Author Topic: If Barnabas had married during the course of the series.....  (Read 6797 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: If Barnabas had married during the course of the series.....
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 06:01:20 PM »
i hate to say it but the pairing that would have had the most interesting storyline possiblities would have been barnabas and...angelique.

their love/hate push/pull dynamic served as the catalyst for some of the most interesting storytelling on the show.

i think that barnabas and josette(and all of her look-alike incarnations)needed to remain forever the ill-fated lovers.it simply was not their destiny to end up together happily.

i know that there are alot out there who envisioned barnabas and julia together but i think that would have ended up being very boring.as it was i think the cat-and-mouse dynamic they had before 1795 was much more fascinating than co-dependence they shared later on.it just gets too easy.

barnabas and vicki are an interesting thought to ponder.while it's highly doubtful that they ever would have married if alexandra hadn't left the show i wonder if t.p.t.b. would ever have decided that a pairing between the two(however briefly)would have been a possibility or would some sort of burke/jeff type of obstruction always be put in place?

as for roxanne she and barnabas are perhaps the most boring and contrived coupling ever on the show.

elizabeth was a blood relative so that has a distict "yuck factor" to it. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 06:57:14 PM »
Well, if Angelique hadn't interfered with Barnabas and Josette, they would have been perfect together, although in his eyes, it seemed as though she could do nothing wrong, and I wonder  how long their marriage might have lasted with such high expectations.

Even the most loving couple gets in to an argument every now and then, but if they went in to the marriage expecting perfection, it would be a harsh reality to discover that neither of them was flawless.
Josette and all her reincarnations got a bit tiring and he should have moved on. I'm not trying to be insensitive, because I know it was traumatic for him to lose Josette the way he did, but he could find so much more happiness if he would have let her go.

Angelique could have been loving, but her uncertainty and jealousy caused her to manipulate people, and even when Barnabas married her, she was constantly looking over her shoulder to make certain another woman wasn't  trying to steal him away from her. I think she was too involved in her spells and deceptions to ever give them up. And after all she did to him and his family, I just can't see them mending their marriage and going on from there.

Barnabas often bossed Julia around, and she just as often gave in to his demands, but she was the only one courageous enough to confront him about being a vampire.

She grounded him in reality and sensibility when he wanted to rush headlong in to something that was less than safe or wise, and many was the time he heeded her warnings. She had the greatest influence over him, far more so than anyone else.

I think that if she ever realized where she stood with barnabas, and stopped trying to get him to notice her, she could have had even more sway over him. He changed her behavior as well, softening her manner and helping her to come out of herself and allow others to get closer to her.

IMHO, she would be the best choice for him.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 08:19:31 PM »
But some of you forget that Barnabas HAD married....Angelique... and never divorced her..  So I'm with David.  Besides, Angelique stood up to Barnabas.  I think Barnabas liked that.  At least Angelique never kow-tow'd to Barnabas.....except in bed, and then he did rule.  He liked being married to Angelique.  That love/hate relationship.  I also think that when they had met at different times, that, yes, they had went to bed together.  And you know what they say...'The worst the argument, the better the lovemaking'.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Professor Stokes

• Barnabas Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Conversation Pit
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 09:33:37 PM »
Hmmmmm ...if Barnabas had married ...... let's explore the possible mates:

Julia - She was always warm for his form ...even if she didn't always admit it. But Barnabas saw her as a confidante, like a sister-figure.

Maggie - Nope. No chemistry there.

Eve - They would have killed each other before the honeymoon was over  :o

Josette - He always held onto that flame ...but she was gone. Flinging yourself off the cliff cuts down on the future prospects.

Vicky - He loved Victoria, but she was always busy with other pursuits to pick up on his hints.

Beth - She was too taken with Quentin.

Carolyn- Nope. No chemistry there.

Mrs. Johnson - Tenacious and strong enough to handle Barnabas on a daily basis, but ....damn, girl ...do something about that hair!!!

And the winner is .........
Angelique!

:o <Runs for cover from small music boxes hurled at near-sound-velocity by irate DSF members!>

Angelique is the only one for Barnabas. In spite of the dirty deed done by her, back in 1795 she knew he was her soul-mate. He didn't see it until much later when they became uneasy allies against a common enemy.

Angelique is the only one who could handle Barnabas, besides Mrs. Johnson. And she's too busy tending to her shiftless son anyways.
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 10:05:19 PM »
Okay, Barnabas married Angelique. Barnabas then dies from the curse which she placed upon him. He then returns to life, (so to speak), then winds up killing her.

So technically once they were both dead the marriage was dissolved. But since they both were able to defeat death, are they still married?  ???

She forces Barnabas in to marrying her, and although she then tells him he doesn't have to wed her, Barnabas is much too honorable to go back on his word.

She then curses him, in essence, transforming a portion of his personality in to something cold and dark.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 11:32:24 PM »
     Oh goodness gracious, MB. Are you kidding?  Mrs. Johnson and Barnabas? :o  That is sooo creepy on so many levels.  She looked like his aunt(not exactly oedipal as Elizabeth and Barnabas)but still creepy.
     I can't think of anyone he would marry.  Angelique reminds me of Glenn Close in that movie with Michael Douglas(can't think of the name).  She would be offing any woman that spoke to him.  The lady that delivers his mail, waitresses at the coffee shop, and anyone resembling Josette.  If the show had stayed on the air,  he would be paired with the SYT du jour and just like the guy in the red shirt in Star Trek she would be disposed of.  Just look how many women bit the dust on the ponderosa.  Four handsome guys with land and money and they never had a long term gal.  They even had a male housekeeper Hop Sing.  If the men on the ponderosa couldn't get a gal, Barnabas doesn't stand a chance.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 12:12:44 AM »
Josette - He always held onto that flame ...but she was gone. Flinging yourself off the cliff cuts down on the future prospects.

Sorry, gotta butt in here.  Quite tragically a 22 year old innocent woman with all the advantages in the world, flung herself over a steep cliff into sharp rocks that must have been a painful and gruesome death. Josette, wearing those rose colored glasses, was too well-bred to believe, even in that moment when Angelique was tormenting her, that her former maid was baiting her to her death. How could Josette understand that Barnabas, the man she loyally stuck by despite love potions and the whole Angelique bit, was a vampire. As a viewer I can't blame her innocence. What woman with her upbringing in 1795 could believe such things at such short notice and with the people she loved most. The audience hasn't a clue how happy Barnabas and Josette could have been as they never had the opportunity nor the screen time.

I also believe that once a murdering criminal Angelique would not likely change her colors, even for Barnabas. Barnabas was too honest not to understand that Angeqliue was probably emotionally incapable of love. Barnabas only became the monster he was after the curse was put on him. This "Barnabas" was never the true man again. OK. Angelique might be the only woman/monster for Barnabas the vampire but as even Barnabas once admitted "Barnabas is dead".

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 12:39:18 AM »
I also believe that once a murdering criminal Angelique would not likely change her colors, even for Barnabas. Barnabas was too honest not to understand that Angeqliue was probably emotionally incapable of love. Barnabas only became the monster he was after the curse was put on him. This "Barnabas" was never the true man again. OK. Angelique might be the only woman/monster for Barnabas the vampire but as even Barnabas once admitted "Barnabas is dead".

Yes, Angelique did too many ghastly things for Barnabas to truly forgive and forget.

Let's tally up all the horrible things she did in the name of "love".

She causes Barnabas to choke, then enters his room with Josette, and observes him struggling for breath,  and pretends to sincerely care about Josette's frantic concern. It's true she lifted the spell once she thought it would kill him, but that too was for her own sake.

She then forces poor Ben to work for her, ignoring his protests, and threatening to kill him if he doesn't obey her every order.

She bewitches Jeremiah and Josette in to falling in love with each other, going so far as to allow them to run away together and get married.

Upon their return she coldly remains silent as Barnabas believes that his best friend, Jeremiah, and the only woman he loved betrayed him, and looks on as Barnabas and Jeremiah engage in a fatal duel, resulting in Jeremiah's death.

When that didn't turn Barnabas to her, she employed her magic against an innocent child, remorselessly causing her intense pain, almost to the point of death. If barnabas will marry her, she promises to cure little sarah, and he gives in for the life of his beloved sister.

IMHO, harming a child was very wrong of her, and I don't think barnabas could so easily set that aside, even if she did make sarah well again. After all, it was Angelique who caused her to suffer in the first place.

With her curses, she destroyed many in the Collins family, and those close to them.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 01:05:25 AM »
I think most of us know what it is like to have an unrequited love or be dumped.  It's not a pleasant thing to happen to you.

However, setting out to destroy the "dumper's" family and turning him into a vampire is overreacting just a wee bit.

Angelique not having the benefit of Dr. Phil's advice sure took its toll.

Nancy

Yes, Angelique did too many ghastly things for Barnabas to truly forgive and forget.

Let's tally up all the horrible things she did in the name of "love".

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 01:09:56 AM »
Angelique not having the benefit of Dr. Phil's advice sure took its toll.

LOL! Too funny!  ;D

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 02:32:48 AM »
Okay, as David and Terry say, Barnabas DID marry during the show, to Angelique, and [spoiler]he did not do anything to deny the marriage in 1840, even though she blackmailed him into agreeing to let her move to the Old House.  However, Angelique underwent a major change by the end of 1840, finally realizing that she had to free Barnabas from her power in order to finally help him realize she truly loved him,[/spoiler] in spite of all the twisted turns that took in 1795 and other times, and of course the 1840 Angelique did not have the memory of being Cassandra or of 1897...

Okay, so I think by the end of 1840 Angelique finally transformed herself into being a real soulmate for Barnabas, and of course, she had a shared history with him from way back in his original life in 1795, so could share that past history with him, but Angelique had to transform in order to deserve Barnabas' love--I do not think her transformation is out of line as some have thought, if you take the entire cannon of the Barnabas/Angelique relationship, as time and time again he would go to Angelique for help, if he truly only felt hate for her I don't think he would have done that, deep down some of the original attraction to her remained.

Having said that, I also think Barnabas truly loved Josette, but I think in time his marriage to her might have become boring as someone said, if the relationship was only based on an idealization of love, but of course one will never know...

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 02:42:44 AM »
But if he wants an actual live-in wife, Elizabeth would have been perfect for him - beautiful and gracious, but smart enough to see through a lot of guff when she cares to.

Beautiful, gracious and smart, I agree, but but but

SHE LOOKS JUST LIKE HIS MOTHER!!!  EWWWWW!
 ;)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 02:44:37 AM »
But some of you forget that Barnabas HAD married....Angelique... and never divorced her..  So I'm with David.  Besides, Angelique stood up to Barnabas.  I think Barnabas liked that.  At least Angelique never kow-tow'd to Barnabas.....except in bed, and then he did rule.  He liked being married to Angelique.  That love/hate relationship.  I also think that when they had met at different times, that, yes, they had went to bed together.  And you know what they say...'The worst the argument, the better the lovemaking'.
well he died that seems more final than divorce heehee but Terry you have brought up some interesting
points how do you know Barnabas ruled in bed?....also i think angelique was more caught up in being "mrs barnabas Collins"
than worrying about doing the nasty and since this seems not to exist on DS(except for the scene with Jeb
and Carolyn) hence the few children born it seems we never knew this relationship except those nights spoken about
on the island maybe Angelique ruled i also see no proof that he liked being married to Angelique quite the opposite
just MHO interesting thoughts though

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 02:50:07 AM »
But if he wants an actual live-in wife, Elizabeth would have been perfect for him - beautiful and gracious, but smart enough to see through a lot of guff when she cares to.

Beautiful, gracious and smart, I agree, but but but

SHE LOOKS JUST LIKE HIS MOTHER!!!  EWWWWW!
great point Nelson how creepy :o

jennifer
and Harry as a stepson double creepy :o :o
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 02:59:56 AM »
the most interesting storyline possiblities would have been barnabas and...angelique.  their love/hate push/pull dynamic served as the catalyst for some of the most interesting storytelling on the show.

I agree, they were interesting together, and Jonathan and Lara had incredible chemistry together, which is why, I'm sure, they [spoiler]were paired up in 1841 PT[/spoiler]

barnabas and julia¢â‚¬¦cat-and-mouse dynamic they had before 1795 was much more fascinating than the co-dependence they shared later on.  it just gets too easy.

I liked the back and forth w/them a lot too, but I preferred them as allies, the dynamic duo I call them.  But you're right, they WERE co-dependant upon one another, LOL!  They TOTALLY enabled one another!

as for roxanne she and barnabas are perhaps the most boring and contrived coupling ever on the show.

This coupling was ridiculous, period.  It came out of left field, was too quick and besides, Jon and Donna had ZERO chemistry.  Now, having said that, I didn't mind them together TOO much in 1840.  Figure THAT one out cousins!  ;)  Maybe they'd worn me down by then, LOL!  The only other coupling as ridiculous is Quentin and Amanda!  :P

elizabeth was a blood relative so that has a distict "yuck factor" to it. :P

Not to mention she was a clone practically of his mother, talk about an Oedipal complex!  :P

Josette and all her reincarnations got a bit tiring¢â‚¬¦he could find so much more happiness if he would have let her go.

Which I think was the whole point of him being paired w/Roxanne.  When [spoiler]Josette's ghost tells him to let her go and find someone else, he finds Roxanne in like 2 weeks![/spoiler]

Barnabas often bossed Julia around, and she just as often gave in to his demands, but she was the only one courageous enough to confront him about being a vampire.  She grounded him in reality and sensibility when he wanted to rush headlong in to something that was less than safe or wise, and many was the time he heeded her warnings. She had the greatest influence over him, far more so than anyone else.  He changed her behavior as well, softening her manner and helping her to come out of herself and allow others to get closer to her.  IMHO, she would be the best choice for him.

Again, agree w/this!  He treated her like crap a lot, even after they were friends, and she let him!  I didn't enjoy THAT part of their relationship, her basically becoming a doormat.  That said, a lot of the time when he bossed her around he was doing it for her own good, to protect her.  Like when [spoiler]he point blank tells her there's no way in hell she's going back to PT w/him because "it's too dangerous".[/spoiler]

She did have great sway w/him and he listened to her more than anyone else it's true.  He'd think things out more after she'd advise him, but not all of the time.  And yeah, she changed a lot being friends w/him.  She went from the Ice Maiden to a warm, caring, compassionate person.  Remember how cold and detached she was in the beginning when she was treating Maggie at Wyndcliff?

But some of you forget that Barnabas HAD married....Angelique... and never divorced her..  So I'm with David.  Besides, Angelique stood up to Barnabas.  I think Barnabas liked that.

I can't disagree w/this.  She had moxy and as much as Barnabas probably hated it, he admired it too I think.  And it's true, they never divorced and neither TRULY died, so they ARE still married.  Remember, [spoiler]in 1840 she tells him she'll spare Roxanne if he comes and lives w/her as man and wife, "because that is what we are!" she tells him.  And she's 100% correct and he knows it, which is, I think, part of the reason he caves, because he can't argue w/her that she's NOT his wife.[/spoiler]

Okay, so I think by the end of 1840 Angelique finally transformed herself into being a real soulmate for Barnabas, and of course, she had a shared history with him from way back in his original life in 1795, so could share that past history with him

Errrp, sorry, gotta disagree w/this.  I don't think their so-called ¢â‚¬Ëœhistory' was anything he'd want to reminiss about quite frankly.  Unless it was to throw into her face all the crap she did to him and his family just because he dumped her.

time and time again he would go to Angelique for help, if he truly only felt hate for her I don't think he would have done that, deep down some of the original attraction to her remained.

Again, gotta disagree.  He went to her for help again and again, it's true.  But it was always reluctantly, and as a last resort.  And he would always say, w/more than a hint of sarcasm, "What price must I pay for this?"  ;)

how do you know Barnabas ruled in bed?.... maybe Angelique ruled.

I think Angie probably did, and scared the hell out of him in the process, LOLLOL!   >:D

also i think angelique was more caught up in being "mrs barnabas Collins" than worrying about doing the nasty and since this seems not to exist on DS(except for the scene with Jeb and Carolyn) hence the few children born

Um, you're forgetting the very scandalicious episode 1202 when [spoiler]Bramwell and Catherine did the deed.  Remember, he ended up getting her pregnant!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"