Author Topic: Movies of Interest Today on TCM - DS Connections  (Read 801 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Movies of Interest Today on TCM - DS Connections
« on: August 30, 2005, 07:50:17 AM »
I was just glancing at Turner Classic Movies' schedule for today, Tuesday, August 30, and noticed at least three movies on today with some "Dark Shadows" connections (well, I may be stretching a bit).   ^-^

Note:  I'll give the times as Eastern, since that's TCM's default.  Adjust to your own time zone.

10:30 a.m.  The elegant, classy Jean Simmons (of the 1991 DS revival series) stars in "Young Bess," along with the incomparable Charles Laughton.

2:15 p.m.  Grayson Hall in Tennessee Williams' "The Night of the Iguana," with Richard Burton and Deborah Kerr.

4:15 a.m.  "Eye of the Devil" with Deborah Kerr.  The governess of "The Innocents" tangles with a pagan enclave in southern France.

Now, if only we could get TCM to show some Joan Bennett movies - how about "The Reckless Moment," "Scarlet Street," and "Woman in the Window" for starters?  Apparently they showed two Constance Bennett movies earlier today (I mean yesterday, Monday, but I haven't been to bed yet, so it's still today ...  ::) )

I was going through some old theatrical photos today and came across one of Joan Bennett starring in the Broadway touring production of "Bell, Book, and Candle," which deals with witchcraft (lightheartedly, I believe, but I haven't seen it for myself - something along the lines of "Bewitched," perhaps).  Bennett looked quite stunning in the photo.  I forget who had the role originally on Broadway, but Kim Novak got the part in the movie version.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Movies of Interest Today on TCM - DS Connections
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 04:56:32 PM »
Thanks for posting these.  Golly, I would have loved to have seen Joan in Bell, Book, and Candle.  I wonder whether she played the lead, or one of the supporting roles?  I seem to recall that the character played by Hermione Gingold in the movie does not appear on stage in the play.

In the old days, those touring companies were known as "bus and truck" tours--the actors on the bus, the scenery and such on a truck--and Joan says in her autobiography that the actors themselves used to call them "buck and truss" because of the stiff muscles and sore backs everyone had to deal with in those long hours on the bus!

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Movies of Interest Today on TCM - DS Connections
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 09:18:48 PM »
Golly, I would have loved to have seen Joan in Bell, Book, and Candle.  I wonder whether she played the lead, or one of the supporting roles?  I seem to recall that the character played by Hermione Gingold in the movie does not appear on stage in the play.

Same here, but unfortunately, we weren't born yet.  ;)  She played the lead, following Roz Russell.