Author Topic: How do you think the Dark Shadows Festivals can be improved?  (Read 7659 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
How do you think the Dark Shadows Festivals can be improved?
« on: March 19, 2002, 07:55:32 PM »
I'm curious. Is everybody happy with the festivals as they are currently designed and programmed or do you have ideas on how to improve them?

What things should stay and which should go?

And what other DS things should be programmed that aren't being done at the festivals?

Look forward to the responses.

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: What ways do you think the Dark Shadows Festivals be improve
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2002, 08:42:30 PM »
Darren,

I think for starters there should be more organization-
especially with regards to registrarion. It was adressed somewhat at the 2001 Fest with a pre-registration. Personally, I think it should be handled entirely through the mail. You should receive all the pertinent info and material including the banquet ticket. No more wasting time in lines. Also, more interaction of the actors/actresses with the fans. I am sure it is no fun for the celebrities to do autographs all weekend long-more lines. It should be mixed up with small group sessions and special events. How about afternoon tea at Collinwood or a reeinacted seance? Now, I will let someone else put in their two cents...

It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2002, 10:26:37 PM »
i didnt attend the 2001 fest but at the 2000 fest, the registration process was a bad way to start off the fest. pre registered fans waiting in a long line while fans paying at the door just walked right up and got their admission badge in 60 seconds! the other issue is with fan behavior. a friend who is not on line has big issues with this and has gone as far as meeting with jim pierson about this. i heard there will be some kind of CODE OF CONDUCT statement distributed at the fest.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2002, 10:33:24 PM »
Please come to Boston!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2002, 10:43:19 PM »
I am with you Jennifer,  Boston or Newport.  Come to New England.  There is no way I could go to Ca. to the fest this year.  I am sure the fest could come up with all kinds of events given the area.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2002, 10:57:17 PM »
Birdie and Jennifer,

YES, YES, YES!  Please come to Boston or maybe even Providence (which isn't that far away for us Boston area fans).  And those of you who don't live in the area and may be reluctant to travel here, Boston and environs has so much to see and do that you will probably want to spend a few days here even after the fest is over!  

And VAM, what great ideas you have!  From your lips to the organizers' ears, I hope!

Happybat (a fellow librarian)   :D
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2002, 11:40:23 PM »
There is a problem with temperature control. It is usually too cold, with the exception of last year in New York, the central air broke down completely and the Main Room was like an oven. Under normal circumstances you need long sleeves to be comfortable. I think putting a "In Memoriam" section for the late actors, in the Dark Shadows Festival program book would be a good idea. That way they would be remembered at every Festival. I agree that the registration process should all be handled by mail, and set up something online at the Dark Shadows Festival website, so the fans can purchase their tickets directly from there. A code of conduct is a good idea too. I witnessed some bad behavior myself. People get too impatient, road rage personalities. I also suggest having the Dark Shadows Festival here in Las Vegas, NV again. It's a fun place. When in Las Vegas, do as the Las Vegans do! Dark Shadows actor James Storm and his family really had a great time here. I spoke to them after the 1998 Festival. Darren, this is a good topic. That concludes my 2 cents worth!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2002, 11:47:00 PM »
Another thought:  Ask the actors/stars what they would be interested in.  We want them to continue to want to take part.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2002, 01:06:03 AM »
Birdie and Jennifer,

And VAM, what great ideas you have!  From your lips to the organizers' ears, I hope!

Happybat (a fellow librarian)   :D

Thanks Happybat! I have some additional ideas, which includes the actors/actresses dressing up in period costumes ...I always had a dream of organizing such an event! :)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2002, 02:23:00 AM »
I have some additional ideas, which includes the actors/actresses dressing up in period costumes ...I always had a dream of organizing such an event! :)

[shadow=teal,left,300]This has been done........kind of.  :) At last years Collins Association Halloween party the actors wore costumes in conjunction with a character they played on the show. They did a performance in the "Haunted Room", and it really was enjoyable and it appeared they had fun doing it as well. Marie Wallace looked fantastic as Jenny. Chris Pennock donned a lab coat and glasses for his re-enactment of Dr. Cyrus Longworth. Jim Storm sported a cape in performing as Gerard Stiles, and as you can see in the photo below, the very lovely Terry Crawford dressed as Beth.[/shadow]

Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2002, 03:08:59 AM »
Okay, here's my thoughts [rant]:

Celebrity photographs -- how much time is wasted in the signing lines with people contorting to try and have pictures taken with the guests?  They usually look lousy, are impractical, and create bottlenecks.  What would be great is to do what a lot of the other cons do, and have celebrity photoroom, offering scheduled appearances with a professional photographer on hand.  They could even have a minor set put together (eg. the Collinwood or Old House mantle) to pose against, with each of the celebs scheduled over the weekend, with the proceeds going to a charity.  

So yeah...  I don't like the idea of receiving all the tickets, etc, through the mail, as overseas people like myself have to risk not having them arriving before departure, and you're bound to have heaps of people whining: "Wah! Where are my tickets? I've lost/dropped/eaten them... wah! etc..."

And cut down the signing lines.  Stop people from re-queuing -- have the actors sign for now more than two hours at a time and cut it off there.  They could sign all weekend and people would still be queuing up to get the gazillionth thing signed.  It's insatiable, so why bother trying...

I'd like to see more dramatic readings, skits, etc -- I think it would be great to have a staged reading of some DS scripts [maybe some of the abandoned 1969 scripts cited in the 2000 Almanac, maybe with music too]

Erm... that's it :)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2002, 03:09:00 AM »
I agree that the registration and banquet tickets should be mailed out to those who pre-register if time permits. At least give the banquet ticket at the beginning of the weekend so there is no line the night of the dinner. This would give people more time to spend at the fest or more time to get ready for dinner.
I also agree with a code of conduct. I volunteered last year and one young lady ( I use lady loosely) called me a not so nice name that rhymes with witch because I would not let her cut in line. When she left she used the "F" word. I don't know how you control something like that.
As far as the autograph lines, I wouldn't know where to start there. I have heard some people waited 3 hours for an autograph and if you are an impatient person anyway it just makes matters worse for everyone.
I also think Las Vegas would be a terrific idea. I've never been there so just give me another reason besides putting myself in dept by gambling my hard earned money away and I am there!
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2002, 04:54:35 AM »
Please come to Boston!

jennifer

are you saying Dave Loggins should be a guest? [he was originally from Bristol VA, and the orig version was 'please come to Bristol']

music trivia returns after [hopefully] one last technicolor yawn. [puke]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline dsannabelle

• Who refuses to grow up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2002, 05:52:35 AM »
Oh, am I going to here about this from both
sides of the country.

Howabout having the convention right here in
the MIDDLE of the good ole USA.

That way everybody on the coasts only have to go
half way rather than holf the people having to
go all the way across the US.

Make sense to me.

Annabelle

PS> For you football fans out there it could always,
be scheduled for a Cornhusker Home game weekend.
(I'll give you 3 guesses where I'm at.)  ::) ?!? ;D

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2002, 09:12:28 AM »

PS> For you football fans out there it could always,
be scheduled for a Cornhusker Home game weekend.
(I'll give you 3 guesses where I'm at.)  ::) ?!? ;D

Um.....Oklahoma??  ;D Just kidding. I've always been a fan of Nebraska's football program, but I think Chicago would be more centrally located  should "da Fest" ever decide to do a midwest venue.  :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!