Author Topic: Fest Swag  (Read 1553 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Fest Swag
« on: January 31, 2006, 05:47:24 AM »
I've got a serious collector's itch >:D - ('06 will be my first fest) - how have the dealer's rooms been in the past?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Fest Swag
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 10:10:59 AM »
I envy you.   Never a DS fest for me.   It's been Doctor Who things for me the last 20 years or so.    The DS things are so distant.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 10:57:34 AM »
I think the dealer's rooms are pretty decent. There's plenty to see and buy. You'll want to make the rounds a couple times though. Some of the dealers have the same items for sale (such as photographs) at different prices. Be sure to check out the dealer selling shots of the actors outside ABC in NY. Those are killer!

Say, that IS Tor Johnson you've got under your moniker, eh?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 03:55:55 PM »
Be sure to check out the dealer selling shots of the actors outside ABC in NY. Those are killer!

I agree, the dealor w/these pics is a guy named Jay Nass and not only does he have some of the best pics in da room, but he's a hell of a nice guy too!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Dark Shadows Collectiables
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 05:11:20 PM »
I agree, the dealor w/these pics is a guy named Jay Nass and not only does he have some of the best pics in da room, but he's a hell of a nice guy too!

I met and bought alot of great color pictures from him at the 1989 DS festival in NYC,  some that i have not seen anywhere else.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 09:46:03 PM »
Say, that IS Tor Johnson you've got under your moniker, eh?

The one and only!  ;D
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 09:59:03 PM »
how have the dealer's rooms been in the past?
This past year, the dealers didn't do a very brisk business. Part of it had to do with scheduling and folks clinging tenaciously to their prized seats in the main room. Part of it also had to do with the layout of the hotel and the traffic flow. Most of the actors who set up tables to sell their wares did so outside the dealers' room, which does make it easier when it comes time for the autograph line, but I suspect some folks didn't realize there was a separate room behind them, especially since the lines for autographs, badges, and banquet tickets were sometimes configured in such a way that the room appeared to be closed and/or off-limits.  :(

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 10:43:39 PM »
........... the lines for autographs, badges, and banquet tickets ......  :(

If there's just one aspect of the DS Fests that could make a saint weep, it's the line for badges.  I walked off the line at Tarrytown and might never have actually secured my badge if Gothick and Dom hadn't shown up and convinced me to get back on the line (and kept me company... :D).

They've been throwing this same party for years.  Why is it possible to handle all other aspects of the registration by mail, but the badges have to be picked up in person?

I'm not just bitching aimlessly here.....I'd really like to know.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 04:16:58 PM »
If there's just one aspect of the DS Fests that could make a saint weep, it's the line for badges.  They've been throwing this same party for years.  Why is it possible to handle all other aspects of the registration by mail, but the badges have to be picked up in person?

I've been told by a friend who's "cozy" w/Jim Pierson that the reason is IF they sent the badges in the mail and ppl lost them, there'd be a problem for ppl who paid in advance getting in yada-yada.  I personally think this is crap.  If you loose that RECEIPT Ann Wilson sends you you're screwed as well and they TELL you this w/the confirmation letter that if you lose the receipt you'll have to pay again!  So, that being said, they should just send the badges w/the same warning.  If it's an issue of the pins being a problem to mail, they are EASILY removable and they could put all the pins in a bucket on the Fest table outside the main room and tell ppl to pick up a pin on their way into the room.

The organization of these things is just....well....DON'T get me started!!!   >:(
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 05:32:48 PM »
How much of an issue could lost badges be?  Mail them to us.  Those of us who don't receive them, or who manage to loose them, need only show up with a photo ID, and that all-important receipt, to prove who we are, and have new ones issued.  How many of us could POSSIBLY need second badges?  As opposed to ALL of us standing in line?

If I'm missing some aspect of this arrangement that would better explain why we have to pick up the badges on-site, could someone please enlighten me?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 05:37:46 PM »
How much of an issue could lost badges be?  Mail them to us.  Those of us who don't receive them, or who manage to loose them, need only show up with a photo ID, and that all-important receipt, to prove who we are, and have new ones issued.  How many of us could POSSIBLY need second badges?  As opposed to ALL of us standing in line?

If I'm missing some aspect of this arrangement that would better explain why we have to pick up the badges on-site, could someone please enlighten me?

Any Fest Committee members want to ring in?  BTW, I completely agree w/you.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"