Author Topic: Characters whose personalities changed  (Read 4710 times)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
Characters whose personalities changed
« on: February 07, 2007, 09:12:32 PM »
Something MB said on another thread made me think of this. There were several characters whose personalities changed or seemed to change within a storyline or over the course of the show. They started one way and changed either for the better or for the worse. Maybe it was due to some event that the change occurs. Others we know stay pretty much the same, either good or bad. But I can think of quite a few who made some kind of drastic change in their personality.

1) Barnabas of course, he began as [spoiler]that rotten vampire who only thought of himself and eventually becomes a kind caring person, and it's not just when he was human, when he reverts he continues to be the kind caring Barnabas we can appreciate.[/spoiler]

2) Quentin who begins immature and through the course of the 1897 storyline matures through the terrible events that befall him, some of which are his own fault like [spoiler]the werewolf curse[/spoiler]

3) Willie Loomis who was a belligerent obnoxious creep and becomes a loving caring man by benefit of [spoiler]a vampire's bite[/spoiler]

Who else can you think of? Elaborate a bit more on these or come up with others.

Alondra

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Characters whose personalities changed
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:22:06 PM »
Julia-started out a cold fish, became warm and caring.
Roger-started out an insufferable bore and bully-mellowed considerably by the end.
Vickie-started out smart-in the end had no clue.
Maggie-started out a gum snappin' Eve Arden wannabe-ended up a victim/ingenue.
Carolyn-started out a spoiled, selfish, little rich girl-ended up being a very mature young woman.
David-started out as Damien from The Omen-ended up being a pretty nice, albeit weird, kid.
Jeb-started out a Cheap Insufferable Pig-ended up being a pretty decent guy.
Joshua-started out a cold, controlling, emotionless Vulcan-ended up showing he truly loved/cared about his family.

That's all I can think of right now.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:01:57 PM »
Hey, Vulcans are nice.  I like Vulcans.   If Joshua lost all the contempt and scorn and self-worship, he might have been a bit more Vulcan.   Joshua was emotional as hell, it was just the crappier emotions.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:19:49 PM »
Adam-started out an innocent, fully-grown babe in the woods, then started to learn more words and more about the world (under the wisdom of Professor Stokes), he was on his way to becoming a fully decent, honest human being and then what happens..... [spoiler]BAM!!! Nicholas Blair is what happened, taught Adam all the wrong things, that it was okay to lie, cheat, even kill to get what he wants, and Adam turns into a mean, threatening, violent bully who when he doesn't get what he wants right away or something goes wrong, kidnaps and tries to murder an innocent woman (Vicki), and even almost strangled Carolyn, the woman he fell in love with, at one point.[/spoiler]

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 10:33:06 PM »
I think what happened to Adam was such a shame. I wish he had remained under the influence of the Professor and even Barnabas and Julia who [spoiler]though they created him didn't have a clue about how to teach him. Why weren't they teaching him how to speak? When they left him with Willie, Willie could have taught him how to speak as well. Instead it was a huge mess and all he did was grunt for the longest time. If they had, Barnabas, being his "father" could have taught him so much. It was the Professor and Sam Evans who had the first real influence on Adam, but once Nicholas entered the picture Adam was ruined. I only hope that in the end when he was back with the Professor, that he was able to put Nicholas' influence behind him and become a good person again.[/spoiler]

Alondra

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:57:58 AM »
Nathan Forbes--started out as a seemingly all right chap but turned into a grade A number one a-hole.

Joe Haskell--started out a smart and all around nice guy, turned into Angelique's lap dog and a grade A insano.

Count Petofi--started out as Victor Finn-Gibbon, friend of the family, turned into that less-one-hand manipulative old grouch.

Angelique--started out vengeful and kniving, turned into the "love" of Barnabas' life and a decent gal upon removing his curse.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 08:03:06 AM »
Julia-started out a cold fish, became warm and caring.
Roger-started out an insufferable bore and bully-mellowed considerably by the end.
Vickie-started out smart-in the end had no clue.
Maggie-started out a gum snappin' Eve Arden wannabe-ended up a victim/ingenue.
Carolyn-started out a spoiled, selfish, little rich girl-ended up being a very mature young woman.
David-started out as Damien from The Omen-ended up being a pretty nice, albeit weird, kid.
Joshua-started out a cold, controlling, emotionless Vulcan-ended up showing he truly loved/cared about his family.

That's all I can think of right now.  ;)

These are great as are the others.  Having fun just reading everyone's picks.  I'll have to think about this more.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 08:52:48 AM »
Daphne started out as an Angry ghost, then change to being nicer
Megan started out nice, and wanting to help her husband. Then she became a Vampire who revelled in Killing.
Paul Stoddard started out selfish and left his daughter. Then tried to protect her.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 01:41:30 PM »
Count Petofi--started out as Victor Finn-Gibbon, friend of the family, turned into that less-one-hand manipulative old grouch.

I think Victor Fenn-Gibbon however ya spell it, since he was Count Petofi already had his plan in mind [spoiler]to get his hand back. He was being nice to Edward and others at Collinwood (he could turn on the charm when he wanted to!) but then he kissed Jamison and possessed him. So they were really the same person.[/spoiler]

Alondra

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 02:11:16 PM »
Was the hand there before Petofi arrived? I can't remember why Petofi even showed up at Collinwood in the first place.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 02:28:15 PM »
Was the hand there before Petofi arrived? I can't remember why Petofi even showed up at Collinwood in the first place.

[spoiler]Yes, Magda brought the hand back from Boston. She had stolen it from King Johnny. She wanted to use it to cure Quentin but it didn't work. He transformed into the werewolf and was caught. The next morning he became himself in the prison but his face was distorted. Later he tried to get the hand from Evan who had custody of it at that time. That's when Aristede showed up to take it from Quentin. I think it was around this time that Victor had come to Collinsport and stayed at Collinwood for a while, using as his entrance that he had been a friend of Gerald Soames who had also been a friend of Edward's. So Edward allowed him to stay at Collinwood. That's when we learn he and Aristede are working together. How he learned that the hand was in Collinsport I don't know.[/spoiler]

Alondra

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 05:12:50 PM »

He was still a cheap, insufferable pig - but because any power that he might have possessed was gone near the end, he had no choice but to go around with his tail between his legs. The love of a good woman (or man) might be a calming influence in some, but I always find it very hard to imagine anyone who's that much of a relentless killing machine could supposedly turn into anything resembling a decent guy overnight - removal of his supernatural powers or otherwise. But maybe that's just me.  ;)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 06:03:26 PM »
Right you are Alonda! Petofi did come there with his plan already in mind, but I was thinking more of an audience perspective. From that frame of mind, Petofi did change, albeit very quickly, from being Mr. Nicey-Nice to Mr. Meany-Mean.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 06:18:42 PM »
He was still a cheap, insufferable pig - but because any power that he might have possessed was gone near the end, he had no choice but to go around with his tail between his legs.
Sounds difficult.  Aren't the tails of pigs curly?  I imagine him reaching down between his legs to make sure the tail is in place, while meanwhile everybody around him politely averts their eyes.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 06:19:31 PM »
Mr. Meany-Mean.

And as Mr. Meany-Mean, he was a joy to behold!  [thumb]

I imagine him reaching down between his legs to make sure the tail is in place, while meanwhile everybody around him politely averts their eyes.

[lghy]