Author Topic: DS and Real-Life Supernatural  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
DS and Real-Life Supernatural
« on: March 28, 2002, 04:36:29 AM »
All of these old interviews we've been lucky enough to read made me think that, in all of the interviews with DS personnel I've read over the years, the only person connected with the series I know of who has expressed a belief in the supernatural is Diana Millay. Specifically, Frid, Edmonds, and Parker and perhaps others have disavowed any belief in it.  

That might surprise some fans of the series, even though we know - hopefully [goofg] -  that they are actors playing a part in a fictional drama. [roll3]  Still, it is a bit surprising , given the reputation of actors for being superstitious, that more of the DS actors were not believers in the supernatural.   I wonder if that's true of the writers as well.

On the other hand, I'll bet the fan base is quite different from the actors in this regard.  [sconf]  Any thoughts?

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: DS and Real-Life Supernatural
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2002, 05:12:28 AM »
. Specifically, Frid, Edmonds, and Parker and perhaps others have disavowed any belief in it.  

Looks like I am in good company! ;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2002, 06:19:05 AM »

Looks like I am in good company! ;)

ME too!

but I do believe in Greg the Bunny!

We sing, we dance .... and we don't need pants!!

---

Uncle Miltie - 1908 - Infinity :'(
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Nancy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2002, 08:17:40 AM »
I don't believe in the supernatural either.

P.S. Sad about Uncle Miltie.  I saw him in person in 1978 when he came to the Philadelphia area.  He was very funny . . . .  My father watched him on TV and that's how I got hooked.

Nancy

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2002, 08:47:19 AM »
I was mainly drawn to DS because of my interest in the paranormal.  Now I don't decorate my room with garlic, but I would someday like to investigate ghost sightings and psychic abilities.

I wouldn't necessarily expect the DS actors to feel the same way.  As I see it, they would be more attracted by the possibility of work than by the subject matter of the show.  It would be interesting to know whether workng on DS changed their perceptions of the supernatural in any way--if it had made them just a little more open-minded, or shut their minds completely to the possibilities for example.

ProfStokes

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2002, 09:07:10 AM »
When I watched the original run of DS, I was able to separate fact from fiction. It was a spooky soap opera with actors. Spirits from beyond was hocus pocus.

Now that I'm older and have had strange experiences[shckd] involving my deceased parents and an uncle[angl2], I have a tendency to believe in paranormal occurances[ghost] more often than not.

My daughter seems to have a connection with my deceased uncle for some reason. He's appeared to her in her dreams. She says they are always good dreams and that she feels happy when he's made an appearance[ghost].

You may think I'm [nuts] but truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Carol
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2002, 02:04:06 PM »
Yeah, I'm not a believer in the supernatural either.  There are far more scary things out there.  Did you ever go into Walmart just to buy some toothpaste on December 24th?  Now that's scary.  I'm still in therapy over it.

Gerard

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2002, 03:29:22 PM »
Sometimes things have to be believed to be seen! I believe for the most part. I also think there are so many scams out there it is hard to know what is real and what isn't.
ProfStokes, I would love to go ghost hunting with you someday. I prefer houses from the civil war era. Don't want to go hunting any axe murderes who may be hanging around some house.
Teresa
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2002, 05:13:01 PM »
I am one of the non-believers.  I think there are too many really scary things out there.  Horrid illnesses, maniacs who choose violence,  natural disasters, I don't think that the super natural has a chance against these things.  True evil.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2002, 06:43:31 PM »
Well, don't know that I believe in vampires or zombies, but I do think there are ghosts.  Standing in a cold spot or experiencing a frisson or two changed my mind.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2002, 08:41:48 PM »
I'm a non-believer too but there have been just a few experiences in the past that I can't shake off.

Back in 1975 I made a visit to my dad up in Juneau, Alaska for a few months.  While I was up there my cousin passed away.  I had a dream that same night and saw how he died.  I got a phone call the next morning from my mom saying what happened.  To this day I can't get that out of my mind.  

Then there was another time, not long after that I was with a gal friend on our way to classes.  We saw a man up on platform changing letters on a sign....my said to my friend "wouldn't that be awful if he fell from there."  It was just minutes afterwards and he did fall!!   :(

Then, Christmas of 1984 I was sitting in our front room watching televison and ..........one of my musical teddy bears started playing .....no one was in the other room....it played the few songs then shut off.  This happened not long after my grandmother passed away.

I know I don't believe in the supernatural but these incidences almost make me think twice. [eek]
DONNA
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2002, 08:53:09 PM »
I know I don't believe in the supernatural but these incidences almost make me think twice. [eek]
DONNA

Sounds like you are clairvoyant-another Pansey or Letitia Faye! ;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2002, 03:25:38 AM »

Sounds like you are clairvoyant-another Pansey or Letitia Faye! ;)

There are a lot of unexplained things in the world but don't really believe in the supernatural but a few times I have sensed things that were going to happen It was a weird feeling and my family members just say
I'm "sensitive to things"  try to keep an open mind!

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2002, 04:23:15 AM »
My own experience is very similar to Donna's.

I tend to be a skeptic, especially when it comes to TV psychics, faith healers, etc. An early hero of mine was Houdini, who effectively debunked the "mediums" of his day (showing how they secreted "ectoplasm" in various body cavities, for example, that the "spirits" then produced). I am especially angered by those who prey on the grieving, though in some ways I think the "victims" get what they want.

On the other hand, I've had a handful of experiences (usually accompanied by a "weird" feeling, like Jennifer mentioned) that made me feel that there is more to our life experience than meets the eye.  (I would describe the "feeling" as similar to what you feel in a deja vu experience.)  I later read about hypnogogic hallucinations (apparently not uncommon; waking up paralyzed, with an awareness of a spirit presence in the room), which matched one of my experiences to a "T"; so I can't discount psychological explanations entirely even for my own experiences.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2002, 05:30:53 AM »
I tend to be skeptical when it comes to things beyond the mundane; however, I cannot rule out the possibility of things preternatural (not to be confused with supernatural). One cannot address the issue of the supernatural without bringing into it a lifetime of experience and fundamental beliefs. Certainly, those who are deeply religious generally approach the issue from a completely different angle than the atheist or agnostic. Being one who was brought up in a (moderate) religious environment, my world-view was shaped early on by many of its tenets.

There is a sense of awe or wonder that accompanies the supernatural, which is why I think it has its appeal both in real life and in fiction. The supernatural need not be frightening; but at the same time it might actually represent the ultimate fear (especially for those who believe in the concepts of Heaven and Hell).

Real-life, human evil, even on a grand scale, begins in the minds of mortals; therefore it's basically comprehensible to all of us. Each of us is in some fashion capable of being as depraved, perverted, violent, pathetic, morbid, murderous, twisted, and vile as any other, given the right set of conditions. (Cheery, n'est-ce pas?) Roger Collins himself said, to paraphrase, "Nothing a human being does can be shocking." I think that's largely true. The thing about human evil is that, to me, it's ugly, depressing, frustrating, infuriating, sickening, and all that. But is it frightening? Certainly on some levels it is--because of the tangible personal threat it represents. On the other hand, no other human being is any more or less mortal than I. On a one-to-one scale, it is difficult to be frightened on more than a physical level of another human; in the right set of circumstances, tables may even be turned. On a larger scale, such as war, the threat is amplified but is never any less comprehensible.

When a supernatural element is introduced into an equation, we add the possibility of something far greater (or worse) than ourselves. We add the possibility of the incomprehensible. In addition to possible fear, we now have a sense of awe that cannot be induced by any mere human threat--whether that threat be a knife in the back, a jetliner being used as a bomb, or a nuclear holocaust. Our views of the supernatural may be shaped by the matter of probabilties; in our lives we're far more likely to encounter evil at the hands of other humans than we are to deal with an extradimensional entity that might or might not mean us harm. The supernatural opens the way for a whole new arena of speculation, thus engaging our imaginations on a different level. In comparison, human evil is simply depressing.

Thus the appeal of supernatural in fiction, and when applicable, in real life. I tend to believe that there are certainly things in the universe that we cannot explain, and perhaps never will explain; they may be awesome or horrifying or glorious. Who can tell? As a writer, I find a greater and more enjoyable challenge in searching the realms of lesser probability and presenting them (hopefully) in such a way that, at least for a time, yeah, you believe it.

Just my two-pence worth. Or perhaps three.

Mark