Author Topic: Roger Davis: Most and Least favorite  (Read 4006 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Roger Davis: Most and Least favorite
« on: March 25, 2006, 08:46:13 PM »
Okay, I know the consensus of feelings towards this hair-touching actor on our favorite show. But I was watching boxset 14 the other day (I just got this one, I am so far behind T_T ) and was really struck by how much obvious FUN Roger Davis was having with the character of Dirk, after Laura's demise. It was a nice change of pace as most of his other characters are always dripping in angst or boring to the point of tears *coughNedStuartcough*.

So who are your favorite and least favorite characters played by the notorious Mr. Davis?

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Davis: Most and Least favorite
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 11:09:20 PM »
Dirk was certainly more of a stretch for RD, particularly after his "transformation," in which he chewed everything, including the scenery.  I enjoyed some of his scenes as Jeff Clark, but there was too much soap opera-type love scenes w/ Vicki, which didn't seem to work too well chemistry-wise.  Least favorite appearance has to be Ned Stuart, though to be fair, he had a few good eps there, too.

Petofi

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 03:21:12 AM »
So who are your favorite and least favorite characters played by the notorious Mr. Davis?

None, any episode that's 'Roger Davis free' is a GOOD ep for me.   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 03:36:32 AM »
But I was watching boxset 14 the other day (I just got this one, I am so far behind T_T ) and was really struck by how much obvious FUN Roger Davis was having with the character of Dirk, after Laura's demise.
This is one of the reasons, throughout the show's run, that I don't particularly care for RD. Art should hide its artifice. When you can tell that an actor is having fun with a role, then the performance isn't seamless, and the spell, for lack of a better word, is broken. RD's performances tend to call too much attention to themselves, like Jon Lovitz's Master Thespian character from SNL screaming "Acting!"

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 04:13:00 AM »
I actually didn't care for Dirk.

Since I was totally unaware, I liked Peter Bradford (at least for the first 2/3rds of 1795).

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 04:54:37 AM »
This is one of the reasons, throughout the show's run, that I don't particularly care for RD. Art should hide its artifice. When you can tell that an actor is having fun with a role, then the performance isn't seamless, and the spell, for lack of a better word, is broken. RD's performances tend to call too much attention to themselves, like Jon Lovitz's Master Thespian character from SNL screaming "Acting!"

EXACTLY!  I feel the same way.  To me, if I can FORGET I'm watching a TV show/movie/play, and get totally caught up in the moment as it's being played out in front of me, THAT'S acting!   8)

RD couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag IMHO.  Don't know where he studied acting, but he was obviously asleep the whole time!
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 05:22:52 AM »
I didn't mind him too much as Peter Bradford in 1795.  At least he was a bit more low-key and not so much of a jerk.  He really gets on my nerves as Jeff Clark though.  He was always a complete jerk, and all that soap opera stuff with Vicki was just grating.  I mean, how could she have possibly seen anything in him?  Jeez, nobody's that desperate.

The other night, I was watching an episode and my cat was sleeping peacefully on the bed.  Then Clark appears on screen and starts yelling at Barnabas - the cat wakes up, looks at the TV, and marches out of the room.  This is the same cat that won't even move for the vacuum cleaner until you get six inches away from him.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 06:16:34 AM »
I didn't mind him too much as Peter Bradford in 1795.  At least he was a bit more low-key and not so much of a jerk.  He really gets on my nerves as Jeff Clark though.  He was always a complete jerk, and all that soap opera stuff with Vicki was just grating.  I mean, how could she have possibly seen anything in him?  Jeez, nobody's that desperate.

The other night, I was watching an episode and my cat was sleeping peacefully on the bed.  Then Clark appears on screen and starts yelling at Barnabas - the cat wakes up, looks at the TV, and marches out of the room.  This is the same cat that won't even move for the vacuum cleaner until you get six inches away from him.

He was quite aggravating as Jeff wasn't he? Most of the time he was either yelling at her or trying to suck her face off with his mouth (while touching her hair.) If my boyfriend ever spoke to me in the manner that Jeff often speaks to Vicki I'd probably deck him.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 12:19:56 PM »
Okay, I know the consensus of feelings towards this hair-touching actor on our favorite show. But I was watching boxset 14 the other day (I just got this one, I am so far behind T_T ) and was really struck by how much obvious FUN Roger Davis was having with the character of Dirk, after Laura's demise. It was a nice change of pace as most of his other characters are always dripping in angst or boring to the point of tears *coughNedStuartcough*.

Re Dirk... exactly.    I love the moment when Dirk is gradually clueing Judith in on how their "relationship" is about to "change".     RD obviously relished playing crazy, obsessed people, and as for it being absolutely intolerable for an actor's enthusiasm for a role to show, loosen up, I say.    I have little  tolerance for shallow, melodramatic overacting, and I've never found anything to object to in Davis.    Another great moment is approximately 100 year old Tate in 1970, with his crazy laser light show and department store dummy stand-in.    Subtlety is not called for when playing unsubtle characters.

His reputation at conventions may be coloring people's responses to his acting.    His acting seems average for DS.     Not the best, not the worst, with an enjoyable individual personality to it.   I've never once looked at DS and thought, "That damn Roger Davis touches his hair all the time."   Now, the next time I watch, I'll end up fixating on it only because everyone here talks about it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 02:04:33 PM »
I'm going over the episode's where RD was on DS in my minds, and for the like of me, I can't think of any that was 'good'.  And Rd is supposed to be  "acting".   Please.

He tries to take over every scene he had with everybody.  As Peter Bradford, he comes chargeing out like a bull.  But I think the one that I hate the most is Jeff Clark.  Ranting and raving for no reason.  Trying to make sure his hair is all right.  But when he tells Vickie that she has to listen to him, well honey, thats when we're going to go a couples of rounds. [boxing]

Jeez, I just hate everybody he's trying to be.

You are right BuzzH.  Where did he go to 'acting school'? [twak]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 04:00:05 PM »
Gee, I'm totally in a minority here in that I liked him very well as 1795 Peter Bradford. I thought he gave an intelligent, quiet, and thoughtful performance. I understood completely why Vickie liked him as they both had the same innocence and straightforward manner. But, like the rest of you I loathed him as Jeff Clark (and the only reason Vickie gave him a moment 'cause he was Peter's reincarnation - so I guess that explains it) and I was indifferent to his performance as the mad painter in 1897 where I felt he was miscast. I think RD as Peter Bradford worked for me best as everything about him, his voice and even his mannerism speaks "westerns" to me so I'm not suprised to read he was cast later in a western TV series. Probably he'd have made a good cowboy in a TV show where the director could tone him down every once in awhile.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 04:04:38 PM »
for some reason roger davis didn't bother me as peter bradford in 1795.his over-the-top acting style worked with the pitch of the witchcraft trial storyline.

but as jeff clark forget it.we're supposed to attatch all of this romance to the fact that peter traveled foreward in time to find vicki but when he shows up he's a bossy,annoying jerk.for the most part all they do is bicker.i don't think we ever once see them pleasently enjoying each other's company.it's just too overwrought.

as ned stuart he is something of a non-entity for me.he irritated me during his scenes as ned but the character was on the show too briefly to have had a lasting impact.

the 1897 characters annoy me as well.dirk's glued-on mustache was cheesy.his chemistry with diana millay wasn't there.then his antics as a vampire were too campy.charles delaware tate did't bother me as much but that part of the storyline simply wasn't a favorite of mine.

in general i just found his acting style to be too beligerent. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 04:36:42 PM »
He tries to take over every scene he had with everybody.

He does the same thing as himself at Fests/interviews.  He tries to upstage the others onstage and when he tried to upstage dear Louie Edmond at the 1997 NY Fest, that was IT for me and Mr. Davis.  He moved into my "intensely dislike" category.   >:(  Then, on the Ron Barry interview where he was on w/Jonathan, Grayson, Don Briscoe, Robert Rodan and Humbert, he was trying to hog the mic etc...and was basically an annoying, vapid twit.  Jonathan even made a slightly derisive crack to him when Jon mentions that he thinks ppl are fascinated w/death and that's why he thought that's what attracted fans to DS.  RD very annoyingly (he was TRYING to be funny--I think) says, "Well, I don't know about YOU Jonathan, but I'm not going to die" and then laughs that stupid laugh of his, like he just cracked the best joke EVER.  Jonathan says, voice dripping w/sarcasm, "Oh, you're not eh?" and then Humbert pipes in, "Have you seen the script coming up next week?!"   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 06:08:39 PM »
Hated in RD in every incarnation he played on the show. Between the mauling of his costars and the shouting, he's just so darn annoying. The more I see of him on DS, the less I can stand him. And I haven't even mentioned the hair touching  ;)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 06:39:59 PM »
Another great moment is approximately 100 year old Tate in 1970, with his crazy laser light show and department store dummy stand-in.    Subtlety is not called for when playing unsubtle characters.

Oh Jeez! I forgot about that scene, one of my other favorites (along with a much used quote between my sister and I "I have become my own greatest work of art! MWAHAHA!)