Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1122  (Read 833 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1122
« on: January 04, 2011, 08:18:06 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1122
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:00:13 PM »
Barn re Gerard to Daphne: "You've heard the name."
Daffy: "Yes, but I've never heard it before!"   Smartass!   

Barnabas doesn't yet get one aspect of time travel, that Daphne really could have arrived at Collinwood by accident.   It wouldn't even be a coincidence, but just how things started.   Time doesn't "know" that Daphne will have significance to Collinwood in the future.   I'm not being very clear, sorry.   We as viewers are supposed to get this while Barnabas doesn't, though.... interesting.   With time travel, things like this happen.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:47:19 AM »
Barnabas should have bitten Daphne.  She's a sweet young thing, so it would have been pleasure as well as business for him.  Julia would have scolded him to high heaven, but since when has that consideration ever stopped Barnabas?

And Desmond should burn that Head, but I suppose if he does it will just come back anyway.  That's how such things work on Dark Shadows, until the writers decide it's time to move on.

I liked Barnabas's and Julia's conversation: all the jigsaw puzzle pieces are here, and now the drama begins.  They didn't accomplish anything in 1995, they couldn't stop anything from happening in 1970, and now they expect to do better in 1840.  Such optimism!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:27:58 AM »
Barnabas should have bitten Daphne. 

I liked Barnabas's and Julia's conversation: all the jigsaw puzzle pieces are here, and now the drama begins.  They didn't accomplish anything in 1995, they couldn't stop anything from happening in 1970, and now they expect to do better in 1840.  Such optimism!

Fear of discovery keeps Barnabas from biting, as well as the fact that you have to be a neutral observer at first, finding out what the story was before any meddling, before you can effectively make any changes.   I know Barnabas isn't much good at all this, but he tries.  If he makes Daphne a victim now, he may find out some things but changes (even more than he has already that is) things from that point on.   Daphne may be there by accident and may know no one at Collinwood, as far as he knows, and he'll have bitten for nothing, and have a victim complicating things.   He didn't bite Beth in 1897 until he was desperate for information.

As for Barnjulia's optimism... well, if this doesn't work out, they can always (somehow) keep jumping backward in time till it does!   Maybe that's the source of the optimism...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 09:35:32 AM »
Fear of discovery keeps Barnabas from biting, as well as the fact that you have to be a neutral observer at first, finding out what the story was before any meddling, before you can effectively make any changes.
Hmm...Maybe Barnabas was learning, then.  Because none of this came into play when he bit[spoiler]Charity Trask.[/spoiler]