Author Topic: DS fest 2008- This is Sara (I got an account on here)  (Read 3149 times)

Offline nightshadows342

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Fan Videos
DS fest 2008- This is Sara (I got an account on here)
« on: July 24, 2008, 05:43:38 AM »
Hey guys and girls,

I was at the ds fest in Burbank this last weekend and my girl Angela told me to get on here and lo-and-behold I happened to already have an account!  I suppose the easiest way for me to identify myself to those who were at the fest is that I did the skit thing on Saturday that had a lot of technical difficulties in which I was playing Carolyn with a blond wig on. I don't know anyone's user-name so let me know who you are!

Anyway, the fest was fun- I mostly was hanging around Johnnie Karlen, and hung out with friends (Angela!) in the lobby area dancing around and doing ballet. LOL!  I didn't get to meet Robert Rodan, Or Robert Colbert- whom by the way was HILARIOUS when he was talking onstage.
I didn't manage to catch David Selby either, but I got KLS, Lara Parker(who acted snobby and rude), and Jerry Lacy-who I like a lot.  It's funny to get a picture with him because he does look a lot like Bogart-who is our relative! LOL, so we look almost like family. I saw Roger Davies who seemed really out of it. He said that it was the first fest that he had been invited to for quite awhile-poor guy- I feel kind of bad for him, though John Karlen was mad at him because of comments he made about Don Briscoe's drug habit.

Johnnie seemed rather depressed. He said he hated LA and that his best friend had just died. He left the banquet early too as he described
the food as mush and went to go order himself a steak.

Anyway, it's hard trying to type on this Ipod (it is so slow and difficult to get it move up to edit some of this jargon. So I'll just post this thing. I'm in Palm Springs right now and it's super hot!  I'll be going home to Tennessee on Monday from the LAX airport, so it should be interesting!

Sara
Dark Shadows Fan Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/scareolyn

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DS fest 2008- This is Sara (I got an account on here)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 06:30:35 AM »
Johnnie seemed rather depressed. He said he hated LA and that his best friend had just died.

Guess that explains why he seemed so pre-occupied with death during his time Friday night.
"Where were you when I was turned into something even my own father loathed..."

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 06:44:10 AM »
Hi, Sara [wavey]

I think we met briefly during your ballet practice on Sunday (I had the white dress with rose embroidery). I was also in the costume gala ("Needles and Pins" Angelique) and thought you were excellent as Carolyn.

Johnnie seemed rather depressed. He said he hated LA and that his best friend had just died. 

That surprises me.  Karlen actually struck me as being more cheerful than usual this year.  Although usually a wisecracker, in recent years he's tended to be a bit morose and leaned more toward dark humor.  I'm sorry to hear about his friend dying. :(

ProfStokes

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 07:33:38 AM »
I'm glad Karlen has the black humor to lean on.  It certainly helps me.

Maybe Lara has to be snooty to carry off that character.   Maybe it takes big personalities to do classic, forceful characters, and we should be grateful and appreciative that they're not always "nice" in the traditional sense.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 08:59:10 AM »
Welcome back, nightshadows342!

Offline nightshadows342

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 08:22:24 PM »
ah yes, Profstokes, I know exactly who you are!  Your skit was hilarious. You make those songs up every year-kudos! They have all been very entertaining.

Oh by no means did I expect any of the actors to be friendly. I work in a rich area so I know very well the snooty ways of certain people, though as far as "big personaility" I don't really think she seemed to have any. But hey, It's fine though, she's at least been consistent every year. She has done absolutely nothing to show me a side beside from that I have seen and I am hardly saying that she is like that to everyone.  However, I don't think you need a certain personaility to pull off a certain character-why, that's an insult to her acting.   

Thanks for the welcome back,  I appreciate it!
Dark Shadows Fan Videos:

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 02:02:55 AM »
That surprises me.  Karlen actually struck me as being more cheerful than usual this year.  Although usually a wisecracker, in recent years he's tended to be a bit morose and leaned more toward dark humor.  I'm sorry to hear about his friend dying. :(

I agree.  I spoke to John on Saturday and sat with him during autographs on Sunday.  He seemed in great spirits for most of the weekend.  Until things were winding down Sunday night.  People were already heading into the banquet and he saw that there were still people waiting for autographs.  He finished signing but was grumpy about it.  He also refused to sit at his table during the banquet.  The last fest he was at 2 years ago, he also spent zero time at his table.  I haven't heard any reaction from this year, but two years ago people were very unhappy with him for not sitting at his table.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline bananabry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 08:57:46 AM »
Hey, Sara,

I just joined myself.  It's good to see you here and I'm glad you recall ProfStokes.  Se really was great in the skit and Gala.  And, how about her Banquet dress.  You guys are fabulous dancers (I'm finally walking again after our ballet practice).

You guys were great in the Gala, and I saw your 2006 show on YouTube.

Have a great vacation and I hope to see you again here soon.

[ghost_smiley]  These emoticons are great.

Offline nightshadows342

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 09:30:16 AM »
I spoke to John on Saturday and sat with him during autographs on Sunday.  He seemed in great spirits for most of the weekend.  Until things were winding down Sunday night.  People were already heading into the banquet and he saw that there were still people waiting for autographs.  He finished signing but was grumpy about it.  He also refused to sit at his table during the banquet.  The last fest he was at 2 years ago, he also spent zero time at his table.  I haven't heard any reaction from this year, but two years ago people were very unhappy with him for not sitting at his table.

Oh really? What did he say? Tell me more! I saw him signing autographs on Saturday night and he threw a bit of a tantrum down there as I was passing by. "no more! I'm done! Finished!" he was shouting at his long line. then he stormed off.

Hey Bryan! Great to see you on here!
Dark Shadows Fan Videos:

Offline bananabry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 09:43:15 AM »
Hey, you.

As I just said in my email, the celebs with whom I have worked are all pretty nice people.  No name dropping, but they aren't all bad.  Some are actually pretty great.

Can anyone say "Jack Sparrow?"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum, bananabry. And welcome back, nightshadows342.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »
Oh really? What did he say? Tell me more! I saw him signing autographs on Saturday night and he threw a bit of a tantrum down there as I was passing by. "no more! I'm done! Finished!" he was shouting at his long line. then he stormed off.

Yeah I was still sitting with him when he did that.  I took that as him just being dramatic and silly.  He did finish signing for everyone and went upstairs to get ready for the banquet.  He never stormed. 
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 01:28:46 AM »
I guess the sham rage must be his schtick.  I accidentally walked in front of him at the banquet.  While trying to take a photo of some friends at their table, I heard a voice to my right growl, "Get out of my way."  It was John Karlen.  I grinned sheepishly, said, "Sorry, Johnny," and stepped aside.  Then he winked and told me he was just kidding.   [ghost_nowink]

ProfStokes

Offline Breebell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 01:32:47 AM »
That storming off John Karlen did Saturday night was just him joking around.
I was in that line, about five back, so I was disappointed at first that I wouldn't get an autograph,
but he assured each of us that we could take cuts the next day to get our pics signed.

And he was so cute and over the top "I'm about to stroke!  My arm is numb!", that I thought that was more fun than the autograph.
He was making eye contact and I know as he passed my friend he touched her gently on the arm as he went by, so he was most
definitely not storming off, but I can see that it might have looked like it to someone just passing through.

He was tired.  He was only supposed to stay till 9:00, and he left at about 10:30.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 01:47:02 AM »
Yeah I think he just like to be a bit of a trickster and joke around. A few years back at an East coast fest I was in the gift shop with about 6 other people just browsing and he walked in and said very loudly " No autographs, I can't sign another damn autograph" and then he laughed because the woman closest to him kind of ran out fast. Then everyone laughed. It was funny and he said he felt bad for giving her a scare. [ghost_wink]
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"