Author Topic: e true hollywood story  (Read 4705 times)

Offline denise

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
e true hollywood story
« on: May 16, 2003, 02:54:42 AM »
Is there any likelyhood of Dark Shadows having their moment in the sun on this show?

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Re:e true hollywood story
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 04:29:59 AM »
Hi Denise....I don't know the answer to this one, but wouldn't it be one of the greatest weeks ever?

First would be Quentin "David Selby" Collins
Second would be Roger/Joshua/Edward "Louis Edmunds" Collins
Third would be Dr. Julia "Grayson Hall" Hoffman
Fourth would be Elizabeth/Naomi/Judith "Joan Bennet" Collins
And Fifth would be Barnabas "Jonathan Frid" Collins

[crowdhappy]

Yeah...this would make my week .
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 04:56:27 AM »
Hi Terry308,

I believe you're thinking about A&E's Biography which I believe is the better of the two.  E! True Hollywood Story is usually one night while A&E's Biography very often has a Theme for a week.  During the week leading up to Mother's Day they had Famous Mother's week.   In my opinion A&E's Biography is less tabloidish than E! True Hollywood Story.

I admit I like both shows but I would think that since A&E's Biography focuses less on the sensationlistic that those involved in Dark Shadows would prefer to be featured on that show.

Obviously, this is my opinion and others may believe that A&E's Biography is more sensationalistic that E! True Hollywood Story.

Murph

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 03:15:28 PM »
Has Joan Bennett ever been on it? she led an interesting life!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 05:44:54 PM »
they have not done JOAN BENNETT. the SCI-FI channel has already produced a BIOGRAPHY on DS for the now defunct SCIOGRAPHY program. it has never aired. it is said to be extremely SENSATIONAL and TABLOIDISH! an attempt to show it at the last festival resulted in star protest and the show was stopped.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 08:33:39 PM »
Hi, Denise i would love it if they did one on The
Q-man of course i'd be there sitting right next to
him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Love Anne  ;D ;D ;D ;D :P :P :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 10:21:42 PM »
they have not done JOAN BENNETT. the SCI-FI channel has already produced a BIOGRAPHY on DS for the now defunct SCIOGRAPHY program. it has never aired. it is said to be extremely SENSATIONAL and TABLOIDISH! an attempt to show it at the last festival resulted in star protest and the show was stopped.

it wasn't stopped but there were certainly protests and it was tabloidish to say the least.  i'm sure all viable copies have been burned by now.
 :-X
Julia99

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2003, 12:24:33 AM »
It makes you wonder what was going on behind the set that the actors dont want you to know. I'm thinkin that there were some affairs goin on!!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2003, 12:45:26 AM »
Just a friendly reminder, from the forum guidelines--

7.  These boards are not forums for the spreading of gossip or innuendo, or the slandering of the DS actors' private lives. Comment on their public behavior, whether it be a personal appearance or in the course of some other form of public exposure (i.e. a talk show, Fest appearance, etc.) is perfectly acceptable, however.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003, 02:18:56 AM »
Has Joan Bennett ever been on it? she led an interesting life!

There is a general dearth of biographical material be it TV or books about Bennett. I'm kind of surprised actually--there's not even been much on her sister, Constance Bennett, who also led a pretty interesting life and made her share of important films.

Closest I've seen was a Mysteries & Scandals segment on the Walter Wanger/Joan Bennett/Jennings Lang scandal (matter of public record--if you don't know about it, just go to Google and plug in those terms and you'll get the gist).

Closest I've read (other than the autobiography, which sadly doesn't cut it for me) is the Walter Wanger biography.

TCM has only aired a handful of her films (and I'm sorry, but Father of the Bride was really not that significant or good a picture). The print of Scarlet Street is in terrible condition and that's one of the major entries in the film noir canon.

It would be nice to see A&E do something on the Bennett sisters (Constance, Barbara and Joan). Barbara didn't have much of a film career, but she did work with some interesting people in dance and she was also Morton Downey, Jr.'s mother. And as I said, both Constance and Joan made their mark in cinema.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2003, 02:25:02 PM »
Sorry...get Biography and E! The Real Hollywood Story mixed up.  But...I'll take either one of them.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2003, 03:35:47 PM »
I woudl love to see a Biography on anyone of the series stars.  I find Biography to be a very interesting and as someone else stated not sensationalized.  On the Biography channel last week they did somthing on what they called "clut" TV stars.  I caught a few minutes of it.  They were doing Little House on the Parie.  I never thought of that as cult.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2003, 06:41:15 PM »
I would like to see Dark Shadows and it's stars featured on Biography but only with the cooperation of the people involved with the show and only if it was allowed to present an accurate picture, warts and all.  When I say that I don't mean delving into the peronal lives of the stars, but everyone has their likes, dislikes, idiosyncrasies, egos, opinions, etc.   At least in my opinion it would be facinating to watch a true depiction of what everyone thought about the show, the cast and crew, the different story lines, the writing and all the rest.

I believe that this could be done without being sensationalistic, tabloidish and the like, which apparantly  the video that aired at the last years Festival was.  I wasn't there so I did not see it.

I believe it would be a disservice to the fans and the show if the Biography painted a totally rosy picture of life on the Dark Shadows set where everyone always gets along with everyone else, is in total agreement with one another and the different directions the show took. The only place that happens is Utopia, at least here on earth anyway.

I would have no interest in viewing the Biography if it didn't go any deeper than say the articles of 16 and Tiger Beat magazines that my sisters loved to read when they were teenagers.

I'm sure these are things those involved with the show have to ponder.  After all these years do they want to take a realistic look at what happened for almost five years on that set and share it with their fans or do they want to let it rest and leave well enough alone?

I'm quite sure the Biography channel would be interested if those involved with the show are.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Thanks,

Murph

Connie

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2003, 01:00:59 PM »
FOUND THIS......

Well, that's about it.  Love you all (well, MOST of ya).  LOL!

-Connie

[winkg]

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2003, 01:32:47 PM »
Wow Connie inside the mind of RD very funny!!!
and Murph agree with what you said! People love to hear the trash though! look at The Three's company and Gilligan's
Island stories. would love to see them without the stars trashing each other! I guess trash sells though because
why else do people care what a long dead President did
with an intern! guess i like fantasy better because i could care less!

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV