Author Topic: "The Uninvited"  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"The Uninvited"
« on: April 03, 2002, 03:27:27 AM »
Luciaphil recently called this movie to our attention.  It's supposed to be a classic film about a haunting that inspired certain aspects of DS.

Now, I noticed in my TV schedule that SciFi is scheduled to air "The Uninvited" late-night this Wednesday (actually early Thurs. a.m., at least where I live).

I can't wait to see it!  Set your VCRs ...

Now all I have to look for is those movies Gothick mentioned, which I had never heard of, and that Two-Headed Thing that wouldn't Die or whatever it is ...

::)

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: "The Uninvited"
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2002, 04:07:27 AM »
That is one of the creepiest, classiest ghost movies ever made, a real chiller which can still make you shiver today.  It's right up there with "The Innocents", based on Henry James "The Turn of the Screw", which inspired a certain other storyline in our beloved series.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2002, 04:57:13 AM »
Vlad, I was all set to program my VCR to tape "The Uninvited"....only to check my local TV Guide listings and find that SciFi is showing no such thing here.  How does that work?  My local cable company doesn't carry it during the overnight period from 3am to about 6 or 7 am...even tho SciFi is broadcasting elsewhere?  How stupid is that?

Well, be sure YOU tape it because it really IS an absolute CLASSIC ghost story.
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2002, 05:05:57 AM »
The Uninvited with Ray Milland is a wonderful ghost movie (and is where the song "Stella By Starlight" comes from). It's certainly full of the classic gothic atmosphere that DS drew upon in its early days. But I wonder if that's what Sci Fi Channel is actually showing. There's a very schlocky Uninvited, starring a stellar cast of nobodies, from 1988 about a giant mutant rat -- more in line with SFC's usual fare.

--Mark

The_Late_Mrs._Collins

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2002, 05:17:31 AM »

No, they _are_ showing the classic movie.

THE UNINVITED

This spooky Hollywood classic, based on a novel by Dorothy Macardle, finds a brother and sister (Ray Milland, Academy Award-winner for The Lost Weekend, and Ruth Hussey) inhabiting a seaside mansion that happens to be haunted by the spectre of a dead woman. Will the siblings be able to solve the mystery behind the woman's death and bring peace to their home before it's too late? A worthy drama as well as a ghost story, it was Oscar-nominated for its cinematography.

Airs Thursday, April 4, at 3AM ET/PT*

I've seen it many times and it's wonderfully atmospheric.  Some trivia:  Gail Russell (who plays Stella) played Cornelia Otis Skinner in the film Our Hearts Were Young and Gay.  Skinner has a key role in The Uninvited.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2002, 05:50:53 AM »
Well, that's nice to know, that they're showing the Real Thing everywhere but here!!

Now I'm REALLY pissed off!! [angryf]
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2002, 07:01:13 AM »
Sounds good!  Thank you for alerting us to it, Vlad.  I haven't checked my listings yet, so I hope we get it here.
Josette

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2002, 07:03:35 AM »
Don't feel too bad Rainey ......

They aren't showing it here on our sci fi station either ... :'( I don't know where you're at but I live in the Seattle area.  

DONNA
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2002, 07:16:28 AM »
How cool!  I had no idea it would air so soon.  I hope you all enjoy it--it really is a good ghost story (nearly as good as the Val Lewton RKO films).

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2002, 07:18:29 AM »
To Hell with the SciFi channel Donna....we'll just go rent the bloomin' thing from Blockbuster...... ;)

Raineypark
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2002, 05:27:05 PM »
Don't feel too bad Rainey ......

They aren't showing it here on our sci fi station either ... :'( I don't know where you're at but I live in the Seattle area.  

DONNA

A lotta times, local cable companies will pre-empt late night programs on various channels for infomercials and the such.  When I lived in Alaska, the local cable company did that all the time, including with the Sci-Fi Channel.  It would drive me crazy - I would be up late if I didn't hafta get up, watching some movie, and with only ten minutes or so left it suddenly vanished, replaced by some washed-up, has-been "star" pushing stuff to roast your turkey in five minutes or color your hair in ten, or roast your hair or color your turkey, or whatever.

Gerard

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2002, 06:33:46 PM »
I love that movie. My mom bought it for me for Christmas this year and I think I've watched it about
20 times or so. It was one of my favorites growing up.
I also got House on Haunted Hill with Vincent Price. That is a good one also.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2002, 10:14:57 PM »
Love that movie am going to check my listings now but isn't SCiFI the same throught the country!!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2002, 03:24:59 AM »

Love that movie am going to check my listings now but isn't SCiFI the same throught the country!!

I would have thought so, but from what others are saying, apparently not!

I checked the TV listings in my local newspaper today, and now it says that there is "PAID PROGRAMMING" in that time slot.  (Probably one of those ab tighteners.)

Then I checked TV Guide online, and it said the same thing.  Then I did a search in TV Guide online for "Uninvited," and in my area it's now scheduled to show at 2 a.m. on Friday, April 5.  I'm trying to figure out if that means "late night Thursday" or "late night Friday."

?!?

I kind of doubt the video stores here have it.  The "Blockbuster" store carries mostly just that -- "blockbusters" -- the latest tripe, in other words.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2002, 03:31:47 AM »
I don't know if this will help, but on the SciFi website, while "The Uninvited" is listed under April 4, since each day on their Schedulebot starts and ends at 6 a.m., the way it's showing up (3 a.m. in the East and also via the West Coast feed) is that it's at the very bottom of their April 4 schedule.  But since clear-thinking people consider that a day begins and ends at 12 a.m., that's actually early in the morning on April 5.  So I'd recommend you check your schedule for 3 a.m. ET on Thursday nite/Friday morning instead of early Thursday morning.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys... It's a FANTASTIC movie!