Author Topic: Semi-OT/....About coming to the Fest in New York....  (Read 5679 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Semi-OT/....About coming to the Fest in New York....
« on: February 24, 2003, 09:55:13 PM »
Being a New Yorker myself,  and knowing how much attention is forcused on us during heightened Terror alerts, I was wondering.....

Is anyone here thinking twice about coming to the Fest SOLELY because of safety concerns?

I know the timing of the Fest is a problem for many of us (myself included) but is anyone thinking of NOT coming because you're worried?  ???  I'm really just curious to know what people outside of New York think about this.

rainey

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
Re:Semi-OT/....About coming to the Fest in New York....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2003, 10:28:20 PM »
I am trying my best to be able to get it on my schedule - not at all worried about any 'trouble' - I refuse to let that happen in my mind.  That is indeed the 'terrorism' 'they' are hoping for.  In fact I am coming to The Greatest City next month for Beatlefest [actually in Jersey, but will have a day or two in The City, too]  and I just got arrangements in place to cross the pond in April to go see McCartney on the homeland soil.  I can only suggest: be safe, be alert, but don't be scared.
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Nancy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 10:44:16 PM »
I hope anyone who is hesitant about coming to New York City for anything bears in mind he/she is more likely to be killed in a car accident near their home than involved in a terrorist attack.  That doesn't mean people will stop driving because the odds are greater they will be killed that way?

Nancy

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 01:26:07 AM »
The terrorism is a scary thing but it would not stop me.  In fact I might be in NYC on Sunday.  Actually, the weather is more the deciding factor for that trip.  My older sister, mom, and myself are sceduled to visit the other  sister in Jersy this weekend and thought of popping into the city on Sunday for a show.  We are suppose to leave Friday but they are also saying the S word again.  And the kid might have basketball playoffs.  Guess we are in the holding pattern.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 03:33:41 AM »
I definitely plan to be there this year.  I don't see any point in worrying about the possibility of terrorist attacks.  As Ringo wrote, allowing fear to prevent us from living our lives is truly giving in to terrorism.

Speaking of the Fest, did anyone else get the e-mail from pansyfaye regarding the "exciting new project involving DS castmembers?"  I'm guessing that this project is the "first-time ever, extra-special  suprise" promoted in last year's program.

Any guesses as to what it might be?  I'm thinking that it might be a "live" performance of a DS script with the castmembers recreating their roles.

Regards,

John

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2003, 04:09:37 AM »
no i may not come because of dates i don't listen to any of the news
anymore   about terror alerts. sorry duct tape and plastic i've
had it with the politics of it all! i'm with you Nancy  my job is scary enough and look at the RI fire(my husband's friend niece didn't make it  out) Live each day to the fullest and enjoy it all is how i'm going to live!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2003, 06:09:46 AM »
terrorism threats wouldn't stop me.  I am Roman Catholic, and Irish (of course only Roman Catholics are real Irishmen)...a little terror wouldn't daunt my DNA

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Connie

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2003, 06:33:15 AM »
Is anyone here thinking twice about coming to the Fest SOLELY because of safety concerns?

Absolutely not.  (Unless you mean driving through Staten Island.)  LOL

I think I'd be more afraid of DS nuts at the Fest, than any sort of threat from Bin Laden-type clowns.   :P

8)

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2003, 07:36:16 AM »
Never considered it really.  I guess it was somewhere in the back of my mind, but it never stopped me from making plans... :)
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2003, 08:16:51 PM »
(of course only Roman Catholics are real Irishmen)

Hmmm - I think the Irish Protestants (or people born in Ireland who might practice some other religion) might disagree with you on that one. ::)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2003, 08:21:20 PM »
I think I'd be more afraid of DS nuts at the Fest, than any sort of threat from Bin Laden-type clowns.   :P

Well, you don't really have to worry about them either. Rumors of "DS nuts" are greatly exaggerated. Do they exist? Probably. But I've attended many Fests, and I've yet to actually encounter one of them. ;)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2003, 10:12:32 PM »
Rumors of "DS nuts" are greatly exaggerated. Do they exist? Probably. But I've attended many Fests, and I've yet to actually encounter one of them. ;)

I'm having a hard time choosing my favorite nut -- the fan who told me she had a room in her house painted the color of David Selby's eyes, the fan who told me she had the words of "Shadows of the Night" painted on her bedroom wall, or the fan who tried to follow me into my hotel room because he apparently thought it was one of the actor's trysting spots.

I guess the worst is the one who has 50 MB web site on David Selby. Talk about needing to get a life!  ;)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Nancy

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2003, 10:17:41 PM »
terrorism threats wouldn't stop me.  I am Roman Catholic, and Irish (of course only Roman Catholics are real Irishmen)

n

Nooooooooooooo, what a shocking statement to make!!.  :o The men who founded the Irish republican movement and led the rebellion that finally overthrew British rule in the 26 counties of Ireland were Protestant.  Parnell, Robert Emmett, Wolfe Tone, Patrick Pearse, Thomas Davis, James Stephens, Michael Davitt . . . then so many important Irish writers who formed the literary renaissance at the turn of the 20th century - Yeats,  Lady Gregory, Sean O'Casey, Synge . . . the list goes on.   Irish is Irish.   ;D

But I shan't smite you. :-*

The other N.

Connie

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2003, 10:44:10 PM »
-- the fan who told me she had a room in her house painted the color of David Selby's eyes, the fan who told me she had the words of "Shadows of the Night" painted on her bedroom wall, or the fan who tried to follow me into my hotel room because he apparently thought it was one of the actor's trysting spots.

MB...  SEE?  SEE?  They're all OVER the place!

I guess the worst is the one who has 50 MB web site on David Selby. Talk about needing to get a life!  ;)

Yeah - and then there's THIS one!  ROFL
The scariest of them all.

:-*

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2003, 11:54:31 PM »
MB...  SEE?  SEE?  They're all OVER the place!

Well, if those are "DS nuts" - and notice I only say IF (though the guy who tried to follow MsCriseyde into her hotel room might be a little more than borderline :o) - then the woman who frequently posts DS storyboards here should be in good company. ;)

Um, even though it's currently less than half full, the forum has 200 MB. I guess that means we REALLY need a life! :D