Author Topic: #0085/0086: Robservations 07/20/01: What Do You Say to a Dripping Sailor?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #85 - There are sections of Collinwood that have been closed off for more than 50 years--dusty rooms--and dark, haunted corridors, that no one ever sees--no one but a tormented boy who has taught me that a secret hiding place can be more than just a child's playroom--but also a prison.

I know you're out there, begs Vicki, please let me out--you can't keep me locked up in here! She bangs at the door. The candle is growing shorter, and suddenly goes out. Vicki takes a match and hurriedly re-lights it. She goes to the barred window and absolutely terrified, calls to Liz or Carolyn--somebody please let me out!

Liz gazes out the drawing room window. Carolyn, her hair up, making her look very adult, enters. Liz tells her daughter she's worried about Vicki--it will be raining soon, and it's so strange she should just go off. Carolyn asks Liz if she's seen her raincoat. Do you need it right now? asks Liz. I can't go out in the storm without it, says Carolyn. Where are you going? asks Liz. Out--and I need my raincoat, says Carolyn. In my room, says Liz--a button was coming off and I sewed it on for you. Thank you, says Carolyn, and walks away. Liz asks if Joe is coming back to get her. Joe?--never heard of him, says Carolyn. What's the matter with you? asks Liz. Not a thing, Carolyn assures her--I'm just going out to have a good time--do you mind? Yes I do, says Liz, come over here and tell me exactly what you think you're doing. For heaven's sake, what do you think I am--two years old? demands Carolyn, annoyed. Sometimes you act like it, says Liz, now I'd like to know where you're going and who with. What difference does it make? asks Carolyn, I'm getting out to have some fun, away from this tomb! That doesn't answer my questions, says Liz. I was all ready to go out with Joe, says Carolyn, I apologized to him, practically begged him to forgive me for what I'd said to him--he let me go through the whole speech, before he told me he had another date for tonight--I'm not about to sit here and look at these walls while Joe's having a ball with some other girl. What kind of nonsense is this? asks Liz. I'm going to get my raincoat! insists Carolyn, turning away. Carolyn! says Liz sternly--come back here this instant. Carolyn does so. What's this about Joe and another girl? asks Liz. He's having dinner with some other girl, says Carolyn. Who? asks Liz. I don't know and I don't care, says Carolyn, all I know is I was all set to have a big night and I'm going to have it--with or without Joe. I must say, you're acting like a child, says Liz, and I'm ashamed of you. Thank you, says Carolyn. Joe loves you and you know it, says Liz--he's a fine boy and I'm sure he wouldn't do anything to hurt you. Not anymore, he won't, vows Carolyn. You haven't been very fair with him, you know, says Liz. I really don't want to hear anymore lectures, insists Carolyn. Well you're going to, says Liz--not so long ago, you chased a man all the way to Bangor! All right, says Carolyn, I had lunch with Burke. If I were Joe, I'd have taken a dozen girls out by now, says Liz--you ought to be thankful he hasn't. Carolyn covers her ears and says she's not going to listen to anymore. You think your world is coming to an end because for once Joe didn't jump when you snapped your fingers, says Liz--if you want to know, I'm delighted. I can't hear a word you're saying, says Carolyn, hands covering her ears. Yes you can, says Liz, and it's high time you realized the world doesn't revolve around Carolyn Stoddard! (Go, Liz, she needs to hear this!)
Carolyn uncovers her ears and says I don't care what you say--I'm going out and find someone and I'm going to have some fun--and I don't care who it is--maybe it will even be Burke Devlin--I don't care! And she races off, Liz gazing unhappily after her. (Spoiled brat!)

Sam Evans enters the Blue Whale. The storm is loud outside. Inside, a drunken Burke is toasting himself. He orders another drink from the bartender and calls to Sam as he passes him--come sit and visit with me, he says. Sam ignores him and goes to the phone, calling home--oh, it's you, Maggie, teases Sam, I thought it was one of our many servants--no, I haven't been drinking--yet--I'll be home in half an hour--company?--who's going to enjoy your cooking tonight?--you think that's wise?--of course I like Joe Haskell, but you know the situation as well as I you do--I know you're a big girl, but that's no reason to walk into a hornet's nest--OK, no lectures, I'll be home in half an hour--bye. Burke comes over to him and Sam greets him. So you do recognize me, says Burke, I thought I'd become invisible. No such luck, says Sam. Very funny, says Burke--sit and join me in a drink, will you? I don't want to get into another discussion of Bill Malloy's death! says Sam. I promise I won't talk about Malloy unless you do, cross my heart, promises Burke--I just need somebody to sit and drink with me. Sam agrees, and Burke orders both of them.

The bartender brings over the drinks. What shall we drink to? asks Burke. Anything you want, says Sam. OK, says Burke, raising his glass--to old days gone by, to old friendships, happiness instead of confusion--love instead of hate. How long you been sitting here? asks Sam, smoking his pipe. Years! says Burke, you know how many people have walked by here since I perched on this chair?--dozens of dozens!--you know how many of them were my friends?--none!--not one--drink up, Sam, and let's make a big night of it. I think you're a little drunk, remarks Sam, you know that? Yes, first time since I've been back to Collinwood, says Burke--the crusader returns!--you're an educated man--the Crusaders were the holy men who went to fight the heathens--were they lonely men? They were all kinds, says Sam--adventurers, dreamers, greedy men, fanatics, you name it. You and I used to be good friends, says Burke, but we're not friends anymore, are we?--I know what you think of me--that I came back here to tear off your hide and throw it to the wolves. I think I'd better be getting on home, says Sam, rising, but Burke takes his arm and begs him not to go--please--I have to have somebody to drink with and talk to, please. Sam sits back down. Burke says he's been sitting here wondering if it was all worth it--drink up, encourages Burke, ordering another round. The bartenders empties the ashtray. Sam says, I don't think I... It's OK, says Burke, Maggie'll wait for you--I used to be able to talk to you, tell you what was on my mind. That was a long time ago, says Sam. Ten years, says Burke. You can't come back here like you have, looking for trouble and expect to find friends! says Sam. I know, agrees Burke, let me tell you something--I didn't think it would bother me--I thought I'd come back here and nail Roger Collins to the wall--take what I wanted and live happily ever after--that's how it happens in fairy tales, not in life. No, it doesn't, agrees Sam. I wish we could be friends, says Burke--I wish everybody I used to know and like could be friends. You can't have it both ways, says Sam. Burke nods and says I guess you're right--let's forget all about it tonight--to amnesia! Sam chuckles and drinks to amnesia.

Liz its reading a book in the drawing room when Carolyn, wearing her raincoat, holding an umbrella, comes downstairs. I think you'd better stay home, says Liz. Honestly, the only thing I want to do is get out of the house for a little while and listen to some music, says Carolyn. A little while ago, you mentioned Burke Devlin, says Liz. I was angry with you, says Carolyn, you know as well as I do that Burke wouldn't have a thing to do with me--he's declared war on this entire family--and I'm part of it, God help me--good night--and she opens the door and looks out at the downpour. What about Vicki--I thought you could help me find her, says Liz. Find her--she's gone out, like I'm going to do, says Carolyn. She couldn't have gone out, says Liz, I'm afraid something's happened to her--I looked in her closet and all her coats were there. Then I suppose she'll come home with a cold, says Carolyn. (How cold and selfish this girl can be!)
I wish you'd stay home, I'm worried, says Liz. Tonight, says Carolyn, snapping open her umbrella, the only person I intend to worry about it me! And she walks away as lightning flashes. Liz goes inside and closes the doors.

Vicki looks around the room in which David has imprisoned her. She stands up on some furniture and tries to rattle the bars of the window.
Then she sits on a dirty, smelly cot and, exhausted, depressed, lies down.

Sam, at the bar, thanks the bartender for bringing him two more drinks, and calls him a good man. Here you are, Burke old pal, says Sam, bringing over the drinks--the service is lousy in this place. Remind me to give you a big fat tip, says Burke, now very drunk. This is a free service, gratis, says Sam, for a long standing friend--I care that (he snaps his fingers) for money. I happen to like money very much, says Burke--money, money, money. Money, hah! says Sam, the Collins family has it, and what's it gotten them--tell me, Burke old friend, what's it gotten them? He puts an arm around Burke. Ghosts! says Burke. Ghosties and ghoulies and long, legged beasties and things that go bump in the night, says Sam--I can sense their presence every time I look at that house on Widows' Hill. Tell me, have you ever really seen a ghost up there? asks Burke drunkenly. No, says Sam. Then how do you know that they're there? asks Burke, his voice hushed. Because...Sam laughs--what are we whispering for? he asks--demons haunt Collinwood--not a self-respecting saloon like this. If you haven't seen 'em, how do you know they're there? repeats Burke--tell me that. Because I'm an artist, says Sam, I have a soul, sensitivity--I said I could feel their presence every time I look up on that hill. Burke laughs and requests another drink for Sam--what do you think about a night like this--don't you think the ghosts are out like mad tonight? In droves, says Sam, like herds of buffalo, frightening everything in their path! Good, says Burke--can't you just see it, a whole herd of ghosts trampling through the front hall of Collinwood! Sam laughs--who needs a herd? he asks, I'd only need one. All right, only one, says Burke--one to terrify and scare 'em like they deserve to be scared--the bartender brings over more drinks, and Burke tells him to just put them down here--I'd tell ya, there's one person up there I wouldn't want to scare. And who would you spare in this crusade of yours? They clink glasses to "Cheers!" Vicki Winters, says Burke--I wouldn't want to scare her--I like her more than anyone up on that hill. To friendship, drinks Sam. Too bad old Bill Malloy isn't here, says Burke. You broke your promise, accuses Sam, you said you'd never mention his name. Forgive me, says Burke. I do, says Sam--I wish old Bill were here sitting in this chair, having a little drink with us. Maybe he is, says Burke. You're drunk, says Sam. The ghosts are out tonight, Burke reminds him, I heard you say so yourself. Like herds of buffalo! Says Sam. Burke puts an arm around him and asks if he really believes Malloy was murdered--you do, don't you? Yes, agrees Sam. Then why wouldn't his ghost be out tonight, trying to find out who killed him? asks Burke. You're right, says Sam, may he find whatever he's after--he rises to his feet--to Bill Malloy, he toasts, and Burke toasts, too. "What do you do with a drunken sailor, what do you do with a drunken sailor, what do you do with a drunken sailor early in the morning?" sings Sam. Burke grins. That was Bill's favorite song, says Sam. Do I know it, says Burke, I used to work on the boats with him--it's all you heard.
Together, they sing, "Put him in a longboard till he's sober till he's sober...early in the morning!" They continue to sing as Carolyn enters the bar, Sam with an arm around Burke, and Carolyn watches, amused, as the two sodden men clink glasses.

You have a good, strong voice! Burke praises Sam. Carolyn wrings out her wet scarf. You mean loud, that it is, says Sam--if we had a third, we could harmonize. Wait a minute, says Burke, I think your prayers are answered, don't go away. Burke staggers over to Carolyn and loudly welcomes her to the Metropolitan Opera House. He takes her hand and she laughs. You're potted, she says. No time for judgments tonight, says Burke, where's you're boyfriend? I don't have a boyfriend, says Carolyn. Then you won't mind joining us, says Burke--you know my good friend Sam Evans, I'm sure. Sam bids her good evening and shakes her hand, then kisses it. (They're married in real life at this point, remember.) He invites her to sit down. Quite a serenade, she says, and Burke explains that they sang it to an old, deserving friend who's searching for his just desserts. He notes that Carolyn is all wet, and she takes off her raincoat. Is it raining? asks Burke. Pouring! says Carolyn--how long have you been in here? Years and years, says Burke--what day did we come in here, Sam? I don't know, replies Sam--what day is it? he asks Carolyn. I think you're both crazy, she laughs. Wise, corrects Burke--only wise!--where's Vicki?--you should have brought her along. Carolyn fixes her hair and says she's sorry if he's disappointed. She's a nice girl, says Burke, her bright smile would brighten up this table. Then I guess you don't need me, she says, insulted, standing to go. Each man takes an arm to stop her, and Burke apologizes--he didn't mean anything. You must forgive my boorish friend, says Sam, as they ease her back into her seat--join us. What do you want to drink? asks Burke--or would you like something to eat? This reminds Sam that he's due to be elsewhere--oh, my God--I'm supposed to be home for dinner! says Sam--I'll get murdered! You tell Maggie not to touch a hair on your head, says Burke. This is a very special occasion, says Sam, she's having a young man over for dinner and I...well, I guess I'd better get going--see you around, Burke. Round and round, says Burke. Joe Haskell, right? asks Carolyn--Maggie's guest is Joe, isn't it? Did I say that? asks Sam. Loud and clear, says Carolyn. I'll see you around, says Sam, and leaves. Oh, the green eye of jealousy, huh? asks Burke. Why should I be jealous of anything Joe does? asks Carolyn. That's a good question, says Burke, and another is what are we going to do? That is entirely up to you, says Carolyn seductively. He begins to sing the song again, and raises his glass to Bill Malloy who died so cruelly in the sea. He drinks, then takes her hand and continues to sing. He touches her hair, singing, and she smiles at him.

Vicki hears that song, too, filtering into her dreams, and is asleep when Bill Malloy's ghost appears, covered with ocean water and seaweed, telling her, in a hoarse voice, to wake up. She does so, rising, and comes face to face with the ghost of the man who took a header off Lookout Point. Get away before you're killed! he warns. Seaweed waves on his arm as if in a wind--get away before you're killed, Miss Winters, he begs, then turns and disappears. Vicki, in total disbelief, shakes her head, sure she's dreaming--she knows she is! She goes over to the door and begs for somebody to let her out, please.
Then she stares at the floor where a pile of wet seaweed sits in a puddle and, realizing she can't deny such evidence any longer, cries out, oh, no!

NOTES: That was cool! Bill Malloy appears to warn Vicki to get away, before SHE is killed. He was a nice guy in life, and is one in death, too. Poor Vicki us sure she was just dreaming, but that water and seaweed indicate a ghostly visit for sure.. The segue from Burke singing the song to Bill was downright chilling--and very well done!

Enjoyed Sam and Burke's drunken revelry. I wondered if Burke was trying to get Sam drunk enough to reveal something about Malloy's death, but I suspect Burke's motive was loneliness. He just wanted someone to talk and drink with. Now he has Carolyn. How far will she go to "have fun"? Burke admitted his feelings to Sam about Vicki. What would he do if he knew where she is right now?

Poor Liz had her hands full with Carolyn. If she starts to date Burke on the rebound, it will drive Liz crazy. As for Maggie and Joe, I like them together. They make a nice couple. Notice how chummy Sam is with Carolyn here.

I wonder if David's plan is for Vicki to die in that room. That's more chilling that Malloy's ghost!

Episode #86 - I live at Collinwood, but the part of the mansion I'm in at the moment is a strange one--one that has been closed off for many years, is never used, never visited.

David stands on the landing. He comes downstairs, both hands on the railing, looking for someone. Liz comes into the foyer from the kitchen and asks if he's seen Vicki. No, says David, and I don't have any idea where she is. Roger exits the drawing room. I thought you might have seen her, that's all, says Liz. Well I haven't, says David, and I don't care if I ever do! Here, here, what's all this about? asks Roger. I'm worried about Vicki, says Liz. She's a big girl, she can look out for herself, Roger assures her. I have an uneasy feeling about her, says Liz. What difference does it make? asks David--like my father said, she can take care of herself.
Vicki pounds fruitlessly at the door, begging David to unlock the door--she promises she won't say anything to his father or aunt. She rattles the doorknob, again pleading with him to unlock the door and let her out. We see the lightning, hear the wind and rain, and feel Vicki's helplessness at her plight.

David, Liz and Roger enter the drawing room. Thunder booms. I've looked everywhere I can think of, says Liz, and there's no sign of Vicki in this house. Maybe she's in Carolyn's room, says David. There's no one there, says Liz. Carolyn went out on a night like this? asks Roger. Yes, says Liz, but she went out alone, Vicki wasn't with her. How do you know she was? asks David--maybe Vicki went out the back door and met her in the garage. I don't think so, says Liz--I noticed her purse in her room, and it's hard to go out without it. Then maybe she went out for a walk, says David, and when it started to rain, she had to stop someplace. When was the last time you saw her? asks Liz. I don't remember, says David. Have you seen her since the last time we saw her together? Asks Roger. No, I haven't, says David. How long ago was that? asks Liz. Sometime ago, says Roger. Maybe she got lost, suggests David--maybe a ghost took her! that's enough, says Liz, you'd better get ready for bed. Yes, says David, dejected, and he heads upstairs, first stopping to smile. Now they'll never find Miss Victoria Winters, he says aloud.

Did I detect a certain reluctance on your part to discuss Carolyn in front of David? Roger asks Liz. I've never seen her so upset, replies Liz--she'd had a fight with Joe Haskell and said she was going out to have fun with or without him. Good for her, says Roger, I hope she does exactly that. Liz makes a face and paces across the room.

Burke ushers Carolyn into his hotel room. I don't know when I've had such a wonderful evening! exults Carolyn. Let's just continue where we left off! suggests Burke. And where was that? she asks. I was having a drink, he says. Maybe I'll join you, she says. He holds out his hand--may I see your identification card? he asks. There are other ways to prove I'm old enough, she says. (?) We'll start with a drink, he says, heading to the kitchen. Don't make mine too strong, she says. That I won't, he promises. But make it strong enough, she says. All right, I will, says Burke. Carolyn pats her hair, then says she's so glad she ran into him. He asks her what's the town's most attractive girl doing at the Blue Whale, alone? I was in a mood, she says. A fight with your young man? he asks. I don't even want to talk about it, she says. He brings her a drink. Yes, we had a fight, she says, but he is not, as you so elegantly put it, my young man. In that case, he says, let's talk about a much more fascinating subject--your old man, me. Why do you always have to pretend you're so old? Asks Carolyn. I always feel that way when I'm around somebody so young, says Burke. I thought we just agreed you don't have to see my identification card to know my age, she says. You're absolutely right, he says, besides, a man shouldn't talk about a woman's age unless she's under seven or over 70. Correct, giggles Carolyn. Skoal, he says, holding up his glass to hers, and she asks what they should drink to. I don't see anyone else around here, do you? he asks. She shakes her head--no. Let's drink to us, he suggests, and she does, sipping her drink.

Thunder explodes outside and Burke suggests some music. He turns on a radio, from which we hear an announcer warning motorists to drive with caution, avoiding 202 if possible--1A is open to traffic and so is nine--flash floods...Burke finds a station playing music, and they agree that's much better. Besides, she says, with such a storm raging outside, I can't very well go home right away, can I? I'm sure if Sam was here, he'd have some Shakespearean quotation for that, says Burke. Do you really wish Sam were still with us? she asks. Now that you mention it, says Burke, I think he positively would be a third wheel. Isn't that supposed to be fifth wheel? Asks Carolyn. They laugh. Not if you're riding a two wheel carriage, he says, and speaking of carriages, you're is very good. She curtseys and says "Thank you, sir." Park it right here, he says, joining her on the sofa. Aren't I lucky to find a parking space when it's so congested? She asks. You're a preferred customer, he says. Am I? she asks. How else could you find a parking place so easily? He asks. Aren't I a member of the Collins family you've declared war against? She asks. I think the time has come to tell you, he says, that we've got to forget about this so-called war between me and the Collins family--agreed? he asks. She sips her drink. Agreed, she says--what do we talk about? We can always talk about me and my past, he says. I suppose there have been lots of girls in it, she says. There have been a few, he admits. She nods and says she thinks she prefers talking about his future.

David takes his crystal ball into the kitchen area. Roger stops, asking where he's going. To get something to eat, he says. I thought you were told to go to bed, says Roger. I was told to get ready for bed, says David. I see, says Roger, and when have you been so particular with exact words?--what are you doing with that silly toy? It's not silly, David assures his father, setting the crystal down on the foyer table--I can see lots of things in it. What do you see in it right now? asks Roger. Nothing yet, says David, staring into it--I have to let it warm up. (LOL!) Your Aunt Elizabeth has gone upstairs to see if you went to bed, if she finds you down here, she might very well warm you up, young man. No she won't, says David, not if I tell her I'm finding out who killed Mr. Malloy. I'm losing my patience with you about that, says Roger--the sheriff and the coroner are both satisfied it was accidental death, regrettable but purely accidental. Maybe they're satisfied, says David, but my crystal ball isn't. Why don't you use your mystic powers to put them to more practical use and find out where Miss Winters is, says Roger. I don't know where she is, I told you that already, says David. I believe you, says Roger, that's why I want you to ask your friend in the crystal ball. I did ask, but every time I ask, it clouds up, says David. Oh, says Roger, then apparently there are some mysteries even your clairvoyance can't clear up--go on, ask where Miss Winters is. David looks into the glass and asks, "Crystal ball, let me see where Miss Winters is!" I told you, says David, I can't see anything. Maybe you shouldn't ask the crystal ball, says Roger, maybe you should ask yourself where Miss winters is.

Vicki, looking very disheveled, wanders her prison, hugging herself against the cold. She sits on the coat and lies back. She hears a creaking sound and sits up, frightened. She goes to the door. David, you out there?--I heard you, she says--I know you didn't meant to hurt me, she says reasonably, and you only thought it was a joke, locking me up in here--David, it' not funny anymore--please let me out--I promise you I won't say anything about this at all, to your father, or your aunt--David?--PLEASE LET ME OUT!--she bangs at the door--PLEASE!

Burke sits beside Carolyn on the sofa, regaling her of stories of his travels. You haven't lived till you see Rio at carnival time! he assures her--Rio for those few days it's as if a man doesn't have an enemy in the world--nothing to do but enjoy yourself. It sounds heavenly! Says Carolyn. It wasn't as heavenly as all that, he says. You mean there was a bit of hell-raising, she teases. There's a thin line between the two, says Burke. I'll bet I know which side of the line you were on, she teases. My dear Miss Stoddard, he starts to say, but she presses her fingers against his mouth and corrects him--"Carolyn," she says. He takes her hand and says, "My dear Carolyn." Why don't you try that without the "my" she suggests. Dear Carolyn, he says, kissing her hand. Yes, she says. He holds her hand pressed to his chest and says he forgot what he was going to say--do you mind if I put my feet up on the table? He slips off his shoes. They're your feet, she says, smiling. He puts his stockinged feet up on the coffee table, explaining that the last time he did this in front of a girl, he was the most embarrassed guy she ever saw. Hole in the sock? Says Carolyn. Both socks, says Burke, and to complicate matters, she couldn't speak English and I couldn't speak Portuguese. What did she do? asks Carolyn. She taught me a great deal, says Burke, about coffee--there are many theories about the best coffee bean. Were you in love with her? asks Carolyn. Oh, no, we were very good friends, he says. Burke, says Carolyn, have you ever been in love. He looks suddenly angry and says yes, once. Was it always such a painful experience? She asks. He comes around the back of the sofa and leans in closer to her. Not really, he says. She looks at him.

Thunder and lightning fill the drawing room as Roger walks from there into the foyer and says to David, I wish I knew--just what it is you know--or don't know. Well, says David, if you look in the crystal ball, maybe you'd be able to see what I see. Maybe I would at that, agrees Roger--there's something I certainly do see. Liz comes to David and shows him a key. He asks where she got it. That's just what I want to know from you, she says--I went into your room to see if you were in bed and just happened to see this key on your desk. My desk? He asks, feigning perfect puzzlement. Roger's face shows he knows all now. I want to know where you got it, says Liz. I don't know, I've never seen it before, says David. Things like keys don't simply appear, says Liz, someone has to put it there. Maybe one of the widows put it there, suggests Roger, or maybe one of David's pet ghosts. That's who put it there, says David--the widows! That's enough, says Liz--I know what this key opens and I think you do, too. How could I know? he asks innocently, I've never seen it before. It opens the door to the closed--off section of the house, says Liz. This key you found on David's desk opens that door? asks Roger. Yes, says Liz, there's no other one exactly like it. I thought you were the only one who had they key, says Roger. There are duplicates, says Liz, but they all have special tops so they can be recognized immediately. I don't believe that key opens the door, says David, shrugging. You don't? she says, all I have to do is go upstairs and try it. Go ahead! Says David malevolently, see if I care! Liz turns toward the stairs and says she will. Aunt Elizabeth, says David--you're right, that is the key--you don't have to try it, I know that it fits. Where did you get it? asks Liz. I found it--a long time ago, he says. I try so hard to believe you, she says, do you understand that? Thank you, he says. Now that you simply tell me that you found the key and didn't use it for anything, she says, I believe you. She kisses him and says she'll put it upstairs with the rest of her keys.
Roger now sits on top of the foyer table. Look into your crystal ball again, will you? he advises his son. What do you want me to look for? asks David. I want you to fine out if *I* believe you, says his father. David looks scared.

I don't believe it, says Carolyn, I simply don't believe you were marooned on a desert island with a beautiful girl for three days and three nights--and nothing happened. Burke has returned from the kitchen with another drink. He explains that the girl's people were chiefs of a neighboring tribe, and they knew he was out to destroy them--so there I was, alone, with this beautiful daughter in a hotel room. I thought it was an island interrupts Carolyn. Don't interrupt, he says, slurring his words, every man is an island unto himself--there they were, and I knew if I made so much as a pass at this beautiful young girl, it would be totally misconstrued--the natives would think I was using it to get my terrible retribution--they wouldn't believe for once minute that I was entranced by the beautiful fair maiden. I thought she was a native girl, says Carolyn. She was, he says, caressing her hair, a beautiful blonde young girl. Did she show her identity card to prove her age? Asks Carolyn. Well, unfortunately, he says, checking his watch, there wasn't time--also, it wasn't necessary--she was a very smart young girl, and she decided she'd better tear herself away from me and swim home--she was a very good swimmer. It's been a charming evening, says Carolyn almost angrily, retrieving her coat and putting it on. ("Shadow of Your Smile" plays on the radio.) You forgot your umbrella, he says, handing it to her. I didn't mean that the way it sounded, she says--this has been the most wonderful evening I've had in my whole life! Do you think we could have a few more? He asks. Yes, she says. Shall I drive you home? he asks. The chiefs might not approve, she says--besides, I'm a very good swimmer. (Besides, it would be DWI.) He touches her face and kisses her, a soft, short one. She leaves, looking like a girl in love.
Burke smiles. Miss Carolyn Collins Stoddard, he says, you'd better be a good swimmer--because soon you're going to find yourself in a whirlpool--with no where to go but down.

Roger pours himself a drink in the drawing room. "To Miss Victoria Winters," he toasts, "no matter where you are."

Vicki stands in her prison, covering her ears. She takes a glass and throws it at the barred window. The glass shatters and falls to the floor. Vicki listens at the door, then kneels and looks through the keyhole. She takes a piece of paper and tries to slid it out under the door, then takes a hairpin and pushes the key out of the hole and onto the paper. She carefully slides the paper back into the room, but the key doesn't come in with it.
She crumbles the paper into a ball, furious, and tosses it away, then bangs helplessly at the door as thunder and lightning continue to batter the house.

NOTES: Poor Vicki. She's trying everything. If she is rescued, will she tell everyone she saw Bill Malloy's ghost? Will they think her daft?

Roger is such a bastard! He KNOWS his son has done something terrible to Vicki, and not only doesn't he try to search for her, he actually toasts her disappearance--wherever she is! I never realized before what a cruel villain he was in these early episodes, but he really deserves to go to jail, for this and so many other reprehensible acts! And David knows his father knows and is actually supporting him in this cruel trick! I don't think Roger needs to worry about David being Burke's son, the apple surely didn't fall far from this rotten tree!

Burke is no better. He's charming and seducing Carolyn, even though she probably thinks she's the one doing the seducing. He knows she's vulnerable right now, on the rebound from Joe, yet he's homing in on her--with intentions of deliberately hurting her, using her to further his own revenge against the family. Carolyn is a guppy and Burke is a great white shark, and I fear for her terribly right now. She looked totally caught up in that kiss.

And how could Liz so easily believe David, knowing how easily he lies? She wants to believe he's turning into a good boy, but she is badly mistaken!

Have a great weekend!

Love, Robin