Author Topic: Josette back from the dead  (Read 1287 times)

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Josette back from the dead
« on: July 12, 2004, 03:04:56 AM »
I've been watching tape #40 when [spoiler]Barnabas wills Josette to "come to him" back from the dead. Ug! these writers sure didn't give Josette/Barnabas fans much to be happy about. I think I would have appreciated a small but simple "I will always love you" or something like that before Josette walked right back to her grave but all I got was "I can feel neither love nor hate".[/spoiler] geez...perhaps they were setting the Angelique/Barnabas story up and wanted the audiences' sympathy and considering what Angelique did the writers would be needing lots of it. Anyway...I wanted to comment that JF did an excellent job with the lovesick, guilt ridden, and probably half-mad Barnabas moaning and [spoiler]comanding the dead and mutilated corpse of Josette to come to him from her grave to the old house.[/spoiler] Those scenes could have been laughingly stupid but he carried them off and made them quite exciting. There will probably be nothing like it on TV again.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Josette back from the dead
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 04:07:14 PM »
Well, I personally liked the way that sequence was handled.  It was offbeat and very dark--and filmed in such a creepy way.  That definitely rates as among their most amazing episodes.  Even though KLS had a good laugh about the makeup in the original edition of Scrapbook memories, it was stunningly effective. to the point where the picture of the undead Josette kept being reprinted in Famous Monsters of Filmland (a popular horror mag back in the Sixties and Seventies) "You AXXXED FOR IT!!!" column.

G.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 07:36:24 PM »
Even though KLS had a good laugh about the makeup in the original edition of Scrapbook memories, it was stunningly effective

I'm always reading how former DS cast members laugh about this and that situation. I watched part of a DS reunion and got really irritated at the guy who played Peter Bradford (forgot his name) making fun of JF's short-term memory. Please! But..all-in-all that whole Josette/Barnabas sequence was handled suprisingly well. Make-up was fine...and the grotesqueness of it did reiterate just how victimized Josette was and how she was push-and-pulled all over the place by the whole lot of 'em. I would have appreciated some statement in which Josette finally realizes Angelique was the witch and responsible to what happened to her. But, again, us poor Josette/Barnabas fans didn't get much.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 08:14:26 PM »
I would have appreciated some statement in which Josette finally realizes Angelique was the witch and responsible to what happened to her. But, again, us poor Josette/Barnabas fans didn't get much. 

Although the fans never did get such satisfaction in 1795
[spoiler]Josette's reincarnation, Kitty Soames, seemed to recognize Angelique in 1897 and tried to throttle her for her wickedness.[/spoiler]

ProfStokes

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 08:26:57 PM »
I watched part of a DS reunion and got really irritated at the guy who played Peter Bradford (forgot his name) making fun of JF's short-term memory.

That would be Roger Davis.  Believe me, what you mentioned is just the tip of the iceberg!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 10:11:09 PM »
I enjoyed the Josette back from the dead bit, but I must voice my opinion on this:

[spoiler]I think Barnabas was totally wrong and selfish to bring her back. Even when she said she did NOT want to come back and all she wanted to do was rest in peace, he wouldn't listen and forced her from the grave. She comes to him and pleads with him and he STILL wouldn't relent. It's not until she lifts her veil and he sees her disfigured face that he FINALLY sees the light.

It shouldn't have had to come to that. Barnabas should have thought about her wishes instead of what HE wanted and shouldn't have disturbed her rest at all. I can sympathize with the fact that he's lonely but he should have left well enough alone after she jumped off Widows' Hill. She didn't want to become a vampire in life, did he really think she'd want to go through eternity as a disfigured ghost just for him?[/spoiler]