Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0910  (Read 501 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0910
« on: March 25, 2015, 04:20:36 AM »
Robservations #910

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0910

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 04:35:13 AM »
Thayer VO in Thayer's own voice, that he should have used for Q-in-Petofi.  Stokes has long hair, which he slicks back to the back of his head.  Professor Osmond risks life and limb by appearing onscreen (copyright DL).  Tate dead ten years? 

Quentin is comfortable enough with himself that the old irony and relaxed self-assurance is there even when he has no idea who he is.  Wait, maybe the self-assurance is new.  In 1897 he always seemed agitated?  Comes from 70 years of life and immortality I suppose.   Anyway, it's strange that he can be so comfortable in his own skin not knowing who he is.

The portrait under the landscape was Amanda's, even though it wasn't big enough to be that painting.  Julia takes Q to his old Collinwood bedroom.  Only the anteroom though.  That used to be full of packing crates or boxes.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 07:14:22 PM »
LOL, MT! Professor Osmund (played by Ronald Dawson) preserves his life by making only this one appearance on the show. He joins the legion of DS survivors, who include Dr. Reeves and Portia Fitzsimmons.  [snow_happy]

Julia tries to get information from Elizabeth about the little girl whom Paul kept seeing, but the more she tries, the colder the temperature around Elizabeth gets. Chris arrives with the painting Julia bought at the antique shop and an envelope. Although she is a cult zombie, Elizabeth is still the epitome of correct and gracious behavior, and leaves to give the other two privacy, but Julia wants to finish their conversation later. (The painting that Chris arrives with is actually not the one that Julia bought at the antique shop, but a second one that she will find in the next episode!)

Chris reports, The lab technician at the hospital did what we wanted. It’s more important than ever, Julia says and fills him in on how “Grant” left with Olivia Corey. She must know or suspect he’s really Quentin Collins, Julia declares. Julia too has had her painting x-rayed. When they look at the film, both she and Chris can see it has a portrait beneath it. They wonder whose portrait it is. Julia says it’s not Quentin, because that was a larger canvas. Chris points out that a canvas can be cut down. They talk about Olivia’s interest in discovering whose portrait it is. Chris says that Mr. Nakamura took a color photo of the painting--and now Chris surmises Olivia is planning to have it copied and switch the copy with Julia’s. They have to discover whose portrait is under the landscape. Julia says there’s only one man to ask.

Naturally Stokes (who seems to know everyone) knows the expert restorer Professor Osmund.

Quentin asks Olivia about her own life. She tells him she began as a dancer and a singer. For a moment, Quentin remembers a song. He struggles to capture the memory, but it has vanished. Julia arrives to speak to Olivia alone. Quentin obligingly goes to the back room. (LOL!) With her usual directness Julia asks Olivia, Why have you brought “Grant” here? Olivia says she has a reason but won’t reveal it now. She tries to show that Julia’s theory about Grant = Quentin must be false, since Grant doesn’t look ninety-nine years old. We both have the same goal, Julia says, brushing aside Olivia’s attempt to throw her off the track. I suggest we cooperate. Olivia agrees to a truce, at least for now.

According to Professor Osmund, Charles Delaware Tate died ten years ago.

Quentin emerges from the back room to hear how the two women have decided his fate (another stereotype stood on its head!). Olivia tells him, We will work together to help you regain your memory. Dr. Hoffman will tell you how. She says goodnight and leaves. Julia tells Quentin, I’m going to take him to Collinwood to try the association method. I’m pretty sure I didn’t live a hundred years ago, Quentin says lightly. It’s somewhere to start, Julia replies. I have no other choice, Quentin replies. He gets his nice blue topcoat and leaves with Julia.

Working in deep concentration, Professor Osmund has applied a liquid solvent to a corner of the landscape while Chris and Stokes watch in suspense. To pass the time while they wait, Chris asks Stokes about the handwriting samples. Osmund turns to give them a slightly annoyed look. They take the hint and move off toward the desk so as not to distract him. The similarity between the two samples is astounding, Stokes tells Chris. It’s impossible to believe they weren’t written by the same person. But can you ask Julia if I can keep them a day or two longer. I want be absolutely certain before I announce my decision.

Julia and Quentin arrive at Collinwood. Very impressive, Quentin observes as he looks around. I wouldn’t mind being a Collins--but nothing rings a bell. He spots Barnabas’s portrait. This was the man who visited me at the hospital! he says. It’s not the same man, Julia corrects him---it’s one of his ancestors. Even now her loyalty is steadfast and undiminished! She takes Quentin upstairs.

Professor Osmund has continued removing the landscape. Now holds the canvas up for Stokes and Chris to take a look. Julia will never believe this, Chris says in astonishment. Why not? Stokes asks calmly. She knew there was a portrait under the landscape. The subject is going to be a shock, Chris replies--it is Olivia Corey herself. We can see that most of the landscape has been removed, and Olivia/Amanda’s face is clearly visible.

Julia has brought “Grant” to Quentin’s old room in the West Wing. [spoiler](Of course the children have long since removed the skeleton of Gregory Trask--if Tim didn’t bury him first. I made a note about this at the end of ep. 911.)[/spoiler] The morning-glory bell of the gramophone is now darkened with age, and the room is festooned with cobwebs. Obediently Quentin looks around again, but has to admit, I don’t recognize anything about the room or this house. Julia says, There’s one more thing we can do. She tells “Grant” to sit down and says, We will know whether or not you are Quentin Collins in a moment. She switches on the gramophone. As Quentin’s Theme begins to play, “Grant” leans forward to listen better--but it seems he remembers nothing........