Author Topic: Flora and Desmond Collins  (Read 2170 times)

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Flora and Desmond Collins
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 03:55:58 PM »
What, you mean it wasn't Tom Collins???

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »
At some point in the 1966-67 episodes, there was mention of an Aunt Margaret, I believe, who lived in Boston.
That's Aunt Katherine, I think.  She could be a non-Collins - a sister of the mother of Elizabeth and Roger.

As for Flora, she seems to me to have been born a Collins.  I don't think she was a Magruder, because I figure that the Magruders lived in Rose Cottage after the Collins cousins did, and that they did not carry on the name of Rose Cottage.

Somewhere or other I've said that there could have been Collins cousins like Flora's parents and parents-in-law who were at sea, halfway around the world, at the time of the planned wedding of Barnabas and Josette.  That still seems to me to be the most likely answer to why we didn't see them in 1795.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 05:12:24 PM »
It's possible that Flora was married more than once, to a Magruder and a Collins. She could have been widowed, with a young son and then widowed a second time.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »
That makes a lot of sense, Uncle Roger.  Of course, now we can debate which Collins she married!  I'm going to say it was one of those New York branches (the one that spawned Millicent and Daniel; they were orphans, so there had to be other Collins' and not necessarily just the deceased parents).  So many Collins; so little time.  The whole east coast from Manhattan to Maine was simply crawling with them!

Gerard

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »
Just remembered this while reading the thread:

Shortly after Barnabas' introduction, Liz is telling Carolyn that there's another Collins in town and she asks which one, which would imply there's other family out there... somewhere.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 10:32:22 PM »
I just saw that Flora told Carrie that she was maybe a year older than Carrie when she was married.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 09:40:52 PM »
Interesting to think that Flora's husband was RT Justin.
I have read fan theories ages ago that Naomi was a Collins by birth and that she and Joshua were distant cousins. Isn't there some hints that Naomi was a Collins by birth, such as saying the Old House had always been in her name?
That leads into the theory that Flora was Naomi's blood niece, and thus also a Collins by birth. I've always liked that theory, connecting Naomi and Flora as close relatives, and Flora a blood relation to Daniel and his offspring. Flora and her husband, whoever he was, would then be distant cousins.
I've also heard it suggested that the McG name was Flora's late husband's name, and after his death she and Desmond took on her maiden name.

David

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 10:07:33 PM »
My grandparents were cousins on both sides. Both weddings were arranged by their parents. Up to our parents' generation, this was not unusual.