Author Topic: 1795 photo of the Old House  (Read 960 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
1795 photo of the Old House
« on: September 11, 2010, 05:01:05 PM »
When Vicky first arrives in 1795, we are given a glimpse of the Old House as it was then.  It is all new and pink colored with flowers and in the daytime. 

was this the way that house actually looked or did they doctor the photo to make it look that way?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: 1795 photo of the Old House
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:16:29 AM »
I'm sure that just photographing it in the daytime did wonders by itself.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:54:51 AM »
Yeah, I don't think we ever got to see the house in the day for most of the rest of the run - unless I am forgetting something here.  (I believe there were a couple of times when they showed the ''1795'' images in the present.)  Other than that, unless I am drawing a blank, all of the other stills were either at sunset or at night.   

The house was beautiful.  It should have been rebuilt. 

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »
when i first watched this storyline and saw the first images of the old house i was like "pink? really?". it seemed a strange color to choose and i'm not sure how historically accurate it was.

i was always disappointed with how the set looked when the story returned to the present. before 1795 the old house drawing room was a wonderfully aged,rich looking brown. but when they try and make it look "old" again after the bright pink 1795 era it never looks right again. [ghost_sad]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 07:48:45 AM »
I know what you mean about the 1795 color staying after 1795, though it does give you a feeling of connection with 1795, as if all that really happened in the same present-day room.   That color's more "salmon" or something though, and it does seem of the time to me, not that I'm close to being an expert.   Actual pink would definitely have been over the top.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 11:23:17 PM »
this site has been posted on the Forum before--it gives very nice photos of the house, it had been vacant for nearly a decade when Curtis filmed it for the show.  White not pink.

http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/yasinsac/spratt/spratt.html

Today its hard to imagine this fine residence in the overgrown woods that are there now--
Julia99