Author Topic: EW's List of Soaps Loved and Lost  (Read 918 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
EW's List of Soaps Loved and Lost
« on: February 12, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »
From December, 2009.  Better late than never?

13 Soap Operas We've Loved, Lost

I'll forgive Entertainment Weekly for its use of the c-word since they again used the photo of Liz, Roger and Vicki instead of a stock pic of Barnabas, and for the comparison to Lost, too.

[Hmm, I didn't know "DiNozzo" (Michael Weatherly) was on Loving.]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: EW's List of Soaps Loved and Lost
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 04:17:29 AM »
At one time or another I watched almost every one of those soaps. And in the case of several, for their entire runs.

EW definitely gets credit for not using a photo of Barnabas. And extra credit for using a fairly rare shot of Roger, Liz and Vicki.  [thumb]

[And oh yes, Michael Weatherly was excellent as Cooper Alden on Loving and when that soap morphed into The City.]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 04:50:55 AM »
I loved THE CITY and wish I had saved the premiere ep on VHS so now I could burn it to DVD.  So thankful they included our beloved DS! I am a huge A Spelling fan and don't really know why I didn't watch Sunset Beach.  I was probably to busy watching other stuff and being a teen! :)  The City was so stylish and like nothing I had ever seen on a soap.  I also started watching ATWT for NUKE but when they didn't renew Martha's (Lily)  contract I was pissed an quit.

As of today General Hospital is my guilty daytime pleasure that I have been watching since I was 16! I had always heard about Luke and Laura and tuned in for their fun filled, location shot, exciting return! I was hooked and still watch everday 16 years later!  Now since all the Spencers are back I am praying to the soap God's they bring Genie Francis back. She is a goddess to me!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 05:34:19 AM »
Glad to see EW mention DS and in a positive light. I give them credit as well for taking more time and effort to find another photograph representing Dark Shadows.

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 04:17:04 AM »
Thank heaven DS got a good mention!!!

But 35 years later, I'm also still mourning for RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE (1972-74).  This was one of the earliest "water-cooler buzz" soaps (aside from DS which was in its own category)--- The "Who Killed Benny Tate" storyline involving "Allison McKenzie" led to a prime-time special recap on  home network NBC which earned respectable ratings, a first for a daytime soap.

Dang, I wish there had been video recorders then, because this has never been released on VHS or DVD.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO