Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #302 - McKechnie; Pennock; Soaps Special; Barnabas Cameo  (Read 813 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
SHADOWGRAM OFFICIAL ONLINE DARK SHADOWS NEWS

Update Number 302
December 3, 2013

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS) announces the following key breaking news in this Official DS News Online Update "bulletin."

**** DONNA McKECHNIE IN ONSTAGE INTERVIEW SHOW
**** CHRIS PENNOCK IN NEW PLAY PERFORMANCE
**** DARK SHADOWS' “BARNABAS” SCENE CLIP IN NEW PBS PROGRAM
**** NEW HISTORY OF DAYTIME SOAPS SPECIAL INCLUDES DS

---- DONNA  McKECHNIE IN PERFORMANCE & INTERVIEW

Donna (Amanda Harris, Olivia Corey) says, “I'm getting very excited to bring a new show to Birdland, Dec. 9. IN GOOD COMPANY is a variety-interview show with special guest, the Tony-Award winning director of KINKY BOOTS, Mr. Jerry Mitchell. Conversation, stories and a few songs along the way. Maybe I can get him to sing and dance with me! It's a Party, come and enjoy the fun!”

Donna has created a series of autobiographical cabaret shows exploring her life, career, and iconic musical plays, creators, performers, characters, and legacies. She will perform and discuss these at NYC’s Birdland Jazz Club this Friday, 12-9 at 7:00, and again on Mon., 1-6-14 at 6:30.

Birdland Jazz Club, 315 W. 44th St., NYC, NY, 10036.   http://birdlandjazz.com/

Tickets off sale: 212-581-3080 for reservations.
Tickets are $30 with a $10 food or beverage minimum (dinner is available).

For 12-9-13 show: http://www.birdlandjazz.com/event/411123-donna-mckechnie-in-good-new-york/
For 1-6-14 show: http://www.birdlandjazz.com/event/363655-donna-mckechnie-in-good-new-york/

Birdland publicity: The show “brings her conversational skills to the forefront, and provides a stage for unique, 1-time-only musical moments with Broadway’s most celebrated and iconic artists.” Donna is “regarded internationally as one of Broadway’s foremost dancing and singing leading ladies.”

Donna’s cabaret show SAME PLACE, ANOTHER TIME opened 1-3-13 at the 54 Below Club in NYC. A recording of the show is due 1-1-14 on Jay Records.

---- CHRIS PENNOCK ONSTAGE IN NEW SHORT PLAY

Chris (Jeb, Cyrus/John, Sebastian, Gabriel) reports he’s in TOMORROWLAND, a new short play to be presented the weekend of 12-13/15.

Publicity: The Lost Studio is “a teaching theater and one of LA’s leading acting schools. (It) offers intensive training and production workshops for beginning through advanced actors, writers, and directors.”
The Lost Theater is at 130 S. La Brea Ave., Los Angeles 90036. (323) 933-6944.
http://theloststudio.com    https://www.facebook.com/theloststudio   Email: theloststudio@gmail.com

---- “BARNABAS MAKES A CAMEO ON PBS”

The new PBS fund-raising/pledge special CLASSICAL REWIND: MY MUSIC began airing on PBS stations nationwide 11-30 and continues for the next few days at various times and dates in different cities. It also will air in future pledge months such as March, 2014. Please check your local listings.

One segment begins with a scene of Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins from the original DS series, when the character returns to the Old House for the first time in 1967.

The program is “an overview of favorite classical compositions…set to a variety of visual images.” Indications are that the DS scene is approximately 8 minutes into the 1½ -hour show, during the “Bach Toccata & Fugue in D Minor.”

Program press release: CLASSICAL REWIND “takes viewers on an incredible journey to explore the music of the masters. This visual and auditory joyride offers a fanciful look at the classical masterpieces, providing spectacular video…to accompany each composition…. Viewer contributions are an important source of funding, making PBS programs possible. PBS and public television stations offer all Americans from every walk of life the opportunity to explore new ideas and new worlds through television and online content.”

--- DS INCLUDED IN NEW HISTORY OF DAYTIME SOAPS SPECIAL

ShadowGram is asked to announce: DS is featured in “a look at the history of daytime soap operas” called WHO SHOT THE DAYTIME SOAPS? The special debuts on the TV Guide Network 12-18 at 8:00pm, with a sneak preview earlier that day at 2:00pm for daytime fans. It includes an interview with Kathryn Leigh Scott.

Thank you.

Marcy Robin

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #302 - McKechnie; Pennock; Soaps Special; Barnabas Cameo
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 09:48:25 PM »
An interesting article/interview about the soap special:

Exclusive Preview: TVGN's Who Shot the Daytime Soap?

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Who Shot Daytime Soaps
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 10:56:38 PM »
I actually thought there was a separate subject....

Did anyone watch the TV ..special.. "Who Shot the Daytime Soaps"?

I watched most of one; it was GREAT to see an opening waves crashing on rocks @ Collinwood w/music and they had a full cast photo (I've seen that one in books and IIRC, here on this DSboard).

There were soap actors who anyone who's been a round for a while would know; I only ever watched ABC soaps, but I certainly knew Linda Dano, "Patch" and many others.

There were maybe 2 sentences about 'women who now work outside the home....' as the reason.

But...I strongly remember it being in "Time" and other 'top news sources' of the day that whole college campuses were gathering together to watch the Luke & Laura wedding.

I *thought* I started to hear *someone* mentioning people might be willing to pay to watch (I'm assuming HuluPlus or Netflix) and I would have been....

I really miss OLTL...

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 02:21:24 AM »
Other than Dark Shadows, I didn't watch soaps, except for a quick excursions in The Edge of Night and that spin-off from General Horsepistals that had the vampire; it was named after some town or something-or-other.  But I appreciate what an entertaining medium it was.  The networks decided that people wanted "talk shows" so out they came, with has-been celebrities interviewing 15-minutes-of-fame celebrities.  It all tanked.  Now daytime TV is dead and people seek out cable/satellite shows.  I'd rather watch a rerun of The Andy Griffith Show than the schlock provided on mainstream channels.  Since all those talk-shows that replaced the soaps have vanished, exactly what do they have on daytime TV?  I don't even know.  Just who are these "marketers" that are considered "experts" hired by mainstream TV?  They blew it.  And just who are the idiots who hired them?

Gerard

David

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »
Since cancelling AMC & One Life to Live, ABC has put on three replacement shows, two of which (The Revolution & the just cancelled Katie) have tanked.
Soap ratings, meanwhile, have risen considerably this past year.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »
I must admit I'm somewhat surprised at the 'Katie' cancellation. more than dreck like 'the chew' she is a well respected journalist with what I thought was a built in audience.

I'm wondering if the network is doing a bit of Monday morning quarterbacking on it's decision to cancel shows with decades worth of viewership with a bunch of disposable junk?

what's obvious from all this is that capturing a substantial daytime audience for any sort of programming is much more difficult than it used to be.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.