Author Topic: Fifty years ago  (Read 532 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Fifty years ago
« on: April 02, 2021, 04:21:07 PM »
Greetings, fans,

I still remember this day 50 years ago today... this year, April 2 is again a Friday.

Back then, each day I kept waiting for the story to go back to 1971 so we could see what Barnabas and Julia were doing. But when Thayer's fateful voiceover came on at the end of the episode, I knew it really was the end.

Five years later, the series started running in syndication in my local market (on a Philly based station, in point of fact) and it was a new beginning, particularly since I had never seen any of 1967. I'd started watching in late June of '68.

And this morning, I watched Dark Shadows again--currently viewing the 1966/67 Laura storyline.

Remembering,

Gothick

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Fifty years ago
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 04:31:18 PM »
I actually cried on that fateful day.  At 3:30 p.m., CST, a world disappeared.

Gerard

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
50 Years Ago Today
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 06:22:33 PM »
50 years ago today, Friday, April 2, 1971, DARK SHADOWS aired its final episode.

I remember that day well—the disappointment that my favorite show was ending.  But here we are 50 years later, still watching and celebrating one of television’s most unique daytime dramas.

Thanks to the cast, crew and fans for helping to keep DS alive.

Brian

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 50 Years Ago Today
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 05:17:24 AM »
I remember that day very well, too, Brian. I was ready with my tape recorder to record the audio, even though I was hoping all the news was wrong and DS would still continue. But the conclusion of the episode sounded quite final, alas. After it was over, my cousin rushed over from across the street: "Is it really the end?!?"

The next Monday, I was still hanging on to crazy hope and tuned in, only to be insulted by seeing Password in the hallowed timeslot. I had always liked that show before, but for a while after this I had difficulty warming up to it...

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 02:20:28 PM »
I recorded the last 4 shows on my cassette recorder and listened to that tape for many years until the VHS tapes were released.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 09:52:20 PM »
The next Monday, I was still hanging on to crazy hope and tuned in, only to be insulted by seeing Password in the hallowed timeslot.

I see where it's returning again:

"* NBC has ordered a revival of the 1960s game show Password from Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon"

I wonder whose beloved show it might replace this time around?

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Fifty years ago
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 02:48:11 AM »
I also tuned in Monday hoping it was a mistake, but there was Password and my Mom who was in between jobs at the time instantly fell in love with it.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times