Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0394  (Read 1809 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0394
« on: September 27, 2007, 03:06:24 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0394
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 05:24:07 PM »
So, what Abigail accomplished by badgering Angelique was to get Angelique to abandon the agreement with Naomi to delay the wedding.  Still, the badgering was a pleasure to watch.

I understand why the bandages around Jeremiah's head are necessary, but it doesn't make me like them any better.  Surely they would have been taken off when he was laid out to be buried.  And even if the head was so mangled that they couldn't avoid the bandages, couldn't they have managed to come up with some clean ones?

Interesting scene between Barnabas and Nathan.  I wonder just how friendly Nathan was with the local abortionist.  If she plied her trade while the Reverend Trask was in town, then she was a brave soul.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:07:06 PM »
Aren't ghosts supposed to look as they did at the moment of death?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 08:23:43 AM »
So whatever may have been done to Jeremiah's body after his death is irrelevant, and the hand that came poking up out of Jeremiah's grave wasn't Jeremiah's actual, physical hand?  I suppose that makes sense, given the ghost's ability to appear and disappear.  But if Jeremiah's ghost looks as he did at the moment of death, I have to wonder why Jeremiah died with his trousers on when he had been bedridden for several days.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 03:06:30 PM »
While he is credited as "Ghost of Jeremiah," I always presumed he was more of a zombie, since he seemed to have a physical presense - rising out of his grave (we saw the hand at least), later carrying Angelique back to his grave to bury her alive, then that marvelous POV shot of Ang looking up at Jeremiah as he drops dirt on top of her.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 06:42:49 AM »
Well, for once, Abigail had it right! [thumb] Too bad she didn't tell Trask about it, and Barnabas didn't believe her.  [sad3] It was fun to watch Angelique manipulate Abigail in such a way as to throw suspicion off of herself and put it back onto Vicki. [cheesyg]

I'm sure the first time I watched this episode, Jeremiah's ghost  was very scary to me. [shkdg] Now he just seems silly. When Barnabas first shot Jeremiah and Anthony George was lying on the ground, his face wasn't mangled in any way. But now it is!  [tongue2] It's too bad AG left the show before he could appear as Jeremiah's ghost. [sadg] I think it would have been more believable that way.

I wonder if Angelique or Jeremiah's ghost trashed the room? [idontknow]

Great episode, as usual. [clap2]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 05:45:35 PM »
I loved it when Abigail was accusing Angelique of witchcraft, and when she said that even if she wasn't a witch, she was still a fortune hunter trying to better her place in society by marrying in to the Collins family. She is definitely smarter than people give her credit for. In any case I loved that scene. Go, Abigail!  [hall_cool]

I liked it when Nathan came to Barnabas and asked if there was anything he could do to help him, he was quite concerned that barnabas might be getting in to an unwanted marriage.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 02:56:01 AM »
Just noticed that Lara Parker's name was skipped in the episode's closing credits.

Is this the closest DS ever got to referencing sex?  (Not counting the marriage bed scene between Carolyn and Jeb Hawkes, of course).  Pretty timid for a daytime soap, even back then I imagine.

In fact, Joshua and Abigail seem a bit dim for not having at least entertained the notion that pregnancy might have been the reason for the hasty surprising marriage.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 09:02:06 AM »
why did Anthony George leave anyway? i've always thought THAT the storyline would have been interesting Had he stayed at least to finish the storyline ya know?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 10:02:13 AM »
My understanding is that Anthony George wanted out, but I don't know why he wanted out.  Did he have another job lined up, or did he just decide that Dark Shadows wasn't his cup of tea?  I would have loved to see the marriage between Jeremiah and Josette play out a little further.  Better yet, a lot further.

Is this the closest DS ever got to referencing sex?  (Not counting the marriage bed scene between Carolyn and Jeb Hawkes, of course).  Pretty timid for a daytime soap, even back then I imagine.
No, it's not.  There's an obvious case later on in the series, but talking about Jeremiah and Josette, I remember the scene in the inn just after their marriage, with J&J and the bed with the Afghan.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 06:53:52 PM »
My understanding is that Anthony George wanted out, but I don't know why he wanted out.  Did he have another job lined up, or did he just decide that Dark Shadows wasn't his cup of tea?

We've discussed different aspects of this in other topics, but the bottom line is that AG insisted on and only had a six month contract. The only reason he did DS was that he hoped it would "revive" his career, which had been in a four year lull. The ironic thing, though, is that his DS stint did indeed revive his career - but mostly so far as appearing on other soaps went because after DS he went on to prominent, long running roles on both Search For Tomorrow and One Life To Live.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 11:22:55 PM »
it was ONLY 6 months? it felt like a LOT MORE upon watching the episodes ya know? & i wonder why the killed "Burke Devilin" off?  they easily could have replaced him. they did it with AG who did a decent job. i've always thought it was EXTREMELY stupid that they killed him off. NOW i can understand why "Mitch Ryan" was fired & sheesh even HE understands it.  & he learned from it as well going sober. buut on the character he was a good character. & granted "Mitch Ryan" did it I think a LOT better than AG did.  i'd rather have the character live on in
another actor IF i must. than have him getting killed ya know?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 07:16:43 AM »
Often there used to be characters at the start of a movie who seemed to be cast as an obvious "wrong boyfriend" (or girlfriend/fiancee, i'm thinking of Bringing Up Baby), someone for the heroine to "get over"... Devlin seemed to be that to me.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 03:09:20 AM »
I loved it when Abigail was accusing Angelique of witchcraft, and when she said that even if she wasn't a witch, she was still a fortune hunter trying to better her place in society by marrying in to the Collins family. She is definitely smarter than people give her credit for.  Go, Abigail!  [hall_cool]

No offense, but I think you're giving Abigail too much credit. Angelique very quickly was able to throw off Abigail's suspicion of her and back on Vicki when Angelique mentioned Vicki being in Sarah's room while Sarah was sick.

Also after Vicki had been jailed, Abigail changed her tune and started being nice to Angelique because Abigial wanted her to testify against Vicki since Angelique was supposed to have "witnessed" Vicki running out of the house after Trask's exorcism of the Old House.