Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1121  (Read 835 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1121
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:59:06 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1121
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:50:43 AM »
Surprised that Barnabas and Lamar are so ready to discuss their histories in the presence of Ben's body.   People on TV have personal conversations during funerals in general.   Shouldn't you just sort of shut up and pay your respects?

"Goin' to Trask Chapel, and I'm... gonna get buried...."

If ever there was an excuse to break wall four and have Quentin #1 actually SAY "Bum bum BUM!!!" as he makes his entrance, this was it!   Also, I very much wish that he had been drenched in sea water, and covered, and I mean covered, with seaweed.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:42:08 AM »
Lamar Trask got so excited by the Almighty that I started wondering why he became an undertaker.  Shouldn't he have followed in his father's footsteps and become a minister?  I thought: "Maybe he figured he could make a better living at undertaking," but I'm not sure that's the answer, because Trasks know how to make a good thing out of any career path.

We heard a very little about what must have been an incredible odyssey.  It starts with Quentin and Tad being washed off of their ship, and up to this point it has seemed quite possible that Gerard pushed them off, especially given how he laughed in private after retelling the story in public.  But Quentin still thinks of Gerard as his friend, and I imagine that there was no way for Gerard to be sure that Quentin would be more profitable to him dead than alive, so I suppose it must have been entirely by accident that Quentin and Tad were swept away.  It's astonishing that both of them survived.  And then there was the long trek home, with letters that never made it to Collinwood, and Quentin's attempt - successful, he had thought - to communicate psychically with Samantha.  I'm imagining Tad, decades hence, enthralling his grandchildren with the story.

There was a nice moment when Quentin and Samantha were conversing.  Quentin asked, "How's father?" and Samantha didn't respond, but rather asked, "What should I do?" because, apparently, she was too consumed with her own dilemma to think of anything else.

Barnabas and Quentin talked briefly about Barnabas's plan to restore the Old House, and I thought Barnabas must be getting awfully tired of restoring it.  He did it in 1967, he did it in 1897, and now he's doing it in 1840.  He's probably got the problem areas memorized by now.

Towards the end there was what I think must be a continuity error.  Barnabas recognized Quentin and was astonished to see him, and that was OK, but at the end of the same conversation, which I believe we heard from beginning to end, Barnabas knew that Samantha was going to Boston to see Tad even though nothing had been said about it.  Or did I miss something?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:36:54 PM »
One of my all-time favorite lines is in this ep - when Lamar says, "My father was an emissary of the Almighty, sent to strike the cloven hoof from this wretched village!" It's marvelous writing and Jerry Lacy surely must have relished being able to deliver such a meaty line because he does so brilliantly in his inimitable and patented Trask style. And I can't help but laugh every time I see and hear it because it so deliciously over the top and yet at the same time a perfectly serious and completely plausible moment in the ep. The fact that Lamar is so serious and convincingly committed is perhaps what makes it so amusing.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »
One of my all-time favorite lines is in this ep - when Lamar says, "My father was an emissary of the Almighty, sent to strike the cloven hoof from this wretched village!" It's marvelous writing and Jerry Lacy surely must have relished being able to deliver such a meaty line because he does so brilliantly in his inimitable and patented Trask style. And I can't help but laugh every time I see and hear it because it so deliciously over the top and yet at the same time a perfectly serious and completely plausible moment in the ep. The fact that Lamar is so serious and convincingly committed is perhaps what makes it so amusing.

I agree.  I'd love to be a Trask in a fan video someday!

Lydia, I always look at Lamar's being an undertaker as a clever sort of wink to the part of the audience who's been following the story all these years, the idea being that the perfect Reverend No-Name Trask disappeared without any "closure", so the son obsesses on this, on death, and on making sure death is a very concrete, controllable thing, which I guess it is at Trask Chapel.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:33:36 AM »
What an excellent, insightful analysis, Magnus!  I had also wondered why Lamar didn't stick to the family profession, especially since he becomes more and more like the Reverend Trasks in future episodes.  Your explanation makes the best sense yet.

ProfStokes