Author Topic: The Collins' Fortune  (Read 2194 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: The Collins' Fortune
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 05:53:50 PM »
i agree with pansity that the presence of servants is "implied" rather than having the characters actually appear on screen.they frequently get mentioned in most time periods.

the exception would be the present where it is clearly established that liz dismissed the entire staff eighteen years earlier and since that time only matthew morgan,and later mrs.johnson,are the only servants in the house.

speaking of mrs.j. such is her devotion to the collins clan that it is easy to forget that she actually first came to collinwood to spy for burke devlin and help him bring down the family.

i remember once in 1795 some sort of hatted maid delivered a note to millicent.
in 1970pt there also is apprently a full staff.besides a maid(hoffman) and a butler(trask) there is talk of a cook,a gardener and several chambermaids.again these characters go unseen.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: The Collins' Fortune
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 06:05:05 PM »
I find it rather amusing that some nights the family is up ALL HOURS and this appears to be the norm, while other nights they are all in bed by 9:00! If the family kept such odd hours, imagine what the servants sleep patterns were like.

that is so true!

some nights these people are just up until near dawn.other times(especially liz)it's lights out at sundown.

perhaps because certain characters could only function at night they needed to maximize that time so you have some nights that stretch into a week's worth of episodes. ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.