Author Topic: Mitch vs. Anthony  (Read 2932 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Mitch vs. Anthony
« on: March 13, 2002, 06:34:24 PM »
Just my two cents here, but regarding Mitchell Ryan vs. Anthony George,

I think Mitchell Ryan was the better of the two Burke Devlins, he just seemed to me to pull off the ex-con with a vendetta in a more convincing manner.

On the other hand, I think Anthony George was the best choice for Jeremiah. I can't see Mr. Ryan prancing around in period costume.

~Arashi

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
Re: Mitch vs. Anthony
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2002, 08:06:42 PM »
Just my two cents here, but regarding Mitchell Ryan vs. Anthony George,

On the other hand, I think Anthony George was the best choice for Jeremiah. I can't see Mr. Ryan prancing around in period costume.

~Arashi

Ya know Arashi, I was thinking that very same thing a few days ago. Although "prancing" isn't exactly the adjective I'd of used ;D I just can't picture Mitch walking around in that clothing either.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2002, 08:30:55 PM »
I always think Anthony George had a bit of a raw deal -- face it, Burke Devlin was such a pale version of the embittered, calculating original by the time Barnabas arrived -- character-wise George inherited a much weaker character.

I agree with the comments on 1795 -- Mitch Ryan was probably much too contemporary in both his acting style and physical appearance to have meshed well in that particular time period.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2002, 08:41:16 PM »
I agree with the rest-NO FRILLS on Mitch!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2002, 08:49:06 PM »
Clothing aside [nuts] the only way I could see Ryan in the role of Jeremiah would have been if it had been a more heroic "save the day" type character - the kind that would come out on top rather than become the sacrificial victim.   :'(  So, I agree Geroge was the best selection for Jeremiah in the long run.  As to his Devlin - I agree with Stuart - he had some big shoes to fill and it didn't help that much of his character's angst had been pretty well spent by the time he took over the part. [sleep]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2002, 10:10:30 PM »
Hey Stuart,

What about Michael Hadge, a/k/a/ Buzz Hackett as a country squire?  That's kind of like Andrew "Dice" Clay as the younger brother of the Rev. Trask!

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who wonders why Millicent and Daniel don't sound like a true New Yorker like Fran Drescher?

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2002, 10:15:56 PM »
I would have to agree . . . Mitchell Ryan simply was Burke, but I don't know that I can see him in period costume as Jeremiah Collins.  Who knows, though?  I never would have thought of him as excelling in comedy, and he does an excellent job on Dharma and Greg.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2002, 11:56:58 PM »
Hey Stuart,

What about Michael Hadge, a/k/a/ Buzz Hackett as a country squire?  That's kind of like Andrew "Dice" Clay as the younger brother of the Rev. Trask!

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who wonders why Millicent and Daniel don't sound like a true New Yorker like Fran Drescher?

that's a couple of great, wacky one's Bob!!  I can see Buzz 'prancing'!! Hickory, Dickery, Dock, This Slattern was...... :-X - and I just spent a weekend with about 15,000 Fran's!!

I also just saw Ryan for a moment on a Matlock today, and he just would not have 'fit' into those outfits!  He was playing a tough-guy on Matlock, and that role fit him pretty well.
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline shadows1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2002, 02:01:31 AM »
Hello everyone!  This is my first chance I've had to visit in a long time.  The new message board is terrific!  Good job Midnite and MB!

RE: Mitch vs Anthony
Mitch was the ultimate Burke.  Anthony, however, has done a fantastic job of playing the part of Jeremiah.  And ladies, did he not look simply delicious when he wore that blue suit and black gloves & boots?  I believe that Mitch lacked the finesse to play the part of Jeremiah.  Somehow I can't see Barnabus and Mitch as Jeremiah pulling off the best buddies thing.

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2002, 02:44:20 AM »
I think this is actually a somewhat tough comparison especially after seeing Anthony George in his regular role on, "The Untouchables" playing G-man Cam Allison, (he could be a pretty bad dude at times). Unfortunately Dan Curtis or any of the directors did not focus on this part of Anthony's capability as an actor when he took over Burke Devlin. He really played the part sweet as he was probably directed to do, (so people would be sympathetic towards his affection for Vicki). Isnt it interesting how most of the heavy male characters in DS eventually go soft, (ie Roger, Willie, Barnabas, Quentin and the list goes on and on). When Anthony took over it appears that it was Burke's turn to mellow out.

On the other hand it would have been interesting to see Mitchell Ryan playing say, Jeremiah's ghost. As we all know Mitch never got the chance to play any supernatural characters so one cannot comment on how effective he may have played that type of role. It would have also been intersting seeing Mitch playing Jeremiah before Angelique began reeking havoc. I find it hard to visualize Mitch playing a character that was friendly with Barnabas.

It appears that the switch was made at a precision time in the storyline, (with a little help from the writers no doubt).

Thats my two dollars worth.

B

Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2002, 03:37:55 AM »
I would have to agree . . . Mitchell Ryan simply was Burke, but I don't know that I can see him in period costume as Jeremiah Collins.  Who knows, though?  I never would have thought of him as excelling in comedy, and he does an excellent job on Dharma and Greg.

Luciaphil

It could have worked if the writers had stuck with the original Josette story that surfaced in the pre-Barnabas and early-Barnabas episodes -- the one in which she was already happily married to an older Jeremiah when she met Barnabas -- and developed the plot conflict around Barnabas' obsession with HER. By doing so, they could have retained a subplot surrounding Angelique's obsession with HIM and preserved the vampire story, but it would have been nice to see something less one-dimensional than was actually produced.  

I didn't like Anthony George as Burke Devlin at all, but I didn't mind him as Jeremiah...however, it would have been interesting to see Mitch Ryan in the part (as it was designed according to the early writing in the series) especially because I preferred the edgy hostility that Ryan's Burke Devlin felt toward Barnabas in the contemporary episodes, and I think he could have effectively carried that attitude into the 1795 plot without sinking to the peevish jealousy displayed by Anthony George.

Overall, I think Mitch Ryan would have done well -- even in breeches and ruffled shirts. :-)  

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2002, 03:41:12 AM »
Hey Ringo,

I thought that your suggestion of Buzz Hackett as "Fritz the Cat," if Angelique put the feline curse on him was brilliant!  It seems only right that the "Buzz-saw" would become the world's only X-rated cartoon cat.

Bob the Bartender, a big fan of Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2002, 04:49:58 AM »
and I just spent a weekend with about 15,000 Fran's!!

There's no truth to the rumor that I was one of them. ;)

Hee hee, I'm really posting to welcome shadows1 and AllenCollins, yay!!!

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2002, 01:21:22 PM »
Thanks for the welcome midnite. Its nice to be back from my Internet hiatus. I hope to catch up with the many friends I have met at the various DS festivals and parties I have attended over the years.

I also look forward to taking part in the various DS topics presented here.

Let the good times roll.
B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline shadows1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2002, 05:12:44 PM »
Many thanks, as well, Midnite.  As I have never been to any of the DS festivities, I look forward to attending as many as I can this year - especially to meet all the interesting people that post on this board.  It never ceases to amaze me when I read such insightful and articulate postings.  I have often wondered what the combined genius of all whom post here could accomplish if given a common goal.  You guys are absolutely the best!  When my busy schedule allows, any free time I have goes to reading this website and Robservations.  I applaud your diligence and dedication to a show that has meant so much to us all.