Author Topic: Are We Down?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Are We Down?
« on: February 20, 2004, 09:33:29 PM »
For this afternoon, every time I try to get on, it's just not happening.

Is our Mysterious Benefactor doing something? Or is it my firewall?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Are We Down?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 10:13:03 PM »
Well, Patti....since we managed to get HERE....we're not down!  :D

But the forum did begin to drag as the morning wore on and by noon it was just too slow to put up with so I left.

Notice how we always blame MB when things slow down?

Wonder why that is......[vryevl]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 02:10:35 AM »
since we managed to get HERE....we're not down!  :D

I'm down with that.  ;D

Notice how we always blame MB when things slow down?

My first thought was to blame our web host.  Yeah, I'm going with that-- it's our web host's fault!

Anyway, the problem seems to be behind us now.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 08:24:12 AM »
A couple of nights ago I experienced a B-I-G  slowdown.  I finally opened a 2nd Netscape window and then IE.  I'd click on a different topic in each one, so that the other two could be loading while I was reading one.  It was still v-e-r-y slow!!

Since then, though, all has been fine.
Josette

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 09:02:11 AM »
I've been having some problems for the past couple of nights that may or may not be related to the board.  I constantly get disconnected from the Internet while browsing dsboards, and when I am able to read the topics succesfully, they take a very long time to load, just as Raineypark mentioned.

ProfStokes

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 10:46:54 AM »
Same here.  Slow downs - some are very big.  It comes and goes.  Glad to know I'm not the only one.  Got enough computer troubles.  Has anyone ever had their recycle bin icon keep changing?  Oh brother.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 09:16:28 AM »
My problem is when Im trying to post a reply.  Everything else is working okay for me and I have no trouble opening up topics or waiting for them to load.  But, as soon as I try to post a reply to the board, it takes forever and a day to do so.   I usually hit "preview" first, and that works fine.    Today while waiting for my reply to post I finally got thrown off and then got a message asking me if I wanted to send an "error report" to Microsoft?   Im wondering if everyone's problem's here has something to do with Microsoft itself and not the board?   Has anyone else ever gotten this message? ???

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 04:26:13 PM »
I'm a Microsoft user also, Cassandra.....but I've never seen that error message.  :- 
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 05:20:55 PM »
Today while waiting for my reply to post I finally got thrown off and then got a message asking me if I wanted to send an "error report" to Microsoft?   Im wondering if everyone's problem's here has something to do with Microsoft itself and not the board?

In the rare instances when I've actually used IE to surf, I've gotten that message - though I haven't gotten it on the forum. However, I've also gotten a similar message in Netscape while visiting other sites. I suppose that occasionally either a Web site sends out info that gets garbled somewhere along the way and the browser just doesn't understand it or the browser itself has a nervous breakdown. The point of sending the info to Microsoft or Netscape is so they can review the data the browser collected and hopefully figure out a fix in the next release (though in IE's case supposedly Microsoft doesn't plan to ever issue another upgrade  :- ).

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 05:59:03 PM »
     I got the same message as Cassandra.  The board as been loading very slowly on and off for a week.  I thought it was because MB was working on something so I didn't mention it.  It sounds like more people are having difficulties.  I have not been disconnected, though.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2004, 10:48:43 PM »
I don't know what was going on while the forum was recently down this afternoon. (There's no message posted on our host's Web site.) But since things have come back online I've noticed that for me everything is responding quicker than it ever has. (For example, the BoardIndex page created in only 1.024 seconds and the More Stats page created in only 2.895 seconds.) Perhaps they've installed some sort of an upgrade to the MySQL server. Or maybe I'm just lucky.  ;)

I suppose time will tell...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 12:53:32 AM »
since things have come back online I've noticed that for me everything is responding quicker than it ever has.

Same here.  If that's the reason we were offline, it was certainly worth it.

I hope it stays this way!