Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0383  (Read 2053 times)

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0383
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 07:59:48 AM »
Could that have been what our extra walled-up staircase was, in the 1940s house my family lived in in the early 70s (which I ran home from school to to watch DS)?   It never occurred to me till now, mainly because it doesn't seem a big enough place for servants, but it went directly from the kitchen to the upstairs corridor.  You could only get a glimpse of it if you stood on something and looked through an outside window.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »
MT, that sounds fantastic! I'm even more jealous of you!

Interesting ideas, Gothick! I suspect that they would also have had a butler and a footman or two. [spoiler]In the last episode of all, in parallel 1840, we meet "Harris, the second footman"![/spoiler]

Ben tells Angelique that he knows all the horses' names, so I imagine he took care of them as well as chopping firewood and carrying buckets of water from the springhouse to the kitchen and any other kind of heavy work that needed to be done. [spoiler]Soon we will learn that he can make simple dolls and knows at least basic carpentry. [/spoiler]

We know that Jeremiah and Josette had their own horses. Barnabas and Joshua would have as well. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the countess was an expert horsewoman, but I can't imagine either Naomi or Abigail riding. Maybe Naomi did as a girl, but once she was married Joshua probably insisted that the Mistress of Collinwood should travel only by carriage.

Too bad we never see Cook, I agree. I'll bet the bad food at Collinwood was also a long-time tradition.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 05:10:17 PM »
I should also have mentioned that Sarah probably had a pony. I'll bet Ben taught her how to ride.

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 05:29:21 AM »
Ben tells Angelique that he knows all the horses' names

"Ah kin tell ya all their names, if ya want!"  Funny line.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 04:19:47 AM »
There is an afghan on the the bed in the inn. It seems to be the go to accessory in decorating. It is hard to believe that someone in town had not seen the newlyweds and told someone at the Collins work. The town could not have been that big in those days for everyone not to know what goes on at the home of the town founders.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times