Author Topic: More Storyline Speculation  (Read 7281 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: More Storyline Speculation
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2005, 10:22:02 PM »
Barnabas was the first "monster" on the show.....and everyone cared a great deal about him.

hmm...wasn't Laura really the first 'monster' (non-human)?

Would've been good to see what becomes of some of her offspring (the ones she let live!!)

And...I think, if given enough time...wouldn't people have started popping back & forth between RT & PT?

(Bill collector haunting you??? Well just step on through this door matie!!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2005, 10:31:08 PM »
  But please understand where I'm coming from--

My apologies Midnite.  As Mark said, I was merely doing it to illustrate a point, but I understand your comment
about people getting the wrong idea.

Magnus, it's great to see you here!  

I agree that really good sci-fi is also character driven, but I just don't feel sci-fi meshes very well with DS.  That's not to say DS didn't swipe from sci-fi lore. For example - time-travel is a long-standing staple in sci-fi, and was often employed in Dark Shadows.  However, the time-travel in Dark Shadows is based in occult/supernatural processes as opposed to advanced scientific machinery.  Having a literal, blipping time machine in DS would not have worked at all IMO.  I will say the same for heroic fantasy.  While good fantasy is character-driven, having elves and dragons in the Dark Shadows world wouldn't have worked.  Again, DS did a swipe by mentioning Petofi's unicorn (which was kind of a cool thing to include) but they didn't have the unicorn literally hanging around Collinwood.  While all these genres fall under the "fantasy" banner, I personally don't think they mix well with regards to the DS universe and other strictly gothic horror/romance formats.          

Okay, I just got 100 geek points for even discussing this.  ;D  
  Even the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons is rolling his eyes.  "Geekiest..post...EVER."      

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2005, 10:36:04 PM »
  Okay, I just got 100 geek points for even discussing this.  ;D
  Even the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons is rolling his eyes.  "Geekiest..post...EVER."

[lghy]

It also earned a "curse" from me.  I found it fascinating!

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2005, 10:51:12 PM »
And...I think, if given enough time...wouldn't people have started popping back & forth between RT & PT?

(Bill collector haunting you??? Well just step on through this door matie!!)

LOL, that is most likely if Collinwood had not [spoiler]completely burned to the ground in 1970PT. I remember when they came back from 1995, Quentin came downstairs and said something to the effect of "I just saw the room in the East Wing change, and it was completely burned out!"[/spoiler]

I mean...I guess since he saw that, I guess it's possible that it didn't, but I digress. *wanders off mumbling incoherently*

P.S. Excellent joke. ROFLMAO ;)

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2005, 05:29:23 AM »
ProfStokes, have you read Charles Delaware Troll's amazing continuation of DS?  He wrote DS episode summaries for a year of DS which never actually existed and wrote these summaries in such a way that they were completely in keeping with the nature of the show.  The above plotline is explored during the course of his summaries.  I personally became addicted to reading these.  They are really good IMO.

http://members.aol.com/chasdtroll/mainp.html

I've read them. I personally became addicted to reading them too. They are good. They are a lot different than what Sam Hall nad in mind. You guys should read them.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2005, 08:15:21 AM »
  Okay, I just got 100 geek points for even discussing this.  ;D

I didn't think it was that geeky.  Even so, many of us are geeks so you are in good company on this board.  The Sci-Fi out there doesn't work in the DS universe.  At every point, the supernatural revolves around and/or involves the Collins family.  It's too out there to base it on non-human, pure-monster characters. 

Offline Countess

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2005, 10:22:11 AM »
Well, cousins, I can't let this hot topic go by without throwing in my two cents.  I'm impressed by all the great story ideas submitted by all.  I admit that I liked the Adam storyline (loved those scenes with Julia in the lab tinkering with dials and knobs, and beakers of weird-colored potions) and the Leviathan storyline as well.  I enjoyed watching the Leviathan curse infect the members of Collinwood one by one...until Liz was ready to blow Julia away.  Keep in mind that I was a kid when I first saw this.  The idea of a sea monster is interesting given Collinsport's coastal location and the family business being dependent on the sea.  Although...wasn't the Leviathan serpeant a sea serpeant?  I seem to recall the creature leaving behind a slimy, wet trail of what appeared to  be seaweed after it killed Paul Stoddard.  While gothic horror depends on the viewer/reader caring about the characters, such a non-human creature threatening the Collins family creates challenges for each one.  For instance, new allies or enemies are forged, relationships are tested, personal strength is challenged.  So the introduction of a "threat" shifts the dynamics of the family.  Let's not forget that in the most dire circumstances, Barnabas always managed to fall in love ???.  Hey, let's not let imminent destruction wreck a hot kiss! ;D  I could see Barnabas or Quentin falling in love with a mermaid - gives new meaning to getting some tail 8) 8).  So, I guess no subject is too weird if we concentrate on the characters reaction to it, the interplay between characters and, most important, that it be well written.  How about Data from ST transported to present time Collinwood.  Couldn't you just picture Julia opening his head and poking around inside? [ideab] [ideag] [ideay]  One thing I always questioned about time travel - when Barnabas and Julia travelled to 1995 together - did that mean that 25 years in the future both would have still been alive (and hopefullly together ;))?  If one or the other had died in the intervening years, they wouldn't be able to travel to 1995 because they no longer existed, right?  Unless they swapped bodies like Vicki did with Phyllis Wick since Vicki didn't exist in 1795.  Opinions cousins?

Countess(who is stumbling off her damned soapbox at long last!) 

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2005, 04:00:27 PM »
     Science depicted on DS looked very lame.  I just got through watching Julia try to cure Barnabas by strapping him to a wooden chair and dropping dry ice in a copper kettle.  I know they had a limited budget but I wish they were a little more creative.  I think adding too many monsters to DS and you run the risk of the show looking like Lost in Space.  No offense to Lost in Space fans.  I was in love with Billy Mumy back then.  I watch the show cheesy monsters and all. 
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2005, 04:30:55 PM »
Remember "The Golden Man" episode on Lost in Space, Onyx?  The one that guest-starred our very own Jason Maguire/Paul Stoddard as the handsome alien?  Didn't you just love the scene where he rescues Judy from a "mine field," and the "mines" are nothing more than - some underinflated - beachballs?  Oh, those were the fun days of watching LIS.  As a kid, I never missed an episode and so desperately wanted to be a Robinson if I couldn't be a Collins.  I miss watching LIS on Sci-Fi again, just as I miss watching DS.  Of course, the first season b&w LIS episodes were far superior to the next two seasons of color tales, both in stories, filming, and even special effects.

Anyway, there could have been so many more stories to tell on DS.  I did my own version of CDT's what-would've-happened-if-it-had-continued, drawing up elaborate plot lines, stretching out the series for quite a few more years.  It was all just for fun, and took me months to do.  I started off by having, following the 1841PT story, of having Barnabas, Julia and Eliot returning to Collinwood 1971.  However, because they so drastically changed history (by changing the lineage), that they found an entirely different family living there.  Now what do they do?  While pondering their fate, Collinwood becomes haunted by the ghost of Tad Collins who, it turns out, became a very vile man who appeared to be an abolitionist in 1860, but instead imprisoned, tortured and returned runaway slaves for a hefty profit.  As the members of the family are popped off one-by-one by the vengeful spook, our three heroes go back in time to 1860 to stop the massacre and also manage to set things right and return back to the family they know and love in 1971.  Then followed many, many more tawdry tales, including the return of Jeb Hawkes, Barnabas' return to PT to see how things have fared with Roxanne, Quentin and Maggie (not very well, mind you), Angelique's return (in which she is totally and absolutely good), the haunting of not just Collinwood but all of Collinsport by the angry ghosts of a liberty ship shoddily built in 1944 by Collins Shipping which sunk in a storm during her sea trials, the arrival of a vampire and his teenaged human son in Collinsport, both trying to keep his "condition" a secret and live normal lives, another story in which Roger and Elizabeth temporarily move to London where Roger accidentally becomes involved in a conspiracy of political murder and mayhem ala Manchurian Candidate (and in which Burke Devlin returns, again helping to save the day), Vicki's return, the now-very-popular concept of having a Collins from the future pop back to the present to prevent a catastrophe, a sci-fi diddly in which human-disguised vanguard aliens preparing for an invasion get caught up in Collins intrigue (Willie falling in love with one of them - an alien I mean, not a Collins), the return (again, oh-so-popular) of Count Petofi, and a big blowout in which the family is very literally and completely destroyed by an ancient curse stemming back from the 16th century resulting from the very Irish Collins clan betraying their very Irish copatriots to the occupying English, leaving it to Barnabas to somehow save the day.  I had many, many more stories and plots, but you get the gist.

Oh, my, yes, it was so much fun!

Gerard

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2005, 06:35:20 PM »
I'm rather glad the show didn't get into science fiction monsters and the like, although I think non-human creatures could certainly have been presented in a palatable way. The Leviathans story had a lot of unfulfilled potential, but I will say that the breathing thing in the upper room creeped out this kid more than anything else in the entire DS run. It's a pity the Leviathans (which I still enjoy more than the average DS fan) ended up being such a low-point in the series. The Lovecraftian element could have been a very welcome addition and it did actually work from time to time, especially early in the story arc.

In my Labyrinth of Souls, I explored extra-dimensional horrors, which featured a thoroughly alien monster; however, the focus was not the monster itself but the characters who were both responsible for and affected by it. In the DS world, I think that's really the only way to go about it.

--M
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2005, 01:04:01 PM »
Countess---  There is no reason someone would not be able to go to a point in the future after she/he has died (except that there's no such thing as time-travel).   I'm not sure what the reason would be.    It seems to me that this is like saying you can't go to France because you're not there already.   The astral-projecting thing obviously wouldn't work, since your body doesn't exist in the future, unless you arrive in that somewhat non-corporeal state that Julia arrived in, in 1897.     If you happen upon a staircase that bops you around in time (lucky you), then this difficulty is avoided.    Go with my blessing.

Gerard---   I enjoyed your scenarios.     Personally I'd love storylines where some genuine, obscure details of history are included, such as Petofi and Lord Kitchener, so the liberty ship reference (I don't even know what that is) sounded good to me.

As for Petofi... until the last couple of years, since I got hold of my DS tapes, I'd thought ever since childhood that Petofi had resurfaced in the "present".    I could picture in my head scenes where the 1970 (or so) Collinses were dreading some great disaster for the world should Petofi get his hand back.   Anyway, my fave villain.   Such a gregarious, infectious laugh.    So what, if the character was undermined by the bodyswapping with Q business.     (They didn't even try to sound like each other.)
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2005, 01:18:52 PM »
PS---  Thanks for the welcome, Ms. Dreadful, and once again, primo moniker. 

I vaguely recall the Petofi/unicorn thing.   Was that a reference to something?    What significance was there to that, if any, I wonder?    I don't remember anything about this except that a unicorn was mentioned once.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2005, 08:57:58 PM »
As for Petofi... ...my fave villain.

Agreed. Thayer David was simply brilliant in the role.

Such a gregarious, infectious laugh.

Indeed.

I'd thought ever since childhood that Petofi had resurfaced in the "present".

If only...

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2005, 04:59:31 AM »
I vaguely recall the Petofi/unicorn thing.   Was that a reference to something?    What significance was there to that, if any, I wonder?    I don't remember anything about this except that a unicorn was mentioned once.

[spoiler]It was revealed that back when Count Petofi was cursed by the gypsies, he became a werewolf and killed the only thing he ever really cared for - his unicorn.  I believe they said it was believed to have been the last remaining unicorn on earth, but I'm not positive about that.[/spoiler]

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2005, 07:02:52 AM »
[spoiler]I believe they said it was believed to have been the last remaining unicorn on earth, but I'm not positive about that.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]He was the last man known to own one, which I guess leaves it open to interpretation whether it was the last unicorn or not.[/spoiler]