Author Topic: ShadowGram #159 / merged w/ ShadowGram's Obituary for Craig...What is up here?  (Read 16528 times)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
shadowgram not mentioning craigs lover is not a shock to me. i cant recall any shadowgrams where the word gay is mentioned. shadowgram also refrains from reporting deaths from A.I.D.S. when joel crothers died it was reported as cancer. i cant remember for sure but i think the same was said about kieth prentice and chris bernaus deaths.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: ShadowGram #159 / merged w/ ShadowGram's Obituary for Craig...What is up her
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 09:32:59 PM »
Craig was very close to some actor's that appeared on DS maybe this didn't sit will with other people. we all know who they are.

I made this observation as well privately to John and Peter---
Julia99

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
Re: ShadowGram #159 / merged w/ ShadowGram's Obituary for Craig...What is up her
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 09:38:46 PM »
I can't believe that SG did not mention the core of his life...Joe Salvatore...
I'm sure ShadowGram was trying to not upset those fans who have different views, but how is the world to advance toward peace and acceptance if we continue to pander to those who disapprove of a lifestyle? Love is love, and anyone lucky enough to find it should celebrate it! I believe ShadowGram owes Joe an apology.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: ShadowGram's Obituary for Craig...What is up here?
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 09:39:44 PM »
Now people, we all know why Shadow gram didn't mention Craig's life partner don't we ?? If his life partner was just his "friend" she would have printed that wouldn't she?
It's unfortunate that we are even having this conversation in the first place, but I'd just like to point a few facts out here in case those reading this thread might think something is being made of nothing.

When Anthony George passed away, the online SG update included information from published obituaries, but failed to mention his male partner who was named. When Dana Elcar passed away, his survivors were mentioned, including a "beloved companion" of the opposite sex. Click on the gentlemen's names to see the notices.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 10:16:33 PM »
SG can mention that he befriended DS actors but not the fact that he left behind his soul mate and life partner - Joe Salvatore...
....The only way we can individually and collectively be catalysts for change is to speak up when there has been a wrong

But certain ppl in fandom, I *won't* mention names, but you know who they are, REFUSE to accept that homosexuality exists!
I was not at all surprised by the lack of taste in that SG obit for Craig.  Not only that, but she got the charity info wrong.

I find this whole thread in rather poor taste.  It seems a bit presumptuous to assume Mr. Hamrick would want himself turned into a political poster boy for gay rights on a Dark Shadows message board.

Thank YOU for making this board such a safe & diverse space!!!!

Safe for whom?  It would seem that Marcy Robin is being crucified here.  Just because she writes a tribute to a well-known DS fan in Shadowgram, and doesn't happen to mention who he shared his bed with, doesn't necessarily brand her as a homophobe.  Am I a bit slow or is that not what is being insinuated here?  If people have an issue like this with her, wouldn't it be more "tasteful" to take it up with her privately instead of smearing her name on a public forum?

Various posts keep mentioning these "people - we all know who they are."
Well, I don't know, and I bet a lot of members on here don't know either.  This is all rather disturbing.

Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
i cant remember for sure but i think the same was said about kieth prentice and chris bernaus deaths.

You are correct sir!
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 10:33:32 PM »
I find this whole thread in rather poor taste.  It seems a bit presumptuous to assume Mr. Hamrick would want himself turned into a political poster boy for gay rights on a Dark Shadows message board.

Um, did you even know Craig?  If you did, you'd know that he would most certainly be the FIRST one ringing in here that the omission of someone's life partner in an "obituary" just because said ppl were gay is the most egregiously WRONG thing to do!  I think, perhaps, you should excuse yourself from speaking for Craig since you obviously did not know him!   >:(
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
I neglected to mention Anna Shock was there last night.  Anna has been there for me in a way I hope to repay some day.  She was the first one to make me laugh about Craig and his funny spirit.  She drove all the way from NJ to Brooklyn to cheer Janet and I up on Monday.  Last night she drove to get Janet from NJ to Brooklyn, drove to NYC for the show...drove Janet home...and then headed home to NJ.  Because that is what friends do.  They band together in crisis.  The are not devisive or bitter or exclusionary.  Anna they way you have helped Peter and I and for that I am eternally grateful.  I love you Anna if you are out there. 
Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 10:44:32 PM »
SG is a public publication, and as such its policies can be a matter for public discussion. However, I do agree that the inference and innuendo that has appeared in a few posts shouldn't be going on and it should be refrained from in any future postings.

Thanks.  :)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 10:45:14 PM »
It would seem that Marcy Robin is being crucified here.  Just because she writes a tribute to a well-known DS fan in Shadowgram, and doesn't happen to mention who he shared his bed with, doesn't necessarily brand her as a homophobe.

You're the only one who mentioned her by name, and NO ONE said she was a homophobe.  So, not sure where you got that from.  [hdscrt]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Geeeeez, you only have to be mildly involved in DS fandom to know what a large gay following the show has.  My apparently naive impression was that Dark Shadows fans tend to be a bit more enlightened and accepting.  And you don't even have to be extremely deep to understand the many reasons the show spoke to so many people (gay or straight) who felt disenfranchised at some point during their lives.  I'm very grateful to those who love this show for those very deep, personal reasons because let's face it folks - that's a really big part of the reason this show has survived 40 years to become the cult icon that it is.

And another thing I'd like to say - I think the fact that he worked and became genuine friends with many of the actors is wonderful and I couldn't be happier for him that he had the talent and opportunity to take him in that direction.  I'll bet they all felt just as fortunate to have had him in their lives as well!

“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 11:22:41 PM »
Let me second Buzz' emotion.  At the end of the day this is exactly the kind of conversation Craig would support.

Connie¢â‚¬¦Let me set another record straight...and I am in NO way speaking for Joe Salvatore.  I am speaking from my perspective¢â‚¬¦and since you are still reading this you must be interested din what I think.  By the way Connie Joe is Craig's Soulmate...and NOT JUST THE MAN HE "WHO HE SHARED HIS BED WITH".  Talk about poor taste you (cant type it because it will get deleted)¢â‚¬¦person.  Talk about an apology¢â‚¬¦let's start with yours.

Joe is a talented theater professional in his own right.  I mention this as a matter of course in that many of his works he has written and/or directed surround one central theme...HOMOPHOBIA...you need only check out his website created by his life partner Craig.  One of the last conversations Peter, Joe, Craig, and I had a few months ago talked about people finding their voice.  Making sure that people were respected...that the truth was told.  Joe wrote a piece called Transfigured which tells the true story of a homphobic hazing incident in Massachusetts at a prep school there.  Horrible right that something like that could happen.  They were kids...so perhaps they "didn't know better"...well people we are adults.  We should know better.

We are not protecting anyone from DS in 2006 from 40 years ago.

We are not protecting Middle America...because there are a bunch of "Mos'" in the hinterland.   In fact there are even some of my sisters of Sappho in California.  Perhaps they would have the courage to read this¢â‚¬¦maybe even to right this wrong and we could all move on.

Craig considered the SG publication an "outstanding paper and email newsletter"...so now is the time to be outstanding...and perhaps even outspoken.

Is this a crucifixion?...while I do like your flair for the dramatic...that is absolutely a gross exaggeration of what is going on here.  Like any letter to the Editor...people should know in a fair and balanced way how a person feels.  I couldn't send this directly to SG since I don't trust it would get printed accurately or completely.  I chose to post in a place where I felt safe and welcome.
Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
i remember the days when david was critisized and the disturbing thing was the ones critisizing him  were gay.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006, 11:42:18 PM »
SG is a public publication, and as such its policies can be a matter for public discussion. However, I do agree that the inference and innuendo that has appeared in a few posts shouldn't be going on and it should be refrained from in any future postings.

Thanks.  :)

Indeed. Let us all remember that we are all living on the same planet and that alot of us happen to enjoy a serial called, "Dark Shadows". This is not the place nor time to bring up political beliefs. We should be rejoicing in Craig's love for the program and his involvement. He made a difference, an everlasting one. I extend my condolences to Craig's partner and family, but Shadow Gram is a newsletter dedicated to DS.
Those of us that knew Craig will no doubt pay our respects in our own way. Okay? Everybody chill!!!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 11:55:03 PM »
How come I wrote a post quoting the NY Times about how the actoris who were in the original play "Boys In The Band"
died deleted? maybe because it stated and I will say it again NY Times that keith Prentice did die of Aids. Shadowgram says he died of Cancer now who do we believe Shadow gram or the NY TImes? and I know for a fact that so did Joel and Chris.

And I saw "Boys In The Band" with Craig when he first moved to NYC. I will speak only for myself here I knew Craig Hamrick very well. I loved him, most of alll I respected him. For the way he lived and died. He felt sad that men had to pretend to be something they weren't for the sake of there careers. He wrote about this in "Big Lou" He was told many stories about hidden love affairs. But those stories took place in the 60's. This is 2006 and you delete a post I wrote about someone being gay? Next time you are at a fest take a long look around you you meant see some gay people.