Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0687  (Read 1793 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0687
« on: December 02, 2008, 09:12:54 PM »

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0687
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:35:27 AM »
Lots of Briscoe-lip in this exciting episode. Any idea how many dates Carolyn and Chris had before she was willing to smooch him?   [santa_kiss] 

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 07:51:12 AM »
Sandor, as I remember it, Carolyn was the initiator.

We got a closing bookend today.  When Carolyn first met Chris several weeks ago, she went and looked at herself in the mirror by the front door, and seemed ready to initiate kissing immediately.  Tonight after Chris left, she again went and looked in the mirror by the front door, and I thought to myself: "Drat! Ned Stuart must be about to appear."  And sure enough he did, with no explanation for his resemblance to Jeff Clark.  It's very unsatisfactory.  There is no attempt whatsoever to make him look different from Jeff.  I guess Dan and Norma Curtis thought he was so perfect that they didn't want to touch a hair on his head.  Couldn't Ned at least have said that his Great-Grandmother Stuart's stepmother's maiden name was Clark?

I like Chris's 1am transformation.  I had been wondering why Chris never transformed during the day when the moon was full.  I'm unversed in astronomy, but I know I've seen the moon during the day on occasion, and I think it was full.  Or have I been dreaming?  Anyway, it didn't make sense for the transformation to be always a sunset to sunrise thing.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 04:29:16 AM »
The stormy background adds to the excitement of this episode.  I've always thought Chris and Carolyn were a good couple much better than any other she was involved with.   So Julia finally admits they are dealing with a ghost.   The break finally came to an end and he is back more horrible than ever.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 04:37:34 AM »
i haven't seen this episode in ages but wasn't carolyn sort of casual when she thought that ned stuart was jeff clark?

did carolyn know that jeff...and subsequently her "best friend" vicki...disappeared into thin air?i don't recall her having much reaction to that transpirance.

i don't know this as fact but my impression of the reappearance of roger davis as ned stuart so hot on the heels of jeff clark has always been that davis was under contract(two years seems to add up to his first and last appearances in his various guises)and they needed to find him something to do once the vicki character was gone and that storyline was over.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 10:54:45 AM »
did carolyn know that jeff...and subsequently her "best friend" vicki...disappeared into thin air?i don't recall her having much reaction to that transpirance.
I think she was away at the time because she was upset about Adam.  Maybe when she got home she was simply told that Jeff and Vicky had gone away because nobody had the nerve to tell her the incredible truth.

i don't know this as fact but my impression of the reappearance of roger davis as ned stuart so hot on the heels of jeff clark has always been that davis was under contract(two years seems to add up to his first and last appearances in his various guises)and they needed to find him something to do once the vicki character was gone and that storyline was over.
[spoiler]I suppose it was a little early for Peter Bradford to come looking for Jeb to carry out vengeance.[/spoiler]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 07:47:12 AM »
I have a theory. [ideag] Maybe when Peter came to 1968 as Jeff Clark, he was inhabiting the body of Ned Stuart. Then, when Jeff/Peter went back to 1796, Ned Stuart became Ned Stuart again. There's just one part of this that doesn't make sense though: the fact that he was Jeff Clark and he didn't use the name Ned Stuart. Maybe when Peter's ghost went into Ned's body, another name had to be used to differentiate him from Ned.  [santa_huh]

I love it when spirits make themselves known to just one person. Then, when someone else comes, there is no evidence of the spirit. In a way, it's rather humorous.  [santa_grin]

It was fun to watch Chris and Carolyn kissing so passionately and talk about marriage. [love3] I agree that Chris was the best match for Carolyn. It's too bad Chris was cursed to be a werewolf. [santa_cry]

I agree that Don Briscoe acted very well in the transformation scenes. [clap2] He was really good at expressing pain. I loved it when he was doubled over the back of the chair - so melodramatic. I'm glad Chris was able to reach Barnabas and they were able to go to the Mausoleum just in time. [whew] (I wonder when Barnabas learned how to drive?) [santa_wink]

I know lots of people here don't like Roger Davis, but I do. I'm glad he came back. [santa_smiley]

----- Sally -----
[santa_cool]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 06:12:47 PM »
Does Chris ever smile as much as he does when he's on dates with Carolyn?  It's so sweet to see the character grinning and looking carefree.

And Carolyn wears the same dress in this ep that's she wearing in the quotes capture from #902 that's currently on the home page.

I had been wondering why Chris never transformed during the day when the moon was full.  I'm unversed in astronomy, but I know I've seen the moon during the day on occasion, and I think it was full.  Or have I been dreaming?  Anyway, it didn't make sense for the transformation to be always a sunset to sunrise thing.

I'm not all that hot at astronomy either, but it's my understanding that the moon is completely opposite the Sun at around the time of the full moon, and is closest to it during the new moon (which is why its eclipses occur during the New Moon Phase).  So, during the time of a werewolf's regular transformation, the moon is rising above the horizon as the sun is setting and therefore the actual full moon isn't in view in the daytime sky.  Or something.

Ned is SO obnoxious that he apologizes to Carolyn for startling her with his resemblance, but not once says he's sorry for knocking on the freakin' door at that freakin' hour of the night!

I have a theory. [ideag] Maybe when Peter came to 1968 as Jeff Clark, he was inhabiting the body of Ned Stuart. Then, when Jeff/Peter went back to 1796, Ned Stuart became Ned Stuart again. There's just one part of this that doesn't make sense though: the fact that he was Jeff Clark and he didn't use the name Ned Stuart. Maybe when Peter's ghost went into Ned's body, another name had to be used to differentiate him from Ned.  [santa_huh]

Unfortunately, Jeff said he inhabited the body of a man named Jeff Clark, which implies that there's a real Jeff in this time period.  But again unfortunately, with that scenario it made no sense for Jeff's body to disappear with Peter when the latter returned to the past, or for that matter for Peter's grave to be empty.  AAA, none of it makes sense!!!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 11:59:47 PM »
Was Roger Davis popular with the audience at the time? I remember his picture appearing in fan magazines so he must have appealed to people at the time.  Even as a child I did not care for any of his characters and it's worse now because his acting and mannerisms are distracting.  [spoiler]Although it worked well when he lplayed the tate dummy[/spoiler]
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 12:47:12 AM »
I suppose we always have to factor in the possibility that a character may just not know what he's talking about.   Some speak very authoritatively, like Stokes, but they're wrong sometimes, too.   It's a bit "hypnotizing", hearing a character state something as fact on-camera.   It gives the impression that it's the show's position.   If this were real life, we wouldn't just trust completely what this or that person says, and maybe that's how we ought to treat all this.

Clark was mostly in the dark about his nature and past, so up through the disappearance, he can get things wrong, even if he sounds sure.   Stokes talked about another Jeff Clark, but he guesses his ass off.... Every time anyone refers to "another Jeff Clark", it could mean except in name.  It could just be a way to refer to him, since they can't be sure of what his actual name would be.

This is magic, not science-fiction, and while magic should follow some rules, we seldom know what the rules are.   It's possible that as Bradford's spirit retreats into the past, Ned's life is no longer suspended, and he reappears wherever he left off when Clark took over.

I'll add that once Bradfordclark disappears, he in fact now has never reached 1968 or 1967 in the first place, since he returns to when he was alive (wasn't he supposed to have gone to the future after death as a spirit?), and then doesn't die the same way.   (Let's avoid discussing that altered manner of death.)   So Ned's life might not necessarily have any lost time in it while his body was hijacked.    Maybe Ned's body renamed "Jeff Clark" never happened anymore.     
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 01:03:12 AM »
If Peter's spirit "hijacked" a present-day body, why didn't his coffin contain a corpse?  Unless Roger was right about graverobbers stealing it, snort.  Cuz wouldn't that have been a rude surprise when Peter returned to his own time?!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 01:29:16 AM »
Good point, Midnite.  Curses, foiled again!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 05:06:32 AM »
Oh, it's a mess, Magnus.  I bow to your effort.   [9050]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 05:46:25 AM »
Roger Davis was apparently a favorite of Dan Curtis', that's why he kept coming back.

Some of Roger's characters I liked better than others. I can't stand Ned Stuart with a passion.

I did like how Carolyn, Barnabas and Julia were taken aback by Ned's resemblance to Jeff Clark. I agree that it was rude of Ned to be calling at such a late hour up at Collinwood and not apologize.

The scenes between Chris and Carolyn are very sweet indeed. Unfortunately the odds were just stacked against them.