Author Topic: Do you remember the comercials that was on DS during the first run?  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Do you remember the comercials that was on DS during the first run?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 01:29:37 AM »
Since it aired a number of times during DS and the master tapes do have the commercials on them, I still don't understand why MPI hasn't give us this as an extra.  It would mean a lot to Grayson's fans.

Would that infringe on the copyright of the product manufacturer and the Ad Agency that produced the ad?  Assuming either entity is still in existence?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 01:34:00 AM »
That's a thought, but MPI has released ep one with commercials intact on VHS & DVD. (Thank goodness the 'commercialized' version is optional viewing on the DVD, because once you've seen it with the commercials it's a real annoyance with repeated viewings.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 01:39:16 AM »
One would presume MPI received clearance from whomever to include the commercials on the VHS and the DVD, but perhaps the ad agency or Playtex refuses to give permission to use Grayson's commercial? If so, that's a shame. Or perhaps MPI is simply holding it for a future DVD release. Perhaps "DS Stars' Commercial Treasures".  [wink2]

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 01:59:13 AM »
I don't remember the commericals from over 35 years ago except that they weren't as long as they are today.  I don't think it took 5+ minutes of commericals between scenes, which is time enough for you to pop popcorn.  Maybe you had time for a quick "relief" break before the next scene.

I'm glad the commericals were only included in the very first episode.  Very nostalgic.  I buy DVDs so I don't have commericals.  Thank you MPI for leaving them out.   [coolbrows]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 01:59:36 AM »
I wonder if all commercials even survive?  I know some episodes from different shows like Johnny Carson didn't survive hence they aren't available to release (I know, duh).

I don't remember the commercials aired during the original run of DS until I see them now being made available. Then I recall them.

Nancy

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 02:49:34 AM »
Winston tastes good like a cigarette should
No filter, no flavor, it tastes like toilet paper
No, no!  It's:
Winston tastes bad, like the one I just had.
No filter, no flavor, just cotton-pickin' paper.

And then there was:
Atlantic keeps your car on the slow!
In any kind of weather, it smells like burning leather!

But I don't associate any particular commercial with Dark Shadows.  I didn't watch them.  I just counted them, and waited for them to be finished.  I hear about episodes being shown now with the original commercials still there, and I think: "Why?"

Offline WidowsHill

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 09:54:42 AM »
'I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony...Coca Cola....'

Or was that early or mid-seventies, just after DS when the big coke commercial came out?
 [roll3]
WidowsHill

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 01:16:20 PM »
No, no!  It's:
Winston tastes bad, like the one I just had.
No filter, no flavor, just cotton-pickin' paper.
Oh, yes! That's right...the version we did was the first line and the second except for the very last bit was still "it tastes like toilet paper".  It's so funny how these little diddies vary from place to place.  I've heard tons of versions of "Greasy Grimey Gopher Guts" from other kids of the '60's.

'I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony...Coca Cola....'
I remember that one going on in the early 70's so, I it seems reasonable that it could have been around during the final days ::sniff:: of DS.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 01:56:50 PM »
I don't remember the commercials aired during the original run of DS until I see them now being made available. Then I recall them.

Same here. Well some of them. I was remembering two commercials but did they air during DS or during other shows I was watching on prime time at night? I couldn't distinguish between what was shown at night and what was shown during the day.

There was one game, oh what was it called, something about a mystery date, I guess girls played it and you either ended up with a nice looking guy or a dud (?)

The other one was probably pre DS, it was for cracker jacks. I remember it well because it reminded me of me and my brother Ronny. It's in black and white and shows this little girl and little boy running for a while and finally they sit down on some steps and the boy pours some cracker jacks into the little girl's hands and pulls out the prize. It was cute.

Alondra

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 02:09:24 PM »
I remember the beefaroni song....we're having beefaroni, its made with macaroni...beefaronis really great...can't remember the real rest of it, since we always changed the next line to "it makes you throw up on your plate."

Then there was that annoying shake 'n bake kid who he'ped. I think she's the gold standard for every irritating kid Welch's puts in a grape juice ad today.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 03:35:59 PM »
Here's something I stumbled on the other day (oddly, just prior to seeing this thread).  Now, I don't remember it but, this could very well have been playing somewhere during DS...

“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 03:53:08 PM »
Wow, CastleBee, thanks for sharing your find! Talk about priceless! I love it. And what a perfect post for this topic.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 04:17:01 PM »
At one of the fests I attended in the 90s they showed a commercial for Protein 21, helps stop the frizzies.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 05:04:15 PM »
There is the commercials that are on the treasures DVD. Wasn't don't screeze the charman out then? Mr Whipple. Timex, take a licking and keeps ticking. ?

Isn't it strange what comes back?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 05:36:44 PM »
Wow, CastleBee, thanks for sharing your find! Talk about priceless! I love it. And what a perfect post for this topic.
You're welcome dom.  If you do a search on that site you may find some more DS related clips too.  I couldn't get some of them to open though for some reason.

Isn't it strange what comes back?
I KNOW! We were the first generation to be programmed by TV - and they did a REALLY good job.  Scary!