Author Topic: DS hookers  (Read 4545 times)

Offline dsannabelle

• Who refuses to grow up!
    • View Profile
Re: DS hookers
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2002, 07:03:03 AM »
For me it was the moment that Willie opened the
coffin looking for jewels and round up with a
hand on his throat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Talk about having
a bad day.

I do have to add that right now I am really missing
Willie and little David too. David could have really
gotten into it if he thought there was a witch around.  ;)

Annabelle

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2002, 07:38:11 AM »
I discovered DS through the primetime revival in 1991....was hooked.  Caught it again in 1995 in re-runs on SFC and got hooked again.  That fall caught the original series on SFC and got hooked on THAT too. :-)

I loved vampire/supernatural/dark fantasy/historial stories in general and love time-travel stories, so the combination of these elements hooked me on all versions of DS.
Wiley S.

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2002, 04:37:10 PM »
Saw the title of this one and thought of famous DS recreational reptiles as well.

Seriously, (if thats possible), the scene that lit the fire for me was the seance which transported Vicki back to 1795. I remember very clearly watching this episode for the first time on Baltimore's Ch 45 11:30 - 12:30, (4 eps a week two on Saturday & Sunday) around November 1983.  

As I barely remember the original run, (bits and pieces of P.T. bro and sis used to run home from the bus stop to watch) 1795 was what started it for me.

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2002, 07:28:48 PM »
I started watching with my Mom so I think it was the vampire thing that got me hooked. I thought Caroline was so pretty with her sleek 60's blonde hair and I thought David was cute. As an adult I have to be honest and say I turned the tv on and saw David Selby and thought hmmm :-*
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2002, 08:37:44 PM »
For me the initial hook wasn't a particular episode or scene, it was simply watching the opening with the waves crashing against the rocks fading to the house on the hill and Victoria Winter's subsequent voice over. Coupled with the music of that sequence, I found I was tranfixed to the screen. Later, other aspects of the show would lure me in to watching it on a regular basis, but it was that air of distress in Victoria's voice-overs that first caught my interest.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2002, 10:15:07 PM »
I watched this the first time around, and I was an avid reader of gothic novels at that time, I really fell for this show.

It was just after this time period they are in now that I began watching it.  This is the first time I have seen this part.

Cocoa
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2002, 12:00:40 AM »
Eleanor_Rigby, I answered your questions on the Testing. 1, 2, 3... board as a topic called "YaBB codes to bold, italicize, and add color".  You can access that posting board via the forum home page.

A belated welcome to cocoa! :D

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2002, 12:21:32 AM »
The first episode I saw was the arrival of Jason McGuire at Collinwood.  Right away, I got the feeling there was something different about this show.  Like so many others, once Willie released Barnabas from the coffin, I was hooked for good.

As a first time poster, I'd like to thank Midnight and MB for the great job they do. This new board is fantastic!

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2002, 01:13:49 AM »
I must admit, when I saw the title of this posting, I was hoping we'd have a lively discussion of the doxies Barnabas accosts on the Collinsport wharf.

Ruby Tate, Maude Brown. . .flirtatious ladies looking for a good time with an eye for the handsome, hungry Barnabas.  

At least the fledgling vampire went for the ladies instead of the cattle.   ;D

Love, Robin

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2002, 10:45:26 PM »
What a great question!  

Interestingly, with the significant exception of Barnabas, I have never really been a fan of vampire lore.  However, I have always loved ghost stories and mysteries of various kinds.

I must have seen only about a year or so of DS when it originally aired and I always looked forward to seeing it with Mom, who would first watch GH with me, too.  

More than 30 years passed until I rediscovered DS a couple of year ago, largely thanks to GingerCat's recommendation.  

As I recalled very little of DS intricate plots from its initial airing, little less was remembered than Barnabas, Julia, Angelique with her evil laugh and that wonderful, eerie score.  

Yes, I would have to say the music, Barnabas, Angelique and Julia, about in that order, were the elements that brought me back - quite unexpectedly - to the ranks of DS fandom.  Oh, and I must also mention the delicious Quentin, whom I never even had the pleasure of seeing the first time round!   ;D
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2002, 11:18:26 PM »
The first time around it was the Quentin ghost story.  My friends and I would race home to watch.  Even though it scared the daylights out of us.  I was totally hooked.  
It is funny I got rehooked when I started getting sci-fi on our cable.  My daughter was home sick from school and I saw DS listed so I thought I would share this crazy show with her.  She was about the  same age I was when  I started watching.  It was the 1897 story line.  I could not believe I could get so involved once again.  And I was having a great time with it.  

The last year and a half has been a tough one for our family and escaping to the world of DS has been a nice repeal from the stresses of daily living.

Thanks so much to Midnite and the MB for making this such a fun place.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2002, 06:44:00 AM »
I was hooked when my personal hero, Robert Rooney, resplendent in his flannel shirt, delivered that memorable line to Nancy Barrett in the Blue Whale, "Miss Stoddard, your mother is on the phone for you."

Offline Barnster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2002, 12:35:05 PM »
For me, it wasn't a particular scene, that hooked me on DS........it was those terrible Dan Ross novels..(hangs head in shame) :-[

But hey, I was 14 and being in the UK, this was the first introduction I'd had to DS. I didn't know any better! lol ;)

^..^

Barster

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2002, 05:29:41 PM »
A number of things got me hooked during my first DS go-around in 1969.  One was the alliances between Barnabas, Julia, Prof. Stokes, and Willie.  It wasn't until a very brief syndicated run eight years later that I discovered that it was Willie who released Barnabas and how Barn kept such a tight reign over his servant.  It wasn't until the 1999 Sci-Fi run that I discovered how adversarial the initial relationship was between Barn and Julia (and what a shock that was).  Moreover, Julia's unrequited love for Barnabas had totally gone over my 12-year-old head!

Another hook was the Quentin storyline -- the first full storyline I remember -- and finding it fascinating that a kid close to my age (David) could get entwined in this spooky fantasy involving a magic telephone and ghosts.  

Equally riveting was the haunting DS score.  I got the first DS soundtrack LP (with the Barn and Quentin poster inside) for Christmas in 1969.  The music has never left me.  Sometimes, even at work, when bombshell news is announced, one of the musical cues starts playing in my head!

Ben

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2002, 10:29:41 PM »

Ben i had that Lp too I think it is still up in my mother's attic! my daughter found some of my old lps the other days and wanted to know "what these relics from the past were? where they before tv? As the great Paul Lynde said "what's the matter with kids today? have to hide those old 8 tracks(?)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV