Quentin and Beth shipper.

I'm trying to think who I really disliked to the point of fast forwarding and I'm drawing a blank. There were whole SL's I could have done without (1841PT) but even Amanda and Quentin didn't make me reach for the remote.

Actually, I liked Jason and Liz together. The chemistry was on the nasty side, but they did play well off the other.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 02:52:31 AM »
Quote from: Luciaphil
What can I say, I was a Quentin and Beth shipper.

So am I. My hubby's in love with the idea of Quentin and Daphne, though.

I only saw one scene with Joe/Carolyn together. It was one in which they were sitting on the couch at Collinwood chatting. They just seemed really good together. Oh, I can't wait till they release all those eps on DVD! ~DJ

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 06:41:02 AM »
Quentin and Amanda? Without spoiling anything, can someone tell me when this took place?

The main Quentin and Amanda story was in 1897.  However, the following present day story (Leviathan) has a "sequel" to that.

While I've never been wild about them, I never minded them the way most people do.  It seemed rather ridiculous that he would be that much in love with her, but - supposedly he was, I accepted that, and got involved with what happened to them on that basis.
Josette

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 07:24:29 AM »
Quentin had so many love interests he would have been more suited for Melrose Place. lol. ~DJ