Author Topic: Summer '67 musings  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Summer '67 musings
« on: March 28, 2007, 04:40:53 PM »
Each time I view a particular storyline, I find myself concentrating on a different aspect of the production.  In DVD Vol. 3, we are caught up with Barnabas and Julia getting on each other's nerves, Barnabas and Burke getting on each other's nerves, David discovering the Collins Family Mausoleum, and Willie on death-watch at the hospital.

Throughout my current viewing of this storyline, I've been enthralled by the artistry of Jonathan and Grayson, who are able to sustain their then-confrontational, threat-filled relationship in long scenes of dialogue just between the two of them.  What a hoot!  Julia keeps needling Barnabas, and he can't stand it!  Love his line about Juia's "domineering" attitude and how it is "unbecoming" of a woman -- how very Eighteenth Century.

At the same time, Grayson managed to portray Julia as a multi-layered, unconventional woman, yet one who never loses her femininity or dignity.  Not easy for a character who always seemed to be pushng the envelope.

Even though I didn't particularly care for Anthony George, I found the scenes between him and Jonathan quite effective -- a pushy and sometimes obnoxious boor trying to expose a gentlemanly but evil kidnapper/torturer/killer.

David Henesy had to be one of the best child actors of his day.  I don't think I've ever seen an episode where he was having an off day.  Most kid-actors did short lines on sitcoms, whereas David had many lines to deliver on a variety of emotional levels.

In the scenes in the mausoleum, I was fascinated by how the inside of Naomi Collins' crypt was always well-lit, even with the door closed.  I had to LAUGH OUT LOUD when an angry Barnabas tried to strangle Julia while the two were hiding inside.  Julia's deep, throaty scream was priceless, as were the clueless reactions of Burke and Roger, who were standing only yards away on the other side of the wall.

I had to do a quadruple-take upon seeing Doctor Julia non-chalantly lighting up in Willie's hospital room.  Oh, how times have changed . . . and how I will never tire of re-watching these episodes.

Ben

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: Summer '67 musings
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 05:39:35 PM »
I have to agree with you here, Ben. Each time I rewatch a storyline I always find something new and different to appreciate, which gives me a completely different perspective on the story.

Julia & Barnabas' relationship during the episodes you are watching is perhaps my favorite one involving them. I always believe that Julia and Barnabas, and, alternatively, Grayson and Jonathan, are at their best when the characters are fueding with one another. The lines and quips are always superb, and each character and actor is written and portrayed to perfection. I'm glad that over time the writers found ways to make the two enemies again, especially after they had been quite friendly for so long, because it certainly shook up whatever storyline it happened in, and gave the storyline an extra edge.

As for the smoking, I've noticed that over the course of the series it's become less and less apparent. You mentioned Julia lighting up in Willie's hospital room, which is quite surprising given that they should've certainly known better, but lighting up anywhere becomes a rarity once the Quentin/Beth storyline starts, and probably even before that. I think the last time that I remember cigarettes being front and center was when Cassandra used Tony's lighter to hypnotize him. Of course, that can be explained somewhat because much of the time after the Quentin/Beth storyline took place in the past. I'm not sure what the history of smoking is, so they could have been smoking SOMETHING back then, but it still wasn't shown.

I wonder why this is? It can't be because people started to look down on smoking. I mean, I didn't live in the 60s and 70s, but it seems to me that only very recently have people begun to look down on smoking, and here very recently that smoking has been banned in restaurants and bars around the country. Anyone have any further information?
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »
Smoking was considered sophisticated at one time, believe it or not.  Big stars lit up on screen though I am not sure how much it was done on soaps since I didn't watch them.  But it was considered a "cool" thing to do.

I wonder why this is? It can't be because people started to look down on smoking. I mean, I didn't live in the 60s and 70s, but it seems to me that only very recently have people begun to look down on smoking, and here very recently that smoking has been banned in restaurants and bars around the country. Anyone have any further information?

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 06:19:01 PM »
Barnabas and Julia are great to watch as enemies, but personally I like their friendship later on much better. (Though I do admit it was great to watch them go against one another again during the Leviathan storyline). It got kind of tiresome watching him throttle her everytime she withheld something back from him after awhile.

I agree David Henesy is a very talented actor, especially during this storyline. I love his scenes with Sharon Smyth (Sarah) too.

Don't mean to be nit-picking, but it wasn't Burke and Roger who were at the mausoleum when Julia and Barnabas were behind the wall, it was Sam and Dr. Woodard.

David

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 06:22:59 PM »
 :D
with their training & extensive theatre backgrounds, it makes perfect sense that Grayson & JF would display intensity in their scenes together.

How grand it would have been if Barnabas & Julia had developed a love/hate relationship a'la Richard Burton & Elizabeth Taylor, with Julia's deep love for Barnabas still kept obvious.

Just imagine:
GH & JF on Broadway together:
after their smashing, Tony winning triumph in The Lion in Winter, they re-team for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf!
WOW!

David

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 06:30:10 PM »
Sorry, but I think John Karlen and Nancy Barrett did a magnificent  portrayal of embattled spouses, and Frid and Hall could not have improved on their work.  Grayson would have been wonderful, but I can't see Frid being earthy and rough-eged enough to pull it off.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 07:29:23 PM »
Don't mean to be nit-picking, but it wasn't Burke and Roger who were at the mausoleum when Julia and Barnabas were behind the wall, it was Sam and Dr. Woodard.

Thanks for the correction.  I guess the mausoleum became such a popular attraction during this storyline that I couldn't keep track of all the visitors.  ;)

Another scene that made an impression with me was the awkward and almost comedic moment between Dr. Woodard and Julia at Collinwood, in which he gently puts Julia on the spot (as only an old friend can do), suggesting that the reason she wants to remain at Collinwood after the capture of Maggie's kidnapper was because she had romantic designs on Barnabas.  I loved Julia's feigned innocent reaction, along the lines of "What, me?  Me . . . and Barnabas?  How could you say that?"

My question is: Given that Grayson is credited with infusing the unrequited-love-for-Barnabas aspect into Julia's character, did this particular scene -- in the summer of '67 -- reflect the first hint of her romantic interest in Barnabas?  Or did she begin adding this nuance to her character later?  Or earlier?  I could sense her genuine concern for Barnabas in earlier episodes but wasn't sure if this was already rising to the level of a romantic interest.

Ben

Offline rosebud cottage

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 07:40:03 PM »
Jonathan & Grayson would have been magnificent as Henry & Eleanor in THE LION IN WINTER! God, my mouth waters just thinking about them in those roles...
I also happen to think Grayson would have made a wonderful Mame Dennis in AUNTIE MAME!
And how about Nancy Barrett as Blanche DuBois in A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE? I can just hear Nancy saying: "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."!!!
Does anyone else think that back in the day Nancy would have made a wonderful Sally Bowles in CABARET?
I would love to have owned & operated a summer stock theater back in the late'60's/early '70's & cast the productions with the DS ensemble!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 08:09:34 PM »
I think that is was so tense in 1967 with all the fighting, I don't think it could have gone any farthur. I wish they should have shown more of the change after 1795 how did things change. They were different in 1968. You could feel the tension between JF and GH on screen, I wonder how much of that was nervousness on JF part.

But it would be great seeing JF and GH together in a play, where they would have time to work out their sceens. Also  I think if they would have had the chance to play out after the return of 1840 it could have been really fun. Can you imagine Julia and Barnabas fight for their rights in a romantic relationship? :D I sometimes think that Julia would have walked out!
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 10:16:38 PM »
At some point, late 60s, early 70s?... Virginia Slims got millions of women to smoke, I guess, by presenting it as a sign of being liberated.  So smoking was increasing.     As with so many matters back then, there was a vocal minority talking about the dangers that was made out to be a bunch of kooks, by corporations and people in general.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 11:15:53 PM »
Don't mean to be nit-picking, but...

Truthfully, we encourage members to point out any misinformation that might accidentally become posted on the forum - not to nit-pick or to be a smartass - but only so that mistaken info isn't seemingly presented as fact. That sort of stuff has a way of taking on a life of its own - especially on the Internet.  ::)  And the admins/mods here strive to make all the info on the forum as factual as possible for that very reason. So, if/when any members might point out an accidental mistake (in a friendly and respectful way, of course  :)), it saves the admins/mods from having to do so, and we're very grateful.  ;)

And welcome back, Ben! It's fantastic to see you! You've been missed.  :)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 01:32:11 AM »
i'm currently (re)watching dvd collection 3 as well.the summer and fall of 1967 is one of my absolute favorite time periods on the show.i love everything about these episodes.

i do think that barnabas and julia are at their most compelling here.i love the cat-and-mouse dynamic.later on things get too easy between them.

it's amazing how quickly these two ascended the throne during this period.from "temporary" characters destined to be killed-off to the main players in the span of weeks really.

i too laughed out loud when julia brazenly "lights up" inches away from a comatose patient in a hospital room. ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 02:24:39 AM »
Rosebud:
Nancy Barrett has done musical theatre & would have made a grand Sally Bowles!

I do agree that Barrett & Karlen were superb actors
& played a Liz & Dick styled couple very well in 1970PT.
They could have done the road shows of Lion in Winter
& Virginia Woolf, with Grayson &  Frid doing New York.

OK, how about Tennesse Williams' Suddenly Last Summer, with Grayson as Mrs. Violet Venable, Frid as the doctor, and Nancy Barrett as Mad Catherine (but is she really.....?)
In the film, those roles were played by Kate Hepburn, Monty Clift & Liz Taylor.
I SWOON thinking of our DS stars in those parts!

David

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 02:55:01 AM »
I can't see Frid being earthy and rough-eged enough to pull it off.

I beg to differ....Jonathan already proved he could play the embittered, earthy, rough-around-the-edges type of fellow with Bramwell. I believe he could play anyone if he wanted to.

Offline rosebud cottage

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 03:50:42 AM »
...or John Karlen & Nancy Barrett as Nick & Honey in WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? in the same production w/Frid & Hall as George & Martha?