Author Topic: Julia's Sedative's In 1995 etc.  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Julia's Sedative's In 1995 etc.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 03:34:06 AM »
a suit that I bought from Robert Halls in 1976

Whoa - Robert Halls! Talk about a blast from the past. I'd forgotten that place even existed!  :D

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 04:15:55 AM »
I got my high school graduation suit from Robert Halls!

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »
the opening shot of collinwood in ruins gave me goosebumps!

besides julia's sedatives barnabas makes a pretty bold assumption in that his coffin will still be ready and waiting for him at the old house(or was it the mausoleum?).in that twenty five year period no one ever stumbled across it?might the old house have not been demolished even?

in general traditional men's suiting doesn't "date" in the same way that women's clothing styles do.so i don't think barnabas would have looked all that out of the ordinary in 1995.julia much more so.little did our nattily attired time travelers know that by 1995 most people ran around in sneakers and sweat pants. ::)

i think they tried to solve the futuristic fashion bug-a-boo by making the characters look insane.they didn't have to worry about how carolyn and mrs.johnson looked if instead of trying to predict what would be "fashionable" in the future they just made them look nuts.since they both existed their own world since the disaster that supposedly struck the family in 1970 it's not inconceivable that shopping for new things was not a priority and they just wore increasingly tatty remnants of their old cloths.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 09:53:15 PM »
little did our nattily attired time travelers know that by 1995 most people ran around in sneakers and sweat pants.

The villagers most probably would - but not the proper members of the Collins family. Perish the thought!!   :o  Even if, say, Roger had still been living in the ruins of Collinwood, he would have been wearing a suit/tie - or at the very least a sport coat/ascot. Even amongst the ruins of the ancestral home, a Collins (unless insane, then there's a bit of leeway  ;)) as well as any permanent boarders MUST be well groomed and nattily attired AT ALL TIMES. It's an irrevocable edict. There's no two ways about it!  ;D

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 01:00:15 AM »
I like the idea of a very proper and insane Roger, living camped out in the Drawing Room, with a broken empty brandy snifter always in his hand, always dressed for dinner, but with no pants.    Maybe a tutu.   No, that's been done to death.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 05:52:29 PM »
besides julia's sedatives barnabas makes a pretty bold assumption in that his coffin will still be ready and waiting for him at the old house(or was it the mausoleum?).in that twenty five year period no one ever stumbled across it?might the old house have not been demolished even?

My thoughts exactly. Why did he naturally assume it would be there? Just think what a dilemma it would have been if his coffin wasn't anywhere to be found.

[spoiler]Carolyn tells Julia and Barnabas the family all went away and that they would come back soon, but I don't believe it was ever mentioned where exactly the family disappeared to. Perhaps Gerard killed them somehow?[/spoiler]
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
[spoiler]Carolyn tells Julia and Barnabas the family all went away and that they would come back soon, but I don't believe it was ever mentioned where exactly the family disappeared to. Perhaps Gerard killed them somehow?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]We can presume that he was responsible.  The family disappeared without a trace on the same night that Carolyn and Quentin went mad, and she most likely became the sole surviving witness to what occurred yet her mental status was too far gone to face up to what really happened so she chose to believe that they're away, and Mrs. Johnson must've bought into that too.  Carolyn did mention looking for her mother's grave in what was possibly a fleeting moment of clarity (what a pity that Julia didn't have her medallion), and I'm sure that fear of reprisal from Gerard also played a part.  Stokes told Barnabas and Julia that he wouldn't rule out the possibility that their bodies are still somewhere in the house (eek!).  We saw David's headstone, but based on what Stokes revealed about that night, I don't know if we can be sure that he's actually buried there.[/spoiler]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 10:37:36 PM »
Couldn't have Barnabas just gone into the Mausoleum and closed the door. His suit might not have looked so nice. Julia took his suit to the dry cleaner. 24 hour martenizing, by the way, why didn't Barnabas never looked to wrinkled? ^-^ ;) ;)

They could have looked in Julia Room, why would anyone want the madalion, it wasn't pretty.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Julia's Sedatives In 1995 etc.
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 02:57:25 AM »
Some died in 1970, we know that, from the conversation in the Old House where BC and Stokes? talked about the funerals, for ECS and I forget who else.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Julia's Sedatives In 1995 etc.
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 04:21:24 AM »
Some died in 1970, we know that, from the conversation in the Old House where BC and Stokes? talked about the funerals, for ECS and I forget who else.

Yes, you mean this conversation that took place after Barnabas and Julia saw the events play out, and just before he used the I-Ching wands:
Robservations ... -- 1113

Old House, 1970 - Barnabas sits before the fire, staring despondently into the flames.  Eliot Stokes joins him--Barnabas, are you feeling any better?  No, he replies, his hands crawling over each other before he clasps them in an almost-prayerful attitude.  I'm sorry, says Stokes, I had hoped you'd be able to attend the funeral this afternoon.  I couldn't even do that, says Barn.  ... I knew I shouldn't have gone to Europe, says Stokes, but I thought I had time to bring back the one man who could exorcise Gerard--I thought I had time--it's all I could hear this afternoon as I listened to the minister reading the psalms over those caskets--Elizabeth, David, Daphne, Carrie--all gone.  Barnabas laces his fingers together--I'll never forget that night, he says, those creatures Gerard summoned from the grave stopped me from following Julia--I'm going to find her, he vows--...