Author Topic: Cursor movement  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Cursor movement
« on: July 20, 2004, 08:21:38 AM »
After clicking on a link, rather than continuing to use the mouse to move down on a page, I'll often go back to the keyboard and use the down arrow.  Sometimes one has to click on the page first, before that works and on some pages it doesn't seem to be necessary.

Any more, when I arrive at the home page here, that won't work.  I absolutely have to use the mouse.  But, once I get to subsequent pages, the keyboard WILL work, and, when I return to the home page, then I CAN use the arrow key instead of the mouse.

Makes no sense to me!!  :) :)
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Cursor movement
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 08:18:23 PM »
I've never used keyboard shortcut keys to navigate any Web sites (I always use my mouse), but the up/down arriows seem to respond differently on the forum depending on the browser one is using. For instance, when using Opera or Firefox, they work right from the first time one accesses the forum's BoardIndex (the home page) - when using IE, Mozilla or Linux's Konqueror, they work as soon as you open a second page, no matter if it's a board, topic, or whatever - and when using Netscape or Linux's Galeon, they don't seem to work until after one opens a topic or clicks the link to a PM.

Certainly an interesting curiosity.  ;)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 08:41:32 PM »
I'm glad Josette brought this up since my experience has been the same as hers -- I didn't know if it was a fluke with my computer or what the explanation was.  Glad to know it's the browser, and not the computer, that's responsible.

On some webpages - never this one, though - I have a problem with my cursor going wacko (which is why I read this thread when I saw the subject).  I'll sometimes have no control over it, and a few times have had to bring up the Task Manager and shut things down.  This is only when I'm on the Internet.  As soon as I shut that down and go into a Word document, the problem ceases.

Also, I just noticed something weird now that I haven't noticed before.  I'm in IE (I know, I know, I should be using an alternative ... ) and the "E" icon in the lower left of the screen is flickering like a bad neon sign.

:P

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 09:19:05 PM »
So, I read this....how would I (if using arrow keys)

a) reply

b) curse/cure

c...etc?

I was only able to go up down...nada else.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 10:11:35 PM »
how would I (if using arrow keys)

a) reply

b) curse/cure

c...etc?

The keys' only function when used alone is to scroll up, down, and left or right too if called for.

They can be used to go back (Alt + Lt. arrow) and forward (Alt + Rt. arrow).

In a reply window you can use them alone to navigate text one character or line at a time, or in combination to jump to the next word (Ctrl + Lt. or Rt. arrow), select lines (Shift + arrow Up or Down), and select words (Ctrl + Shift + Rt. or Lt. arrow).  These are Windows/Netscape shortcuts, btw, and may vary.

In other words, they will not perform any commands on the forums other than navigation.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 10:26:16 PM »

As Midnite explained. the arrow keys can only be used for navigation.

The only shortcut keys that I'm aware of for the forum itself are the two that are explained above the "Post" and "Preview" buttons when you're composing a new post (and they can also be used with the "Send Message" and "Preview" buttons when composing a PM). They're alt+s for "Post" (or "Send message") and alt+p for "Preview". However, I've never understood why under normal circumstances anyone would want to have to hit two keys in combination on the keyboard when clicking a button with their mouse is so much simpler.  ;)