Author Topic: RIP SCI FI Channel Dark Shadow Board  (Read 3297 times)

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
RIP SCI FI Channel Dark Shadow Board
« on: October 21, 2006, 04:26:10 AM »
Sci Fi has taken dow it's Dark Shadows board. I like to my fellow posters over the years In the words of Nickolas Blair"I solute You"
Dan

David

Re: RIP SCI FI Channel Dark Shadow Board
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 04:52:53 AM »
What a shame!

Sci Fi gets worse & worse all the time.
Their movies are embarrasing!

Looks like DS Boards is the only game in town!

David

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 05:59:47 AM »
I noticed earlier that it was missing, a result of scifi.com doing maintenance to its forum system earlier this week.  The Sci-Fi Dominion board was the first place I ever posted when I got online, and I met some great people there like Josette, RobinV and Kosmo13.  Even though the board became infested with trolls over the past couple of years and little actual DS talk took place there, it always held great sentimental value for me.  I will miss it.  [hall2_cry]

ProfStokes

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »
Awww -  That's too bad that Sci-Fi got rid of their DS BBOARD!   [hall2_cry] However, you can still access the old DS BBOARD at http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.php/1/1/1254   [hall_wink]  You can't post there, but you can still read all the old posts.

The DS BBOARD was the first place I posted about DS, also.  I met lots of nice people there and it was great until the trolls took over.  Even though I went there very infrequently in recent years, I will miss it.  It's where I met lots of wonderful fellow DS fans.

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 04:29:35 PM »
Well that really stinks! I don't believe that I ever posted there, but that's just one more place where DS talk can happen now, and they're becoming fewer and fewer by the years!

And David, you are SOOOOOO right!!! Their movies are HUGELY AND AWFULLY HORRIBLY AND EMBARASSINGLY BAD!!! I can't ever sit through one because the acting is so horrible in them. I don't know why they make those movies and waste all that money!!! [female_skull]
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 05:01:45 PM »
Crap!  Now where are we going to post our Christmas Round Robin this year?  Well, I *guess* we could put it on Fanfiction.net.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

David

Bad Movies on Sci Fi
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 05:56:44 PM »
 [female_skull]

Brandon,
last year I watched a Sci-Fi film called Buzzzzzz
It was about a swarm of killer wasps.
I thought it would be fun,, as the similarly themed
The Deadly Bees (1966) was the first horror film I ever paid to see in a cinema.

Bees has long been derided for it's bad special effects.
The swarms were obviously superimposed over the victims, but at least the earlier film used REAL BEES!

In Buzzzzz, the wasps were hand drawn animation, and this was in a live action film!!!!!!
It was beyond embarrasing.

To think that Sci Fi used to show DS and classic horror, which they dumped for shit like Buzzzzzz!!
Shame on them!

David 

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 06:02:58 PM »
I don't want to say that the Sci-Fi Channel "original" movies are that bad, but, in comparison, they make such beloved 1950s sci-fi/horror clinkers as "The Giant Gila Monster" and "Frankenstein's Daughter," look like masterpieces! [hall2_rolleyes] [hall2_wink] [hall2_smiley]

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 08:20:12 PM »
Rats! And I just found it a few weeks back, too! Ah well, this DS board is so entertaining that I'm happy to stay and play here! [hall2_wink]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 09:42:43 PM »
Part of me can't help but feel very sad about this because for a time in the '90s the Sci-Fi Dominion DS board was a magical place to post. That might sound fanciful to the people who were unfamiliar with it at that time, but it's absolutely true. Though the truly sad thing is that the people at Sci-Fi allowed trolls to run amuck, causing all manner of problems (some of which actually prompted FBI intervention and resolution). And as of late I've been told that the Sci-Fi moderators were deleting topics at whim and treating DS fans with disdain. (Though treating DS fans with disdain is hardly a new practice for all too many at Sci-Fi - even when fans have been in the right. Who will ever forget how they refused to admit those Leviathans eps had ever been played out of sequence and how they treated everyone who presented actual evidence as if they were hallucinating?!  [hall2_angry])  But I like to hope that some good did come out of the strife because if the trolls had never infested that board, Midnite and I would never have been prompted to create a new board on VantageNet, and this forum would have never evolved out of it. So, I for one am actually grateful to the trolls. And wouldn't it just kill them to know that their actions actually prompted something that I would like to hope has given DS fans a certain degree of pleasure.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 09:48:47 PM »
But I like to hope that some good did come out of the strife because if the trolls had never infested that board, Midnite and I would never have been prompted to create a new board on VantageNet, and this forum would have never evolved out of it. So, I for one am actually grateful to the trolls. And wouldn't it just kill them to know that their actions actually prompted something that I would like to hope has given DS fans a certain degree of pleasure.  [hall2_smiley]

Well if that's what led to *this* magical place, then I will certainly thank the trolls from one side of my mouth and curse them from the other! There's not much that annoys me online, but trolls and spammers are on that list!  [female_skull]
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 02:29:12 AM »
How sad.  I stopped checking it a couple of years ago, but I remember it well.  I remember the delightful surprise back in the Nineties seeing that not only oldtimers like yours truly were enjoying the show, but even "today's people of the Now Generation" as we used to say in the Sixties.

G.

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 03:47:48 AM »
You're right, MB...it was fun in those days, wasn't it? I remember when there were maybe a dozen of us posting regularly, and in touch with each other in private emails.

I remember getting one first email in particular, from a woman who told me she liked something I had posted, and that she was very new to it all, had to ask her 7 year old son how to do a search, and that her first search was for Dark Shadows. Now just look at what that woman can do now!

N
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 04:18:11 AM »
You're right, MB...it was fun in those days, wasn't it? I remember when there were maybe a dozen of us posting regularly, and in touch with each other in private emails.

It was a blast!

I remember getting one first email in particular, from a woman who told me she liked something I had posted, and that she was very new to it all, had to ask her 7 year old son how to do a search, and that her first search was for Dark Shadows. Now just look at what that woman can do now!

That kid is 17 now.  So much has happened... Sheenasma, where did the time go?  <sigh>

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 04:34:48 AM »
That kid is 17 now. So much has happened... Sheenasma, where did the time go? <sigh>

17?? ??  Ack.  How did that happen? OMG I don't think even Nicky was 17 back in those days!
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP