Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0813  (Read 1435 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0813
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:32:56 PM »

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0813
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 11:22:04 AM »
Major Milestones: [milestone]
1. Jamison/Petofi told Aristede that he only had hours left to live.
2. Nora tried to open the box, but it was locked. It was the first time that the box was locked when someone tried to open it.
3. Jamison/Petofi kept Tim occupied downstairs while Aristede tried to find out from Amanda where the Hand was.
4. Jamison/Petofi was able to figure out that Nora had the Hand by the slip that Tim made when he said he talked to her on the phone and by what Amanda told Aristede about the necklace.
5. Jamison/Petofi found the Hand!

This was a kinescope episode.

Major Bloopers:  [6184]
1. Jamison/Petofi to Aristede: "No, I don't think... you don't think it would be that easy, do you?"
2. Aristede to Jamison/Petofi: "Tim took the carton out of the hotel... out of the inn."
3. The music cue (Bum, Bum, Bummm) was off. It played before Aristede grabbed Amanda.

The dancing lady looks fake to me! It just looks like cardboard. [lghy]

I like Tim's hat. Very spiffy. [ghost_cheesy]

It was weird when Tim said, "They shall not find it." I would have said, "They will not find it." Strange way of speaking.  [ghost_wacko]

Nora sure didn't have the Hand for very long! It was just in the last episode that Tim gave it to her to hide. Things move rather quickly on DS!  [ghost_rolleyes]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Online Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 04:06:24 AM »
When Petofi told Aristide that convincing Amanda to spill the bans was more in Aristide's line of work than his, I thought he meant for Aristide to woo the information out of her, not threaten her with death if she didn't speak - though, come to think of it, that pretty much fits with Aristide's modus operandi as well. 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 10:27:53 PM »
*****This is the episode where Amanda gets slapped and knocked out.*****

Stroka's voiceover:  "...as one young man will soon learn, the night has a thousand eyes."
And now I can't get the Bobby Vee song out of my head.  Which is actually not a bad thing.

Nora, after Tim asks if she'll keep his secret:  "Cross my heart, I will."
Another song from Bobby Vee!  But I did a little research and learned that the first written reference to the oath "cross my heart (hope to die)" is from the early 1900s and it did not become a schoolground staple until later, so while most of us could relate when we heard Nora say it during the summer of '69, it is as anachronistic to 1897 as her Raggedy Ann doll.

Nora's gift was called a locket, but as we saw in the previous ep it's just an emerald pendant or some other green stone.

Nice job by Don Briscoe when his face showed his realization that something was not right about Jamison.

Aristede to Jamison/Petofi:  "The hand is within our reach again."
It's almost in our clutches?  The hand is within our grasp?  We nearly have a grip on it?  No matter how you say, I think it sounds silly.

Nora tried to open the box, but it was locked. It was the first time that the box was locked when someone tried to open it.

Was it locked?  Jamison/Petofi was able to open the latch without a key, so perhaps the hand prevented her from opening the box?

Tim's use of the word shall doesn't bother me since he's well versed in Latin and now sees himself in the role of a wealthy gentleman.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:51:00 AM »
*****This is the episode where Amanda gets slapped and knocked out.*****
[bigok] [clap] [clap2] [banana] [banana2] [hello] [laughing4]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 12:53:20 AM »
DB isn't comfortable with the period language.  The most awkward thing I ever heard come out of Tim's mouth was when he referred to Jamison as "the young whippersnapper".

Aristede to Jamison/Petofi:  "The hand is within our reach again."
It's almost in our clutches?  The hand is within our grasp?  We nearly have a grip on it?  No matter how you say, I think it sounds silly.

True.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 04:17:21 AM »
It was weird when Tim said, "They shall not find it." I would have said, "They will not find it." Strange way of speaking.  [ghost_wacko]

We have to realize that what may sound weird nowadays wouldn't have sounded at all weird in 1897. What Tim said was quite correct - and particularly in the situation he said it. Careful people once consistently used shall in the first person in forming the future and future perfect and will in the second and third person. However, those who did so would then normally reverse that procedure in emphatic statements. Tim was a teacher, and he was speaking emphatically, hence "They shall not find it."  [ghost_wink]

In other words:

I shall not find it. (simple future)     I will not find it. (emphatic)
You will not find it. (simple future)    You shall not find it. (emphatic)
They will not find it. (simple future)   They shall not find it. (emphatic)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 05:51:47 PM »
It seemed to me, though, that Don Briscoe was not aware of the grammar of what he was saying, because I think I remember noting that he did not speak emphatically when he said, "They shall".

I laughed when Nora said to Jamison, "Tim and Charity have never gotten along."  Gosh, I thought that wasn't supposed to happen until after they got married.  And it's additionally surprising that Nora said it because Tim did tell Nora that he had been talking to Charity before he came up to see her.  I figured that was a lie on Tim's part, because if Charity saw Tim she would call the police (and be told that her own father had given Tim an alibi!) but Nora seemed to believe Tim at the time.

I wish the hand had stayed in Nora's hands for longer.  It would have been fun to see what would happen.  Alternatively, it would have been funny if it turned out that Tim had pawned the hand in New York.

Very nice restaurant set when Jamison dropped in on Tim.  It reminded me of mscbryk's admiring post on The Bangor Pine.
the bangor pine!

I don't remember ever before finding Aristede as obnoxious as I do on this round of watching.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 04:06:00 AM »
Careful people once consistently used shall in the first person in forming the future and future perfect and...

I just copied and saved this, because for years I've wondered about will vs. shall.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor