Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0786  (Read 477 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0786
« on: September 09, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »
Robservations #786

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0786[/url]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0786
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »
Quentin screams in pain--the hand doesn't appear to be helping. Quentin lets out a particularly blood-curdling scream, and the hand vanishes. He slowly stands up and tells Magda, The pain is gone. The hand _did_ help, Magda exults, but Quentin corrects her: The pain always stops just before-- Just before the transformation, she finishes in horror as she takes out her pentagram in fear. Sure enough, one moment Quentin is leaning on the mantelpiece, the next moment the much shorter Alex Stevens, in full werewolf regalia and wearing a darker suit, has replaced him. The creature lunges at Magda, but she holds up her pentagram. Repelled, the werewolf backs away from her and runs out of the house.

Trask brings Charity to Collinwood. As she looks around the splendid mansion--now her own home--and expresses concern for the school. Her father replies, You must bear in mind that my marriage to Judith carries with it certain burdens and responsibilities--not the least of which is the time-consuming management of this estate. [And besides, the faculty has been pretty much wiped out.] Charity correctly infers that the school will be closing. Trask reminds her of her mother's fervent wish that Charity will become a Collins. He notes that there's still one eligible bachelor left. Quentin, Charity says, her eyes lighting up. Trask is sure that Charity can reform Quentin's character.

Magda knocks on the front door; Trask opens it. I got to see Beth, she says. You will see no one in the house without _my_ permission, he says. Oh, Mr. Trask, she says, it didn't take you long to become the master of this house. Not long at all, he says. One of my first duties concerns you. Come into the drawing room--excuse us, Charity. Never willing to give up a chance to spar with Trask, Magda follows him. I'm going out to say a prayer at my mother's grave, Charity says. I made a vow to go there each day. Get back as soon as you can, Trask says.

Trask bluntly gives Magda and Sandor twenty-four hours to pack up and leave. Utterly unconcerned, Magda replies, Oh, _Mister_ Trask, when you threaten people, don’t do it from weakness. He smiles as he replies, I can prove to the sheriff that you were helping Barnabas. That’s true, she parries, but I also have something to tell the sheriff: I sold Tim Shaw the deadly nightshade that killed your poor wife. The sheriff knows you made an alibi for Tim. I don’t care _why_ you did it, but the sheriff will. Do we understand each other? Furious at being blackmailed, Trask replies through gritted teeth, Yes, I believe we do. With a deep, mocking curtsy, she goes upstairs to see Beth, and Trask stabs the letter-opener into the little writing desk.

Meanwhile, the werewolf stalks Charity. It climbs up its favorite rock. She sees it and very sensibly screams and runs. The werewolf chases her.

Trask is staring up at Barn's portrait when Magda emerges from the servants' door. Beth wasn't in her room, she tells Trask. Have you seen her this evening? No, Trask says with angry concision. If you do, tell her I'll come back later, Magda says as if he were the servant. Before he gets a chance to say whether he will or not, they hear Charity screaming just outside. Magda flings open the door, and Charity flings herself into her father's arms and tells them that she saw the creature in the woods. I'll have the police come, Trask tells her. It must be the same creature that attacked Judith. Alarmed for private reasons of her own, Magda offers to take Charity upstairs. That isn't necessary Trask huffs. The girl is frightened and needs the understanding of a woman, Magda insists. Very well, Trask agrees grudgingly--but see to it that she goes right to bed. While Magda takes Charity up to her room, Trask does the manly thing and phones the sheriff.

Magda has settled Charity in bed with a cup of tea. Charity is recovered enough to be curious about Quentin--well, about everyone at Collinwood. But especially Quentin? Magda asks, teasing her a little, relieved that Charity’s interest is of the most innocent kind. I know Quentin was married once, Charity says. What happened to his wife? She’s dead, Magda says flatly. Sorrow flashes across her face, but she quickly recovers and takes out her pack of tarot cards. I can look into the future with these, she tells Charity. When Charity hesitates, Magda adds, I won’t charge you anything. Charity agrees, so Magda deals out five cards on the lap tray, then turns them over one by one.

The central card represents Charity--La Force, showing Hercules killing the Nemean lion. It's a good sign, Magda says. If right is on your side, you will master the events of your life. Charity smiles at this prospect. Magda turns over one of the surrounding cards, La Lune--The Moon! A bad card, Magda says--it represents a secret revealed. I don’t understand, Charity says. The next card is Les Aimants, The Lovers, which means marriage--but the card is inverted, so it means separation or infidelity. Neither Charity nor Magda likes this one. The last two cards are the Tower of Destruction, inverted; and the Hanged Man, also inverted. Magda tells Charity unhappily, There will be a man in your life very soon, and you will be very attracted to him. But you should stay away from him--he is bad, evil, destructive! Charity looks really upset at this.

In the woods, a constable tells Trask that they've set out some bear traps and warns him to be careful. When Trask returns to Collinwood, he warns Magda about the traps--and adds that she could make her life easier by helping him and Edward find Barnabas. Abruptly she tells him to go see his daughter: She needs you more than I do.

Even though the script is by Gordon Russell and not Violet Welles, Charity sleeps and has a dream: She sees lights and hears music. Quentin is sitting--somewhere--in a chair, listening to his favorite tune on the Victrola. The darkness is lit by a single chandelier. Charity herself approaches from the shadows and calls his name. I’ve been waiting for you, he says as he rises from the chair. She steps toward him with a look of longing. I missed you so much while you were away, she tells him. I missed you, too. he replies. I don’t want you to go away agin, ever, Charity pleads. I feel so lonely without you. Our destinies are guided by the strange wheel of fortune, he tells her. Don’t you remember Magda telling you that? Yes, Charity replies, and I didn’t understand it, but it frightened me. It frightened me too, Quentin says. Many things frighten me, he continues, the strange wheel of fortune, the Tower of Destruction, and the moon--the most frightening of all. Why? Charity asks. That is a secret that no one must know, Quentin replies. I don’t think about it when you are here and I’m listening to my music. It frees my soul and allows me to dream, he tells her. Listen carefully, and you will hear my dream. As the music starts up again, he recites a poem (and very nicely too) as they gaze at one another lovingly:

Shadows of the night
Falling silently
Echo of the past
Calling you to me

Haunting memories
Veiled in misty glow
Phantom melody
Playing soft and low

In this world that we know now
Life is here, then gone
But somewhere in the afterglow
Love lives on and on

Dreams of long ago
Meet in rendezvous
Shadows of the night
Calling me to you

He stands up, takes Charity in his arms, and kisses her slowly and passionately. They move apart as the music ends. It’s beautiful, Charity whispers. Go upstairs and wait for me, he tells her, I’ll be there in a little while. She turns to walk away, but suddenly hears growling. What’s that sound? she asks, already fearful. Quentin leans back, shuts his eyes, and tells her, I hear only my music. No! It’s that animal, she says frantically, the animal that attacked me. Still sitting in his chair, eyes shut, lost in his music, Quentin murmurs, Goodnight, Charity. The next moment, the animal springs up from behind Quentin’s chair. It’s in the room with us! Charity cries. Peaceful and soothing, Quentin murmurs, ignoring Charity completely. Help me, Quentin, save me! Charity screams, but he doesn’t budge, so she runs away in terror. The werewolf calmly stands behind Quentin’s chair as he tells her, The wheel of fortune spins, Charity. You mustn’t be frightened by it. Good night, my darling. Good night, good night, good night.… The camera closes in on the chandelier lights that started the dream.

Charity wakes up abruptly, but for the first and possibly only time in the history of Collinwood, she does NOT scream. Instead she covers her racing heart with her hand.

In the woods, the werewolf attacks the constable while he’s setting another trap. As they struggle, the creature howls in pain as its foot gets caught in the trap....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 12:41:24 AM »
We get a close-up of Quentin's face, as he transforms.  Here's how I want it: the close up of D Selby, dissolving to a close-up of the top of the  werewolf's head, then the camera quickly moves down to get his face, since, you know, he's so much shorter... I didn't even notice the different suit DL!

Charity moves into Collinwood.  Dad encourages a marriage with sinful    Quentin for material gain, while Charity's face goes all transfixed and everything at the thought of romancing Quentin.  My thought was, "Going mountain climbing, Charity?"  That must be what it would be like, sort of...

Trask and Magda come to an "understanding"... they trade threats, the situation stabilizes back to where it was, with the gypsies (one always offscreen) still in the Old House.  Revealing her poison sale to Tim would be a disaster for her too though... Anyway, the conversations ends with a nicely sarcastic curtsy to Trask from Magda!

Charity meets the wolf in the woods.  Magda reads the cards for her in her bedroom later.... Natalie and Magda, like night and day, yet linked by the cards...  Charity has a good bad dream about Quentin, in which the danger to her is trying to make itself plain to her, from somewhere... The link between Q and wolf tries to announce itself, but can't. 

Wolf's foot in trap... end.  Nemean lion eh?  I'd Google but it's a very bad day.  We get Selby's onscreen rendition of his 45, for the first time.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 01:57:04 PM »
I remember that Quentin's Theme was at no. 1 on the pop charts for quite a while while these eps. were being shown.