Author Topic: Carolyn Stoddard: Schooldays, schooldays...  (Read 839 times)

Offline rosebud cottage

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Carolyn Stoddard: Schooldays, schooldays...
« on: March 30, 2007, 04:28:40 PM »
I've always wondered how Carolyn Stoddard's education was handled when she was a child and a teen. Since Elizabeth wouldn't permit any live-in staff at Collinwood after the events of 1949 (at least until Vicki arrived), I would assume that would also include a governess. Did Liz allow Carolyn to attend the Collinsport public schools? I can just picture Carolyn setting her sights on hunky Joe Haskell, the high school's star quarterback! (I also imagine Carolyn toying with some of her male teachers just to get passing grades!) Maybe Liz hired someone from the village to drive out to the estate each weekday and teach Carolyn. Somehow I get the impression Carolyn was never shipped off to boarding school. Also, you might be pondering if Carolyn ever had any post-graduation plans. Other than her brief job at the antique shop & in-between her series of wacky romances, she seemed to have little to do other than help her mother with chores & social activities. It would have been interesting to see Carolyn take a position at the cannery - I can just see her as a tough-as-nails businesswoman!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Carolyn Stoddard: Schooldays, schooldays...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 05:11:08 PM »
It's my impression that Carolyn attended classes outside of Collinwood. There is a point in the show when Liz talks about how difficult Carolyn's childhood was, being teased by the other children about her mother being a witch (I love that line). Whether or not Liz mentioned this happened at school I can't say for sure but my memory tells me it is so.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:28:28 PM »
Dom, Liz did say it was the kids at school.

And Carolyn and Joe were high school sweethearts.  There's this:
isode #93

We see other couples dancing in the Blue Whale. Carolyn reminisces to the others how they used to take long walks up to Eagle's Point. Joe sips his drink and says they haven't done that since high school. We should again, soon, says Carolyn--maybe someday.

Eagle's Point, eh?  ;)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 06:59:20 PM »
during the laura collins storyline when liz was under a certain "influence" carolyn was put in charge of running both the house and the business...much to roger's dismay.

she was very "mistress of the manor".
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »
carolyn was put in charge of running both the house and the business...much to roger's dismay.

Dismay is probably putting it mildly - he was positively outraged that he had to take orders from Carolyn. [wink2]  And I do love the scene in Ep #160 in which he accuses Carolyn of becoming more and more like him, to which Carolyn remarks that surely that's a compliment.  [lghy]  [thumb]