Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0552  (Read 1170 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0552
« on: May 27, 2008, 05:17:34 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0552
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 06:43:39 AM »
Is it me, or were Barnabas's lips unusually pink today?

Barnabas has figured out Adam correctly: Adam has learned to reason, but he has not learned to understand.  It wouldn't have hurt Adam to listen to what Dr. Hoffman had to say, and to ask her a few questions about how she had managed to bring him to life even though Dr. Lang wasn't around.  Even if Julia lied, Adam might be able to learn something - but he's too busy nursing his grievance to listen to anybody who says something he doesn't want to hear.

I wonder if Vicky had a sense of déja vu today when Jeff threw his fit over her going over to the Old House.  It's exactly the sort of thing that Burke would have done.  Did it make her feel all warm and fuzzy to know that she had once again chosen a jerk?

I liked the pause in the action after Vicky left the Old House, when Barnabas looked at the moon for a second or two before going in.  It felt right.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 06:38:16 PM »
Did it make her feel all warm and fuzzy to know that she had once again chosen a jerk?

Probably. She certainly seemed to be attracted to that type.  ::)  [wink2]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:10:10 AM »
true that both burke and jeff were domineering "jerks" where vicki was concerned but lest we forget that in terms of barnabas they were both actually also 100% right.

burke had strong objections about vicki spending alot of time around the old house and barnabas...and there was a coffin with her name on it sitting in the basement!

once jeff entered the picture barnabas no longer posed the sort of eminent threat he once did to vicki but he was perhaps right in that he'd prefer his girlfriend not spend too much time with a jilted ex-fiance who obviously still had designs on her.

on vicki's end it was just "friendship" with barnabas but we know that he didn't return that sentiment.vicki did indeed date jerks-all-around but they were right on this point.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 02:38:19 AM »
All true. But let's not also forget that both Burke and Jeff were "jerks" above and beyond their feelings about Barnabas. And, yes - both were products of their times and the fact that men created/wrote them. But OMG, no other woman, certainly no woman in her right mind, should have put up with half of the attitudes, mostly in the case of Burke, and the bizarre behavior, mostly in the case of Jeff, that Vicki seemed perfectly willing to accept with little to no argument. The times she seemed to get a backbone were almost exclusively when the story dictated that she stand up for Barnabas. Otherwise it was mostly and sadly that she practically got down on the floor for them to walk all over her. Some days I half expected to see shoe prints on her clothes and face...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 01:58:02 AM »
shoeprints on an ohrbach's sleeveless???

love it!

again both burke and jeff were bossy,domineering jerks but in a strange way i think that they were supposed to represent 'us' the viewer in that they knew the score with barnabas and vicki,as we the viewer did,where as everyone else on the show including vicki persisited with the ridiculous notion that barnabas was just a kindly older gentlman who saw her as a "friend" and couldn't possibly have other motives in mind.

at numerous points they were right that barnabas did indeed pose a serious threat.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 04:00:38 AM »
Sorry for just discussing viewings from months ago now, but while Clark gets frustrated and ready to explode too easily, I don't remember the domineering, not as a regular trait as opposed to a brief irrational outburst now and then.    He's annoying and unimaginative, that's my thing against him.    I remember [spoiler]that soon, he'll be telling Vicki what to do or not do without explanation, but just because he's not allowed to give away Adam's threat, and why he's over at the Old House so much.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:22:28 AM »
I agree with many here in my feelings about Adam in this episode. I think he was obnoxious and unwilling to listen to reason. He's turned from a character I love to a character I hate[ghost_mad] It was pretty neat, though, to watch Barnabas and Willie react surprisingly to the way Adam was speaking. [ghost_smiley] It's too bad Adam didn't trust Barnabas.  [ghost_nowink]

I think it was only natural that Jeff would have reservations about Vicki's wanting to talk to Barnabas about their engagement. Jeff knew that Barnabas loved her, so he was naturally jealous. [ghost_angry]

That was a pretty scary moment when Vicki and Adam met. [ghost_shocked] Instead of fainting, I probably would have yelled at the sight of him. Maybe Vicki fainted because Adam had his huge hand over her mouth and nose, which prevented her from breathing. That's the way it looked to me, anyway.  [ghost_wink]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 06:27:37 PM »
Why didn't Barnabas walk Vickie back to Collinwood. He knew that Adam was out there. What happened to the gallant gentleman. We all knew something like this was going to happen.

I guess that with Barnabas not every having to raise a child or an angry teenager, maybe that is better, he didn't realize that Adam would have done something like he did.

Adam did realize that he was big and powerful.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 11:14:31 PM »
Barnabas probably figured Vicki wouldn't be in any real danger since Adam up to this point had no knowledge of their relationship. Once Adam saw him kissing Vicki outside the window and Adam realized she was someone Barnabas cared for, and thusly, someone he could use to get what he wants.

Even though Barnabas loved Vicki, she wasn't in love with him, but of course Adam had no way of knowing that.

This is the episode where I started to dislike Adam. No matter how much I tell myself that Nicholas twisted his mind, I still don't like seeing Adam hurt innocent people who never did one single solitary thing to hurt him. He has indeed become impossible to reason with.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 08:05:30 PM »
Adam is behaving as a spoiled child that took anyway the others toys so no one can play with it. Not that Vickie is a toy. Many people believe that they can tell her what to do.

I one of these episodes Roger said that he didn't understand. Maybe Vickie is influencing him.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate