Author Topic: Jonathan Frid and Johnny Depp  (Read 3514 times)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Jonathan Frid and Johnny Depp
« on: July 05, 2009, 03:11:51 PM »
I just read in today's (7/5/09) Parade magazine that Jonathan Frid just may do a cameo in Johnny Depp's upcoming DS film. How great is that? [ghost_grin]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Frid and Johnny Depp
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 03:44:25 PM »
Hi Adamsgirl. Thanks for the information. After you posted it I managed to find the link to that Q&A.

http://www.parade.com/celebrity/2009/07/personality-parade-celebrity-moms-090705.html

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 03:52:49 PM »
Great, Jimbo! Thanks.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »
Thanks adamsgirl and jimbo!  It may just be speculation, but I think it'd be awesome if Jonathan could be in it!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »
You are welcome Adamsgirl. That was a nice catch.

Madscntst I would also have to guess that Frid's role in the movie is based on speculation. I would think Depp would love to have Jonathan in the movie. It would be great indeed.

David

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 04:49:18 PM »

I think Depp and Burton would both love to have Frid in the film, as both are fans.
But I'd like to know where the info comes from~~Frid declined to do the audio dramas and declined a small role in the WB pilot.
As much as I'd love to see him in the film, I'm not going to expect it.

David

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 05:07:01 PM »
Exactly David, I think that Personality Parade is basically just a gossip column, and I have caught many mistakes/fabrications by them in the past.  Still, giving JF a cameo is just the sort of thing that Johnny and Tim would probably love to do, but only if they can get something suitable into the script (and if JF were to agree to it, of course!).  (Eagle Hill Cemetary caretaker??  Another cousin from England??)  I'll be hoping!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 05:28:54 PM »
SG Update #196 announced this:
**** DS ARTICLE IN PARADE MAGAZINE

A photo of Jonathan Frid as "Barnabas" and information about DS and the Newark Fest will be in the Personality Parade column on Page 2 of Parade Magazine 7-5. The magazine is "seen by some 80 million readers in 400 U.S. papers each Sunday."

I would hardly call it an "article."  [ghost_huh]  But obviously SG was aware it would be printed this weekend, so that might give a bit more credence to the possibility that Frid will or has been offered the cameo. Though, as others have pointed out, he hasn't taken up any such offers in the past.

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
DS Mention in Parade Magazine
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 05:12:31 AM »
If you get this with your Sunday papers, you may have noticed this (with a classic "Barnabas" photo) in the "Personality Parade" Q&A feature.
Scroll down, next-to-last question--- alas, no photo here.

http://www.parade.com/celebrity/2009/07/personality-parade-celebrity-moms-090705.html 
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

MirandaD

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 05:17:16 AM »
I doubt that Frid will be in the movie.  I was there at fest when the subject came up about being offered a small part in the '04 pilot.  I can't recall his exact words, but his answer made it pretty clear that he didn't want to be traipsing around Hollywood with the stress of being on a movie/tv set at his age.  If somebody can better recall his exact words, I'd appreciate a refresher on them!   

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 12:09:20 PM »
Well, JF turned down the offer of working in the radio dramas because he didn't want (and won't) re-create Barnabas again.  Back in 2003 or so when the new pilot was being made, JF wasn't attending festivals or doing anything professionally.  He was pretty much enjoying retirement. 

JF is in a very different place now in 2009. 

Just saying . . .

nancy

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 10:06:27 PM »
In any case, as much as I would love to see JF in a "cameo" appearance, I can't imagine him doing so because he seems to have turned down other opportunities before.  But who knows??  What role do you think he would play though?  Anything is possile in Hollywood I guess.
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 10:37:02 PM »
What role do you think he would play though?  Anything is possile in Hollywood I guess.

Frid in drag as Liz or Naomi could be a wonderful challenge for him - and fascinating to watch.  [ghost_cheesy]  But I suppose they won't be going there - especially when one would hope that if Liz or Naomi appear, her part won't simply be a cameo.

One also has to remember that the film is supposedly shooting entirely in England. Though, if Frid did decide to accept a role and he wasn't up to traveling to England, perhaps his bit could be shot here or even in Canada...

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 10:49:30 PM »
Frid is a good mimic and could probably play Julia with a little make-up and a nice dress.   Anything but orange or green though.

nancy

MirandaD

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 12:08:32 AM »
I'm afraid I was unclear in my previous post when I mentioned that Frid reacted negatively to being in films or TV again.. that was last year, at the '08 fest in Burbank. 

Of course, he could have changed his mind since then.  I would love to see him in the new movie!