Author Topic: America Bewitched: 1795 and 1840 Not so Far-Fetched?  (Read 960 times)

Online ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
America Bewitched: 1795 and 1840 Not so Far-Fetched?
« on: November 01, 2013, 12:08:17 AM »
I think we all found the witch trial storylines of 1795 and 1840 to be ridiculous.  A hundred years and more after Salem, who would try anyone for witchcraft?  However, after completeing America Bewitched by Owen Davies, I'm wondering if perhaps we haven't been a little too hard on the show's writers.   

Davies's book is a highly comprehensive study of witchcraft beliefs in America post-1692 (at times, in fact, it feels oversaturated with detail).  The author examines the superstitions, folk customs and religious notions of European immigrants, African Americans, and Native Americans as they relate to witches and witchcraft, as well as documented accusations of witchcraft, and assassinations of suspected witches.  Of particular interest, Davies writes about laws dealing with witchcraft.

A particular English common law statute from 1604 prescribed the death penalty for the practice of witchcraft and conjuration.  This law was also adopted within the colonies.  Although the law was repealed in England in 1736, it remained in force in America well after the Revolution and even after the Constitution had been ratified.  In rural areas especially, justices of the peace continued to practice from outdated law books.  In other instances, the law simply wasn't repealed due to negligence.

For example, Davies recounts the story of one couple from Cumberland County in Massachussetts, now modern-day Maine, who were accused and brought to court in 1787.  The judge had to inform the jury that, "Regrettably, the old statute aginst witchcraft [1604 death penalty law for witchcraft and conjuration] remained unrepealed and was therefore still in force."

A suspected witch was assualted by a mob in the County of York (modern Maine) in 1796.

A reporter for the New Bedford Mercury Northern Tribune writing in 1847 expressed his astonishment that anybody in America could still believe in witchcraft in the present day and age.  He referenced a witchcraft court case that had occurred in Maine a few years earlier (Quentin's case, perhaps?) as the source of his surprise.

The latest witchcraft case the author mentions occurred in 1950 in Connecticut.

Most witchcraft cases were dismissed, or the charges was converted to nuisance/fraud (as in the 1950 Connecticut matter).  Interestingly, revised laws post-1736 targeted self-proclaimed practitioners claiming to tell the future or cure or curse through magic. (e.g., If Quentin were to boast that he was a warlock and had used a spell to kill Mordecai Grimes's cattle, he could be brought before the court as a humbug, but Mordecai would have no legal grounds for accusing Quentin of witchery.

In light of the anecdotes in this highly informative book, it seems more plausible that Vicki and Quentin could have been brought to trial for witchcraft (though it's still far-fetched that they would face judicial execution). I wonder if the DS writers were aware of the history of post-colonial witchcraft trials in Maine, or if they were just flying by the seat of their pants and got lucky.

Happy Halloween!

ProfStokes

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: America Bewitched: 1795 and 1840 Not so Far-Fetched?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 12:43:18 AM »
Oh.   Okay, not so far-fetched.   I'm sure writers from NYC, say, would think some places in the US could get caught up in witchcraft hysteria, and make use of those antiquated laws.  The country was regarded as some backward other world, almost as if it was another planet.  I'm thinking now of the Beverly Hillbillies, and that I Dream of Jeannie episode where the astronauts crash in a rural town....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 01:32:54 AM »
Well if execution was out of the question, what would have been a reasonable punishment?

Did they have chain gangs for witches and warlocks?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:24:41 AM »
Well if execution was out of the question, what would have been a reasonable punishment?

Good point....

[bat7628] [bat7628] [bat7628]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Online ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 08:43:58 PM »

The revised law of 1736 advised the pillory and/or a fine.

ProfStokes 

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »
Yeah, I would love to see an 18th century try to charge Angelique with a fine....

"For turning your father-in-law into a cat, and making his brother and your mistress fall in love, I order you to pay a fine of 100 dollars plus..." Poof....in the judge's place is a black cat.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 12:08:06 PM »
very interesting prof. thanks...

and i'm very pleased to see you posting again. the board has missed you. [hall2_smiley]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »
This is slightly off topic since it deals with vampires instead of witches, but Exeter RI had a vampire scare in 1892. http://strangene.com/cemeteries/vampire.htm
 The incident also highlights the vast differences between rural and urban areas. About 20 miles away, you had modern Providence, RI. When I researched this years ago, it was not made clear whether Providence had electricity or phone service. If they didn't, these modern marvels were less than a decade away (depends on who I spoke to). When the Providence Journal reported the story, the residents were mortified, to say the least. In fact, the incident led to a law requiring a medical examiner to certifythat a body was dead before it could be buried. Just to highlight how relatively recent this incident was, I spoke to a man whose father was living in Exeter at the time. He tried to downplay the whole thing, claiming that it was just a few "hooligans" who got carried away.