Author Topic: Vampire Documentary  (Read 1210 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Vampire Documentary
« on: October 24, 2006, 08:06:16 PM »
Did anyone else see the 2 hour vampire documentary last night (for the life of me I don't remember if it was on the Biography Channel or what)?  It was more or less a history of vampires in general - from ancient folklore to some very unusual modern day folk who (for whatever reasons) feel they are actually vampires.  Anyway, when they were going over the history of vampires and how perceptions of them have changed through time, they finally did a quick mention of DS. I was just about to give up on them bringing the show up at all when one person being interviewed not only mentioned it but, said it was a pivitol point during the 1960's when the role of the vampire was beginning to swing toward being the hero with shades of gray rather than the B&W villian he had always been portrayed as before. They also used a bit of footage from the show and HOD's.  It wasn't bad but, IMO - there was a bit too much about current mental cases who drink human blood and try to suck the life force out of their "victims" vs the folklore.  I think they could have elaborated a bit more on the influence of DS and Barnabas' character - which, in the context of that history, was really not insignificant. 
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re: Vampire Documentary
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 08:14:46 PM »
I'm not a hundred percent positive, but I think that's the show that featured my friend Terry Bane, whose vampire "encyclopedia,"  The Actual, Factual Dracula, is coming out in the spring. I wrote the introduction for it. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for the show to come on again, as I still haven't seen it.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 12:47:04 PM »
There were several authors on the show.  I can't recall the names of all of them but, one was Katherine Ramsland who wrote (or co-wrote), "The Vampire Companion - Official Guide to Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles".  It's been so long since I read those books I thought that might be an interesting one. 

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for the show to come on again, as I still haven't seen it.

The way they re-run things on cable I wouldn't be surprised if it popped up again before the end of October.  If I see it announced I'll let you know.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 07:39:53 PM »
Will have to look for this, do you recall the title?
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 06:19:57 PM »
I didn't see it, but it sounds interesting. Too bad I missed it.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 09:57:59 PM »
It aired on the Biography Channel right after they did a show about Bela Lugosi. I didn't watch it though. Check Bio's web page. They may have a program guide. No doubt this show will air sometime this weekend or by Halloweeny anyway.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 04:19:31 AM »
It aired on the Biography Channel right after they did a show about Bela Lugosi. I didn't watch it though. Check Bio's web page. They may have a program guide. No doubt this show will air sometime this weekend or by Halloweeny anyway.

Thanks Janet.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"