Author Topic: OT : Vampire Hunter D  (Read 1390 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
OT : Vampire Hunter D
« on: February 24, 2002, 06:11:58 AM »
Originally posted by arashi on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 24, 2002 at 00:11:58:

This is pretty off-topic, not DS related, but vampire related.

I don't know how many people know this, but I am a HUGE fan of japanese animation (Oh no! Big eyes, boobs and guns!) It's not really like that, seriously.

Anyhow, I'm recommending a TERRIFIC vampire movie to you all, it's titled Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust. It's about a half-human, half-vampire, Vampire Hunter named D. (He's very cool). Anyhow, woman is kidnapped from her bed by a vampire in the dead of night, her family hires D to get her back, dead or alive, and to "put her out of her misery" so to speak if she has been turned. But he has competition, for the family has also hired another team of Bounty Hunters to find their daughter. A lot of things turn out to be "not what they seem", like what are the vampire's plans for the young woman? (I'd give you more examples but I can't without ruining the plot!)

There was another Vampire Hunter D movie made in 1985, but the latest movie makes the old one look like Hanna-Barbera.

If you can check your local Blockbuster or whatever video store for it, it's amazing. The animation is astounding, and the storyline is incredible. It was just released on DVD earlier this month (or late january I forget) but make SURE you rent Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust if you want to see what I'm talking about.

The opening sequence is worth it alone!

(And don't worry, it's in English! Even the original Japanese theater version was in English with Japanese subtitles. Rare!)

~Arashi
(I don't know what Grove is, but he's freaking COOL!!!)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: OT : Vampire Hunter D
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2002, 06:15:19 AM »
Originally posted by arashi on February 24, 2002 at 00:15:19:
In Reply to: OT : Vampire Hunter D posted by arashi on February 24, 2002 at 00:11:58:

I hate you can't ammend your posts, but anyhow, I'll post the official website URL.

Vampire Hunter D : Blood Lust
http://www.vampirehunterdbloodlust.com/

I'm serious guys, This is the BEST animated movie I have EVER seen! (And I've seen a lot!)

~Arashi

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2002, 06:24:03 AM »
Originally posted by Midnite on February 24, 2002 at 00:24:03:
In Reply to: Re: OT : Vampire Hunter D posted by arashi on February 24, 2002 at 00:15:19:

I hate you can't ammend your posts

You'll be able to edit your posts soon, sweetie, I promise.

Thanks for the recommendation! This might be a dumb question, but is Arashi an animation character?

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OT : Vampire Hunter DARREN
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2002, 11:15:39 AM »
Originally posted by Darren Gross on February 24, 2002 at 05:15:39:
In Reply to: Re: OT : Vampire Hunter D posted by arashi on February 24, 2002 at 00:15:19:

Cool. I have it around here somewhere- I'm supposed to review it and have been looking forward to it.

If you love Anime, too Arashi, you must see METROPOLIS in the theater. It's an absolute stunner and one of the most beautiful animated films, period.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2002, 07:47:40 PM »
Originally posted by jennifer on February 24, 2002 at 13:47:40:
In Reply to: Re: OT : Vampire Hunter D posted by Midnite on February 24, 2002 at 00:24:03:

Thanks Arashi have to check that out i've been looking for something new to view. only things i've been watching are 24 and am waiting for my beloved Red Sox
to return.Sounds veri interesting!!!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2002, 03:09:48 AM »
Originally posted by Mark Rainey on February 24, 2002 at 21:09:48:
In Reply to: OT : Vampire Hunter D posted by arashi on February 24, 2002 at 00:11:58:

Vampire Hunter D really is a cool movie; excellent musical score, too. Not so much these days, but I was heavily into anime for many years, and this has always ranked as one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the English dubbed version, like most Japanese products, bites the big one. I had the original Japanese language tape way back when, and it was far more intense -- mainly because the voice actors portrayed the characters seriously. You just don't get that in virtually any English translation, as if a cartoon can't possibly warrant a serious approach.

This movie came close to making me late for my own wedding. I was showing it to several friends who'd come in from out of town on that fateful day in August 1986. No way in hell were we gonna cut Vampire Hunter D short for anything so trifling as getting hitched.

So we drove to the church very fast.

Also, perhaps a little closer to on topic -- "D" is at least partially responsible for the characterization of Thomas Rathburn in DREAMS OF THE DARK...

Mark

The Realm http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2002, 04:00:10 PM »
Originally posted by Steve on February 25, 2002 at 10:00:10:

This movie has been shown several times locally, but I've missed it. It did sound interesting, although I heard it was awash in gratuitous violence, which made me wonder whether I would enjoy it.

I'm sorry to see you diss Hanna-Barbera. There was so much more to them than the Flintstones. Jonny Quest, the original 1964 episodes, had some of the best animation ever produced in America, I thought. The remake (as usual with these things) was unwatchable.

Steve

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2002, 10:44:29 PM »
Originally posted by arashi on February 25, 2002 at 16:44:29:
In Reply to: Re: OT : Vampire Hunter D posted by Midnite on February 24, 2002 at 00:24:03:

This is one of those questions that if you ask me, I can talk for hours. But I'll spare you and give ya the short version ;)

Arashi is a character in a Japanese comic series named X. She has a sword sheathed in her body, that when she needs it, bursts through the palm of her hand. (She is very cool. It was made into a horrible movie in 96 (or so) and has recently been made into a TV series. The series is about Fate and the End of the World.

This is what she looks like http://www.hollowmoon.net/sites/subliminal/spookshow/bw/bwa.jpg

I have a website devoted to her here. http://www.hollowmoon.net/sites/subliminal/

Offline The Cryptkeeper

• Dark Shadows fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2002, 06:38:50 PM »

One of the best japan anime-horror films in a long time. Out does the original with some of the baddest monsters. such as vampires, zombie-vampires, werewolf, demons, etc...I highly recommened this one!!! ;D

Offline DSFAN4EVER

• Junior Poster
  • ...yeah, yeah I know BIG TEETH run in our family!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2002, 07:53:34 PM »
Sounds like[shadow=red,left,300]BLADE[/shadow] to me, which I enjoyed quit a bit!
PEACE TO ALL!!!!

DSFAN4EVER

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2002, 10:40:18 PM »
Sounds like[shadow=red,left,300]BLADE[/shadow] to me, which I enjoyed quit a bit!

i liked Blade too DS fan! 8)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2002, 11:27:17 PM »
I have a website devoted to her here.http://www.hollowmoon.net/sites/subliminal/

I've become a big fan of your web work Arashi - you have some excellent stuff! Very original layouts and design.  If any on the board haven't seen her work I would recommend that you check it out. [thumb]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2002, 01:46:24 AM »
::falls over:: Ahh! You're so nice!! Thanks so much!

~Arashi