Author Topic: New Forum Questions  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Questions
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2004, 04:05:42 AM »
The occasional "new" on an old listing is still continuing.  Yesterday there was a post by Midnite listed as new but I had read it the previous time.

Today the Current Talk X board indicated a new item, but when I checked, the most recent item was from more than a week ago.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2004, 04:44:21 AM »
The occasional "new" on an old listing is still continuing.  Yesterday there was a post by Midnite listed as new but I had read it the previous time.

That will continue to happen until we install a version of the forum's system in which it's been fixed. Presumably that will be the next release. But who knows? 

Today the Current Talk X board indicated a new item, but when I checked, the most recent item was from more than a week ago.

That archive board was just created today and those posts were moved to it. As I've mentioned before:

I had assumed something had been moved to the archive recently, but all of these were definitely old posts that had regained their "new".

The "Members' Mausoleum Archive" and most of the boards in it were just created yesterday afternoon, and whenever old posts are moved to any newly created board they regain their "new" status.

So, those posts there should have had "new" tags.  :)  And there are still several more posts that will be moved to both Current Talk X and the newly created (over the weekend) Calendar Events / Announcements '04 I.  ;)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2004, 08:30:37 AM »

That archive board was just created today and those posts were moved to it. As I've mentioned before:

So, those posts there should have had "new" tags.  :)  And there are still several more posts that will be moved to both Current Talk X and the newly created (over the weekend) Calendar Events / Announcements '04 I.  ;)

That make sense, except I would then expect all the posts to say new and only the last one did.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2004, 06:58:29 PM »
That make sense, except I would then expect all the posts to say new and only the last one did.

Now, THAT IS interesting - and it's an important detail I didn't get from your previous post.

On this system I don't get the "new" icons for moved topics or the new posts indicator icon for the archive boards because I'm the one doing the moving, but I'd assumed (always dangerous  ;)) that everyone else was still seeing them. However, I just experimented on the duplicate version of the forum that I have on my own computer by creating an archive board and moving several topics to it and then logging in under another ID  - and none of the topics I'd moved showed "new" icons on the archive board - though the board itself did show the new posts indicator (as you had explained). Apparently, unlike YaBB SE, this new system doesn't show the "new" icons simply because topics have been moved to another board, and that's definitely an excellent improvement because it simplifies matters for all of us.  :)

The only explanation I can come up with for why that one topic in Current Talk X had the "new" icon is that it was probably because of the same glitch that's occasionaly causing random topics to regain that icon. And thanks for adding the detail about only the one "new" icon because who knows when I might have otherwise realized improvements have been made in the topic moving tool?  ;)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2004, 03:53:10 AM »
Glad it helped - I almost didn't bother posting a reply!!

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't remember if the one item had a "new" on it or not.  The board showed the new indicator and the last post was listed, so I assumed that  that was the new item, but when I went there, it was more than a week old.  So, at this point, I don't recall if there actually was a "new" tag or if I was just assuming it was that last post.

Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2004, 03:40:39 AM »
Just thought I'd mention that occasionally I'll still have an item indicating "new" and it turns out to be something I read the previous day - it's usually just the one item and everything else really IS new and it's just every once in a while.

But today, there were 2 items indicated as "new" in Current Topics X and the first (oldest) of those was from July 31.

From one of the responses above, it seems this is something you have to work on someday, but thought I'd provide an update.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2004, 04:32:22 AM »
occasionally I'll still have an item indicating "new" and it turns out to be something I read the previous day - it's usually just the one item and everything else really IS new and it's just every once in a while.

We've noticed that modified posts will regain a "new" tag for visitors who have already read it.  If you've read a post and the "new" tag reappears it was probably edited, though you'd be hard pressed in most cases to notice the change because it's usually something as benign as a moderator fixing the code in a post or removing several lines of black space, and as you said it only happens once in a while.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2004, 07:59:06 AM »
.... in most cases to notice the change because it's usually something as benign as a moderator fixing the code in a post or removing several lines of black space

This still never ceases to amaze me.  You guys must be very tidy housekeepers - your homes must be immaculate.

-CLC   ;D
(Who would hire a housekeeper AND a cook if she were rich)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2004, 08:07:28 AM »
Apparently the main board knows even if the boards under it don't.  I came back now to find 2 listings after my last post.  One in each category.  I looked at the new one in CE/A.  Current Talk did NOT show a "new" indicator.  When I went to the board, there was a "new" tag by one topic and the last post there was one I had read before.

So, while that board still put the "new" on it, the main topic heading knew not to!!!
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 08:37:14 AM »
Current Talk did NOT show a "new" indicator.  When I went to the board, there was a "new" tag by one topic and the last post there was one I had read before.

You may also have noticed that the post was half the size it was when you first opened it mostly due to
removing several lines of blank space

So, while that board still put the "new" on it, the main topic heading knew not to!!!

Yes, the board listing does not light up for edits.